PDA

View Full Version : Double Din DVD player reverse/handbrake wire

assailantsky
26-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I just bought a new 7" double din dvd with "the lot" unit found here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Erising-ES908D-7-2-Din-GPS-Car-DVD-Player-Autoradio_W0QQitemZ180454409000QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ AU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a03ebc328) and is in the process of installing it myself. Just wondering where should I wire the reverse-in wire and the handbrake wire to?

I have searched the forum and found a handbrake wiring point under the floor/center console (thanks to "satan", link (http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47549)), is this the right place for a TL to wire-to for the hand brake wire? I've also found various bypass methods ie ground and then use a switch etc (Life (http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74166&highlight=handbrake+bypass)), which is my fall back option as I want to learn how to do a proper install first.

Is the reverse wire a ground also? Or do I need to connect it to the rear reverse lights at the rear? Is there a good place closer to the front of the car? I haven't got a reverse camera yet but will definitely get one soon.

Any previous installers/DIYers' comments here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mr_Roberto
26-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Reverse in wire should be connected to the reverse light (thats where my deck told me to put it)
And the hand brake wire well there twos spots for it, either connect it to the hand brake wire under the center console (legal) or ground it to the chassy (illegal)

Lugo
26-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Reverse in wire should be connected to the reverse light (thats where my deck told me to put it)
And the hand brake wire well there twos spots for it, either connect it to the hand brake wire under the center console (legal) or ground it to the chassy (illegal)
Some actually require power, so in that case you'd have to run it from the handbrake warning light positive I guess. But 99% of cases it needs to earth from the handbrake lever as you said.

milo
26-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Interesting how you go with this Deck, as I was looking at that exact one to put in my wifes TL Wagon...
Let us know your thoughts!! :D

Life
26-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Let me know if you find a reverse wire under the dash, I need to do one in the KH soon and haven't studied the wiring diagram yet.

liam
26-01-2010, 08:16 PM
hi i put one of these in my tj not long ago works great ran all the wires to the connector plug that was in the mits unit
except the reverse one hand brake went to hand brake but on my unit i have it set up so the tft will go to black
while running so if i ever get pulled over there will only be showing a black screen but the unit is still running in the back ground

assailantsky
26-01-2010, 09:18 PM

Some actually require power, so in that case you'd have to run it from the handbrake warning light positive I guess. But 99% of cases it needs to earth from the handbrake lever as you said.

Thanks guys for the quick reply. I actually want to make this installation legal. I think I do have the option to disable the handbrake warning in the settings so if the installation is legal then I guess the police cant issue a defect notice? Or am I dreaming...:nuts:

Lugo: just out of curiosity, where's the handbrake warning light positive?

milo
26-01-2010, 09:30 PM
its not so much a defect, but a Fine... simular to using a Mobile phone whilst driving.... Distraction, or simular.
By Grounding the Handbrake wire, (From the new Deck), this will allow the DVD to be watched whilst the car is in Motion.
The Legal way simply connects to the handbrake switch, allowing DVDs to be watched, Only when the Handbrake is applied... I.E... Stopped..

assailantsky
26-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Interesting how you go with this Deck, as I was looking at that exact one to put in my wifes TL Wagon...
Let us know your thoughts!! :D

Great minds think alike! Will update you on the unit, I'm just need to get my act together and buy a Aerpro harness (APP0111 (http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?pcode=APP0111&cat_name=harnesses&cat_no=10&product_name=ISO+Connector+to+most+late+model+Mits ubishi&cat_sno=160)) so I could actually have the unit on for the first time. I pulled out my dash and the stock Premium h/u today as I needed to be sure which harness to get.

Let me know if you find a reverse wire under the dash, I need to do one in the KH soon and haven't studied the wiring diagram yet.

Yeah will do. Had a read of the TL workshop manual, seems like the relay for the rear lamps are in the engine bay...

Tobed0g
27-01-2010, 10:25 PM
On my JVC deck I just earthed the 'handbrake' cable as per the instructions of the Southern European fellow I bought the unit from. Worked a treat.

Life
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
So, anybody know which wire off the inhibitor is reverse? Anybody got colours/locations? Cheers.

assailantsky
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Here's just a quick review of the unit (Erising ES908D) that I bought:

Starts up: feels like 5 secs or so, basically when the antenna goes up fully its just about ready to go.

Screen: 800x480 touchscreen, fairly bright haven't seen it under direct sunlight yet but the colours were pretty vivid.

Menus/Design: Good clean looking interface with big icons and no cheesy graphics, with finger gesture (left -> Right and vice versa changes through Radio<-> Tv< -> DVD...etc), the 3D cube change animation was a bit laggy compared to an iphone but still fairly decent. Swipe up/down to change the elevation of the screen. Very smooth and lag-free when going from page to page not using gestures

Bluetooths: works and easy to pair, no echo on mic for the initial call, will talk at higher speaker volume later. Bluetooth stereo works as it should, quite clear even at high volume

Digital TV: doesnt work, cant find no signal with the included antenna. Which is pretty much what I suspected will happen.

GPS: Comes included with 2gb SD card IGo8 with Aust map. The program works but I think the igo8 program came with a skin for a 480x320 screen (a bit pixelated compared to the igo on my phone) rather than 800x480, but that should be easy to fix.

Sound Quality: So far I can say its not worse than the stock premium audio h/u, I'm not really an audiophile so I'm no expert. But not a down grade in terms of SQ.

Fit into the Front console: I haven't put everything back in yet but I think there's about a few mm of gap either side of the screen. There's a supplied black bracket but that just make sure the whole face is flush black and so cant see the grey/silve side of the h/u.

Edit: there is definitely a small gap on the passenger side and a smaller gap on the driver side. However the gaps most noticeable from driver seat, and invisible from the passenger seat due to the round molding around the console area.

Will post pictures once everything is put back in.

assailantsky
18-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Ok just finished my install today (ie put everything back), I had my reverse camera hooked up as well and everything works a treat. The ES908D required a trigger wire (+ve) to be wired from the reverse lamp which meant that I had to take my rear seats out and put some wires through the carpet, but that was ok as I need to connect the RCA cable anyways. The RCA cable was just long enough... The screen now display the rear vision when my car is in reverse no matter if the unit is on or not, so that's one less thing that I had to control when reversing. My camera was a bit disappointing as I think its only have 120 degree view and I cant see my bumper. Oh well I could always buy another camera if I want as I have the wires all set. I'll post pictures of the camera placement and the unit when I have some time later.

Quick note regarding the brake wire, my unit had a setting where I could turn the brakewire status from on to off so I just taped up the wire and let it chill. Hope this will help others in future installs.