PDA

View Full Version : Explosive seat belt

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 05:38 PM
So this post is totally unrelated to Magnas in every way shape and form.

My partner just upgraded to a 08 380vrx from a 97 Barina.

Im in the process of cleaning up the Barina to get it nice and roadworthy so we can sell it.

I have discovered the seat belt buckle/clip that bolts to the floor is broken...
So I called Holden first today to price on a new one...

They want over $600, there reason being that apparently in the 97 Barina there is an explosive device attached to the belt so that in the instance of an accident it tightens the belt about 15cm.

I think i may have nearly managed to source a second hand one, (guys going to call me back) it will cost about 120buks.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before and knows if it is an easy task to replace one of them.

Cheers,
Mitch

Black Beard
22-07-2009, 05:45 PM
And we felt the need to post this in at least 3 different sections, despite the fact it has nothing to do with magnas...... why?

gtrtwinturbo
22-07-2009, 05:58 PM
have heard of them but $600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Surprisingly couldnt find a barina forum that appeared to be active.

Im of the oppinion that members might not "float around the forums"

So this way,
by posting in 3 completly different areas qld, 380 and Tech I would potentially expand my imidiate results.

Didnt mean to be a pain...

Ive just been trying to find one of these goddam things since about 11am and I cant find anything on the net about how to change one in a stupid barina...

Nemesis
22-07-2009, 06:02 PM
You'll have more luck searching for an Opel Corsa\Vauxhall Corsa forum.

You could have also just posted in the one area - it'll come up when people hit the new posts link.

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Nemesis,

If a mod wants to close down 2 of these posts that would be dandy...

Oh and that new post link is handy... How have I been so oblivious and never seen that.

gremlin
22-07-2009, 06:13 PM
isnt it's just a seatbelt pretensioner as fitted to all modern cars?..
thats a rip off

Nemesis
22-07-2009, 06:14 PM
It sure is.

Lucifer
22-07-2009, 06:21 PM
That's like the price of one KJ tail light from mitsubishi lol

Dave
22-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Surprisingly couldnt find a barina forum that appeared to be active.

http://www.opelaus.com/

[TUFFTR]
22-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd just leave it broken and leave the problem for whoever buys the car

Nemesis
22-07-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.opelaus.com/

Spotted my mate and his VX calais in the back of that pic :)

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Well after using the words Corsa and Vauxhall instead of barina and holden...

Im still not much better off :headbange

But I have found that i need to put the red plug so i detonate it...

Ahh well ill just rip the seat out and see what i can see.

thanks guys.

Nemesis
22-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Well after using the words Corsa and Vauxhall instead of barina and holden...

Im still not much better off :headbange

But I have found that i need to put the red plug so i detonate it...

Ahh well ill just rip the seat out and see what i can see.

thanks guys.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Opel+Corsa+forums&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

I spot 3 forums in the first 4 results with a google search.

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks www.opelaus.com

their search function doesnt work unless you are a member so i tried to become a member.

The following errors occurred during your registration
The answer given for the random question was incorrect.

The question was... What is a corsa know as in australia? I answered barina.

I was wrong?

Nemesis
22-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Shouldn't be wrong, maybe email a admin or something

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 06:42 PM
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...meta=&aq=f&oq=

I spot 3 forums in the first 4 results with a google search.

Yeah tried them, there navigation is woful and no search and couldnt find what i was looking for.

mmm_snitzel
22-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Meh.

Im over it...

No search on the opel forum, im not in the mood to sift through the 400+ How to's at the moment.

I hope its just because my new membership hasnt been properly set up yet, if not im gunna be pissed.

Thanks for your assistance,
Mitch.

Elwyn
22-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Well there you go, Barina's are not as good as Magna;s - and they have really sucky forums. Yay AMC!!!

Dave
22-07-2009, 07:15 PM
look mate what do you want to know??? I know pretty much all there is to know about SB and KC barinas.

Elwyn, they are not as fast as barinas :P

Meph
22-07-2009, 07:18 PM
The Magnas (well, TL and newer) have this pretentioner too, its part of the SRS system i believe.

And its not located where you clip the seatbelt in (near the hand brake) its on the other end of the belt, buried down the bottom of the B pillar. I believe if this has been activated your SRS light would stay on. So when you hit something, the airbag deploys and the seatbelt pulls you tight against the seat so you dont move around as much (old system would just stop you moving forward, not pull you back)

Unfortunately this is something that you wouldn't be able to get second hand (or you wouldn't want to use) for safety reasons. Have you tried places like Bursons?

*The above is off the top of my head, and may be incorrect

MadMax
22-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Which bit is broken? If its the stalky bit attached to the floor near the gear stick? You can remove this, open it up and try to repair whatever is wrong with it. Or get another from a wreckers. This bit is not related to the explosive pre-tensioner, which is at the end of the belt, on the floor, at the driver's right, behind plastic bits. The $600 quoted would be for the complete seatbelt and stalk assembly.

robssei
23-07-2009, 05:11 AM
if it is the explosive bit that is at fault, just get one from a wreckers, having no power to trip it, it wont go off. and simply do what you do when working around airbags, disconnect battery and depress brake to drain system of all power. leave car for 5 mins to be extra safe and away you go. its not that damn bad!! many here have changed steering wheels on cars with airbags, and they are much more dangerous.