+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maximum Wheel Width

Default Maximum Wheel Width

Hey guys,
    Very quick question. What is the maximum wheel width on a 380 VRX? I've done a search, found plenty about offset and load rating but nothing for width -.-

Cheers.
    One day I'll put something to read in my signature that is worth your time . Today is not that day.

the reason you found a lot on offset is because its going to have a large influence on the width.
    theoretically speaking at a certain offset you might be able to fit 10" wide wheels under the car (i wouldnt and its unlikely) but at another offset those same wheels may not fit at all

also the answer to this question is how much are you willing to sacrifice around your wheel arches to get the mega wide wheels on? if nothing then will be a very different answer than if you are Matt Henry MkII and are willing to take to the car with an angle grinder.

Why do you want wide wheels anyway most of us even on the big rims (19/20) havent had any problems running 8s (like my 20x8) or 8.5?
    AMC//////My-380's-Roof-is-still-the-correct-colour division

A car that I'm looking at has aftermarket wheels and before I commit I want to make sure they aren't too wide.
    If offset is standard (38 I think?) then what is the max width for wheels? Perhaps that is a better way to put it.
    One day I'll put something to read in my signature that is worth your time . Today is not that day.

well 38 is pretty close to as good an offset as you'll get for the 380. (i wouldnt look at anything outside the 35-41 range. my old 20s were 37, my new 20s are 35 both 8") if they are already on the car and its not scrubbing or scraping anywhere then in the shortterm they wont be an issue. did you take the vehicle for a test drive yet? make sure you do full lock u turns in both directions and listen and feel for any contact. also check the surfaces in the wheel arches to see if there has been any rubbing previously. do you know what the width on the rims is? id say up to 9" you should probably be ok.after that might have to ask some of the other boys for opinions. and think about the tyre size as well.
    Last edited by Stormie; 26-09-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    AMC//////My-380's-Roof-is-still-the-correct-colour division

Given that the 380 VRX came with a 7" wheel, the max you can go in Vic to get a RWC is 8"

Also Sam be careful as if it has tint, you will most likely have issues given that all RWC need to have a light test on windows, with the "max legal" tint combined with the factory tint in the glass you may be in trouble
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Quote Originally Posted by RightNow? View Post
    A car that I'm looking at has aftermarket wheels and before I commit I want to make sure they aren't too wide.
    Like Madmagna said, 8" is quite possibly as wide as you can go legally (strictly speaking).

Practically speaking though, you're unlikely to get into trouble provided the rims and tyres don't poke out of the guards. As long as the rolling diameter isn't off, the load rating is correct, and you don't have any scrubbing... I wouldn't fret.
    Current Ride: 1997 NL Pajero GLS

Former Ride: 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

Cheers everyone.

I'll check the exact width when I have a look at it. I'll also have a look at the tint - cheers.
    Depending on how the car is, expect a call from me Mal

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information