+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air Filter

Default Air Filter

Has anyone noticed any difference in performance with using a K&N air filter instead of a normal one? I've just replaced the one in the photo with the K&N one shown. Will take it for a spin tomorrow to see if any noticeable impact.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/lPmalDVBnPZ1QMbh2
    Last edited by Wardox; 22-07-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Don't you mean K & N?

There is normally very little performance difference obtained by using such air filters as opposed to using a standard factory part, or even over using a budget or "no name" type air filter.

I would be very surprised if there was a noticeable improvement obtained by using a normally significantly more expensive air filter.

Over the years, I have read a number of reasonably well documented dyno tests (magazines such as Fast Fours & Rotaries, High Performance Imports etc.)attempting to analyse the improvements, if any, by using "performance" air filters.

In fact, most of these tests concluded that, when no other changes are made i.e. stock location of intake plumbing and, as noted, no other changes made, the original factory air filter element normally outperformed other more expensive "performance" type air filters.

You would be better to spend your money elsewhere.

When seeking better performance from better air intake flow, this is how I spent my money on my TL Magna - all of about $25 from memory:

http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...=1#post1628105

Although, I believe that there is a "bolt on" air intake improvement kit available for 380's.

FYI - Cheapest way to get 90mm Galant Snorkel to Australia (~AUD$68 Shipped)
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...old+air+intake
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 22-07-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardox View Post
    Has anyone noticed any difference in performance with using a K&N air filter instead of a normal one? I've just replaced the one in the photo with the K&N one shown. Will take it for a spin tomorrow to see if any noticeable impact.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/lPmalDVBnPZ1QMbh2
    The snorkel is an improvement - panel filter not so much. With NA motors these sorts of changes are very slight anyway.

I installed the K&N and the 90mm snorkel at the same time a few months back and I did notice a difference - seems to have improved torque (stronger in the mid range and I get wheel chirp a bit easier through the mid range when giving it full bore from a stand still). I can't say how much of a difference the K&N on it's own makes if any at all. Hopefully it doesn't worsen performance as leadfoot6 is suggesting :/

Try to avoid finding an improvement as you're more likely to have a placebo. I wasn't expecting a stronger mid range so was surprised when I started feeling that.

But even if it doesn't improve anything, at least it means you won't have to spend money replacing the stock air-filter. Tho you'll have to clean it every so often.
    S3 VRX

Of course it's hard to quantify, but I'm very pleased with the new filter. Getting terrific acceleration and mid range. Car is purring like a tiger. Still have a slight idle wobble when cold that I'd love to know the cause of.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information