+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glued in rocker cover gasket

Default Glued in rocker cover gasket

Found a leak happening from the front rocker cover gasket today and tried replacing it along with the seals and found out the previous owner of the car has glued the gasket inside the rocker cover...

Any ideas on how to remove it? i tried using all sorts of knives and tools but it would leave gasket residue inside the crevices of where it sits, currently used the gasket paste to seal the cut area till i have more time to have a second go at it.

When I changed mine at 100,000 kms they were very difficult to remove as they get baked on so it feels like they've been glued.
    Patience is the only way to remove them, it took me around an hour per rocker cover to remove the old ones. I used a slim wood working chisel.

Default buy another rocker cover

are the hard to find or expensive

only thinking a long soak - acrylic paint thinners - turps- kero - diesel -petrol
    Last edited by magna buff; 17-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Just be careful not to damage the cover or itll never seal properly.

Mine came out easy as - they were brittle, but didn't stick at all.

As noted above, don't damage the covers getting the seal out - this includes bending the cover by holding it tightly.

Once they are bent they will never seal properly again. This may in fact be the case if someone's glued them in to stop them leaking, the damage may already be done.

If you can't remove it without damage you might be best to obtain some replacements from Mitsfix.

Also, search the forum for how to do it. You'll need to reshape the lip inside the cover to hold the new seal in. You'll also need a torque wrench which goes down to 3-4Nm, which is a very, very light torque. Over tighten them and you'll bend the covers at best, or strip the threads and be in all sorts. Tighten them bit by bit in a sequence rather than all at once.
    Last edited by flyboy; 18-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.

As above.

I've only done this job once, the gaskets came out in bits, hard and brittle. Took a while with a wire brush to get the cover clean.
    The new gasket will sit in the groove without any glue, but you need to check carefully that a section doesn't drop out as you lower the cover back on. Seal in, hold it above your head the right way and look if any bits droop out of the groove. Those spots need a bit of closing up, gently of course.

Torque wrench at 3.5 Nm is a must, at least 3 laps around the bolts. Doing one up tends to loosen the torque on its neighbours, so keep going until none move any more at 3.5 Nm.
    Do it right, do it once.

I appreciate all the suggestions and comments, will be having a look at the wreckers for a replacement rocker cover, if that fails ill probably take my sweet ass time replacing it with a chisel as i already have the replacement gasket.

Been checking it over the past week and the leak has stopped after i applied the gasket paste.... tempted to just leave it as it is

I had my rocker cover leak for the first time after 205,000ks, the mechanic had to remove the spark plug tube seals with a dremel grinding tool as they had baked solid to the tubes and the rocker covers.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information