PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake / Air Cleaner Assembly

akko
21-01-2004, 06:29 AM
With reference to the attached diagram, can anyone tell me what the purpose of "Resonator A" (Part No. 7) is?

http://members.westnet.com.au/akko81/air-filter-cleaner.jpg

1. Air cleaner element
2. Breather hose
3. Air flow sensor
4. Gasket
5. Air cleaner cover
6. Air intake hose assembly
7. Resonator A
8. Resonator B
9. Air intake hose
10. Air duct
11. Air cleaner body

Thanks

Matt
21-01-2004, 07:11 AM
Resonator A has the same purpose as Resonator B. :lol:

Seriously though, the intake resonators are there to reduce intake noise. Taking these 1-2 boxes out will increase the noise made by the air passing through. People have different opinions about taking them out or keeping them in, but at the end of the day its your decision.

If you are going to take them out you will need to plug the holes with something. Alot of people use Gatorade / Powerade lids, as these fit perfectly and u just do up the clamp and they dont go anywhere, for added security u can use some silicon around the edges so that it is perfectly sealed and that they dont fall out.

I have had mine out for over 4months now, and havent had any problems, i did get sick of the engine note and put the smaller resonator box back in a couple weeks ago. But apart from that, it's a quick and easy mod, which if u dont like u can always put back the way it was.

akko
21-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks - thats kinda what i thought, fortunately i didn't take it out just for the sake of removing it... it was taken out soley to make way for my Front Strut Tower Brace.

http://www.magnaclub.org/images/wa_gallery/wa079.jpg

If you look at this pic of Manual's car before he got his K&N Pod filter and CAI, he has his rotated at 90 degrees to allow for it to fit with the Strut Brace installed, but in my case it was decided to remove it all together & plug the whole to avoid the possibility of it knocking against the strut brace whilst the engine was running/vibrating etc.

cheers.

dingo
21-01-2004, 01:07 PM
the resonators do more than just cut the noise!!! its kinda hard to explain but its all to do with getting the air to flow more smoothly into the motor!! they have resonators between filters, sensors etc to catch rebounds of pressure cause by closing the throttle!!

(if you want to picture that in your head, make a wave in the water in a long tub, then stick something in front of the wave and it will bounce back.... if you have some hols back in the tub they will soak up the rebound wave... kinda the way your exhaust works to cut noise as well!!)

Hope this helps a little... they may not make a great difference but every bit helps!!

~Al

akko
21-01-2004, 01:19 PM
When considering the future line of modifications i would like to do to my Magna.... the benefits of having the strut brace far out weigh that of the resonator still being there in it's stock application.

...especially seeing asthough it'd likely only be removed latter down the track anyways.

Tiphareth
21-01-2004, 09:19 PM
mate. one question. where do you get ALL these diagrams?!?!

Trav

Manual
21-01-2004, 10:57 PM
i thought that underhood shot looked dirtyly familiar!! haha

Manual

akko
22-01-2004, 07:40 AM
mate. one question. where do you get ALL these diagrams?!?!

Trav

Rember someone posted a link to where you could download the cd-image of the Workshop Service Manual for the TJ Magna...think it may have been TBuTcher...

See this thread:
http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3638

akko
22-01-2004, 07:42 AM
i thought that underhood shot looked dirtyly familiar!! haha

Manual

Curious, have you ever experienced any knocking of the Resonator on your strut brace whilst it's been rotated at 90 degrees like that?