PDA

View Full Version : Installed head unit, dash lights not working?

bLAdEbLA
04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey, installed a head unit into a 95 Magna for a friend, but now the dash lights and auto gear shifter lights don't go on

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

M4DDOG
04-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Yes it's a blown fuse, replace the fuse in the engine bay that protects your interior lights and all will be fixed :)

eek
04-10-2006, 05:48 PM
yeah, check for loose wires..make sure you insulate EVERYTHING and check all fuses...

maybe the headlights aren't turned on :P

maybe the dimmer switch isn't plugged in :P

Benny111111
04-10-2006, 06:18 PM
:bowrofl: when i installed my first head unit i wired the power cable on my h/u to my dash light cable. And when i played my cd player with evey beat the dash lights would dimm :bowrofl:

Sousuke-Sagara
04-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Try this link http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27968&highlight=dash+lights+laugh

i had the same problem when i installed my H/U and that thread helped me alot

bLAdEbLA
06-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Just an update to people so they don't make the same mistake...

The reason this happened was because of incomplete wiring instructions of the original head unit loom.

We ended up improvising and what we did is we used the "lights on" wire as a ground wire (because it worked as a grounding point)
And once the lights were switched on, it blew the fuse and still worked as a ground wire.

So, snipped that wire, taped it up, grounded deck to chassis, and changed fuse. Works perfect now

stereo_god
06-10-2006, 06:23 AM
no its not the incorrect wiring instructions. the stock headunits usually ground through the light circuit partially. i made the same mistake on the first head unit i did. exept we had a wiring diagram from mitsubishi bout what each pin was. so as a leason always use a seperate ground for new equipment. you should also run new wire for the main power with a 15 amp fuse in the engine bay. the stock stuff cannot supply the power for a new headunit power

bLAdEbLA
06-10-2006, 12:05 PM
The issue here was that the wiring diagram we had was incomplete, so there were a few wires that that were left over (for front left speaker, and ground)
With trial and error we hooked up the speaker to work while using the chassis as a ground point, and then tried the 1 wire left over and worked perfectly as a ground

Unfortunately though there was a ground wire already which we could see connected to the chassis but as we didn't pull out the original head deck ourselves we didn't really think much of it. Now I realise the original HU would have used that for grounding

Sousuke-Sagara
06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Take the light ground off
it grounds threw the body of the car lol

when i installed mine i hooked it upto ground aswell and kept blowing fuses so i disconnected the ground wire all up and it works fine now