+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Maximizing Fuel Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Speaking of Melbourne-Adelaide my brother and I did it once in his 3l TH and we got 7l/100km which puts it over 1000km to the tank. Whats the KMs per dollar look like with gas?

I get about 20l/100 short runs in inner Sydney. At about 60c/litre that is $12/100 km or 8Km per $1

In country running I get 12l/100 km or about $7/100 km or 14 km per $1

System is completely seamless and can't tell any power or torque difference between petrol and LPG

LPG will always be about 20% worse than petrol figures because there is less energy per litre - varies a bit due to proportion of propane and butane in particular batch, which is not regulated

Maybe it would be fairer on we mistreated motorists to sell it by the Kg, not litre!
    Terry M
    380 GT Series III Build 25874
    LPG
    Previous Series I VRX Build 7555

Banned

I should mention that the 380 also has a tank of petrol that gives it an effective range of around 1100 to 1200 k's on a trip.

So with all this talk about fuel economy and completing my air intake modifications including replacing the lower resonator with a 65mm intake, the Galant intake and heat shield wrapping of the air box and intakes I decided to do a "Maximizing my fuel economy" run and over the past 220 klms I have been pleasantly surprised beating my previous best by 1 liter per 100
    The heat shielding has reduced my intake temp by 4 degrees holding steady at ambient temp between 60 to 120kph very happy to have broken into the 7s
    Last edited by Andrew16; 18-08-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    Anhevius, what route do you take? Try getting on to Bridge Rd as soon as possible and then onto a short section of NE Rd and Park Rd and then Hackney Rd etc. Don't bother with Main North Rd.
    I do take Bridge rd. Main North> The Grove Way> Bridge Rd/A17 all the way to Greenhill> George St> Work.

@neo: I am not going to sell the car, for a variety of reasons. First because I owe enough on it that it simply isn't happening. The biggest one is that I actually LIKE this car. I bought it knowing quite well that it wouldn't be as cheap as smaller cars. That doesn't mean I can't tweak it to suit.

As for the car being at 'best economy' from being stock. Have you EVER looked at the fuel maps on any Cyclone engine? They run rich. SOP with them in the US is to open the intake and exhaust up, piggyback a fuel computer, and lean the fuel pulse out.

As for dropping the money for an LPG conversion, that won't take me too long to get done. It's simply a matter of finding the best solution for the money. In the US, that's modifying the engine. Here, it appears to be going LPG. It's all in the numbers. If I can drop my weekly fuel expense from 60 to 40 or less, I am happy. I would rather invest the money in this car than get another and have another insurance and rego bill to take care of on top of what I am paying now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhevius View Post
    I do take Bridge rd. Main North> The Grove Way> Bridge Rd/A17 all the way to Greenhill> George St> Work.

@neo: I am not going to sell the car, for a variety of reasons. First because I owe enough on it that it simply isn't happening. The biggest one is that I actually LIKE this car. I bought it knowing quite well that it wouldn't be as cheap as smaller cars. That doesn't mean I can't tweak it to suit.

As for the car being at 'best economy' from being stock. Have you EVER looked at the fuel maps on any Cyclone engine? They run rich. SOP with them in the US is to open the intake and exhaust up, piggyback a fuel computer, and lean the fuel pulse out.

As for dropping the money for an LPG conversion, that won't take me too long to get done. It's simply a matter of finding the best solution for the money. In the US, that's modifying the engine. Here, it appears to be going LPG. It's all in the numbers. If I can drop my weekly fuel expense from 60 to 40 or less, I am happy. I would rather invest the money in this car than get another and have another insurance and rego bill to take care of on top of what I am paying now.
    The 380's run a tiny bit rich for safety reasons, as do all cars. Probably a good thing that you can't easily tune your car hey? You can't just start pulling out fuel thinking that it's a good thing..

Not sure how we jumped to cyclone engines but let's just step back to the apples that we're talking about.

If the car is smart enough it normally adds in more fuel after you've done mods yes; that's when dyno tuning comes in. But this is normally only ever done for closed loop scenario though, which is what you're are talking about I assume as there is no such thing as tuning for better economy (only ever for better efficiency, power). When driving through traffic to get to work you are most of the time in open loop where your car is constantly adjusting fuel trims to best economy anyway.

If you're driving to work in your closed loop mapping and not in open loop you're in store for some very bad fuel economy. So please don't talk to me about tuning thanks.

That being said, another reason to sell the 380 would be to remove the debt over your head. How much interest you paying?
    Oh never mind. None of my business
    Current cars: My Ralliart, XC90, & TF Wagon
    Old: My TE, TF, & TJ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information