+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flapping Sound on Start Up

Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    Gates have admitted fault (on a friend's car) to the timing belt AND tensioner combo causing slack in the timing system (replaced at 105ishK KM). Most dealers won't change the tensioner on the first 100k service to avoid the drama, even though the part is rated to 100k working life according to the people we spoke to from Mitsu, who also advised us to go against the service manual and not to change it (it was too late at this point, it was already in the old parts box, on it's side, with pin in possibly breathing air).

When the engine comes to rest at a certain point the front cam rolls back and the rear cam rolls forward (even with the new gates glass belts) causing a the slack in the middle where the tensioner sits. If the engine starts in this state it will cause a noise - or in the case of my friend's '05 VRX pulls a tooth or two and does all sorts of great things. Thank goodness there was no bent bits. The tensioner and belt were replaced and set to spec, again, and it works fine to this day - fingers crossed.

The noise can be heard on both of our '05 VRX's on start up when cold occasionally and at high revs. Both with the brand new belts and tensioners.

On a noises note; he has recently replaced his EGR valve, no more obnoxious, untimed/out of timed/speeds up and slows down, ticking. It's lovely and quiet - I'm a bit jelly, but I'm not overly happy to pay $125 for a replacement part right at the moment as I am poor haha.

Just for my two bobs worth. Hope this is of help to someone.

Now I'm worried I raised this same issue in an earlier post as to having slack in the belt I found this when I was poking around ( had the timing belt cover off just to make sure the mechanic did actually replace my belt ) the jury was out as to whether the timing belt should have slack in it when the car had stopped
    problem is mine only does in now and then and of course when the mechanic looked at it it was tight
    I might run for a few days without the front timing belt cover and get some video footage and take it back to the mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew16 View Post
    Now I'm worried I raised this same issue in an earlier post as to having slack in the belt I found this when I was poking around ( had the timing belt cover off just to make sure the mechanic did actually replace my belt ) the jury was out as to whether the timing belt should have slack in it when the car had stopped
    problem is mine only does in now and then and of course when the mechanic looked at it it was tight
    I might run for a few days without the front timing belt cover and get some video footage and take it back to the mechanic
    Mine still creates slack occasionally due to the glass "flexless" belt. Haven't had any dramas, yet, but if the flappy/crunchy/tappy noise stays, then turn the car off. Normally it will show an engine light due to the timing being out - however didn't in my mate's car didn't. But you could certainly hear it. And showed a loss of power.
    Mathematical!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information