+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil pressure light came on and car stalled

Default Oil pressure light came on and car stalled

Hi everyone,

My car has been going strong for awhile now but today I had an issue. Basically I pulled up to a set off lights with traffic and the car just died on me and the oil pressure light and battery charging issue light came on. So I put I emergency blinkers on thinking it was dead and put it in park and turned it off and on again and it started fine and managed to drive smoothly on the 20 minutes drive home from there without either of the lights coming back on.

I read the manual and it seems to be quite a serious issue and if not looked at and issue returns the engine could seize.

I'm going to try and book the car into service asap and stop driving it. Has anyone experienced this issue before and can it be an expensive repair? car currently has 138k kms on the clock, just not sure what to expect.

Hi
    The issue you had was the car stalled. Why, who knows.

Only way you will do engine damage is if you have the engine actually running with the oil light on. When the engine is stalled it is not running thus is not pumping oil, this is indicated by the fact the battery light came on as well
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Quote Originally Posted by Madmagna View Post
    Hi
    The issue you had was the car stalled. Why, who knows.

Only way you will do engine damage is if you have the engine actually running with the oil light on. When the engine is stalled it is not running thus is not pumping oil, this is indicated by the fact the battery light came on as well
    Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure as its first time its happened . I'm guessing this would probably still be wise to take to a dealer or should just continue driving to see if the issue reoccurs?

If it keeps stalling when idling (as in waiting at a traffic stop) then that would indicate some servicing is needed.

So far though, this is a one off event.
    Based on that I suggest it doesn't warrant a trip to a dealer for "servicing the unknown/unrepeatable" - (is called wasting your money!).

Quote Originally Posted by AQUAR View Post
    If it keeps stalling when idling (as in waiting at a traffic stop) then that would indicate some servicing is needed.

So far though, this is a one off event.
    Based on that I suggest it doesn't warrant a trip to a dealer for "servicing the unknown/unrepeatable" - (is called wasting your money!).
    Thanks for the advice, I definitely don't want to be wasting my money especially when I don't have alot of it haha . I think it just caught me off guard and I kind of automatically went to the worst case scenario I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. It was serviced only a few weeks ago and not due for another for awhile. I know stuff breaks but I wonder if its been getting serviced properly aswell.

if the car has been serviced regularly and the fluid levels are fine - i would just wait and see if it keeps happening.

About 6 months ago my 380 stalled soon after a cold start. It has not happened again - so don't fret it might be just a one off thing.
    Last edited by rprodrive; 12-05-2017 at 07:30 AM.

if ya have access to a multi meter check the voltage at the battery when idling, turn on the head lights and see if its charging, supposed to be 14.2 volts, when fully charged

magnas are notorious for shitty behavior at idle if the battery/charging system is sketchy
    AMC // Wagon Owners

Thanks guys, its been running solid since and I've put on another 1000 kms since the issue and it hasn't returned yet. Unfortunately I don't have a multi meter so I can't measure those voltages at idle.

Speaking of voltages though, could it be possible I'm overloading the electrical system in the car. To give you an idea I have 2 amps in the boot 1 for the sub and the other for the speakers, and led interior foot well lighting that's on all the time just at the front, a car dvr, and a gps running also to keep track of work trips and traffic updates. This setup has been going for the last few years and only the dvr and leds have recently been added and I'm wondering if the issue could be related also. Also when it did die at the lights, the parker lights were on so its something to add.
    Last edited by jmore1231; 23-05-2017 at 03:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information