+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficult to diagnose Grinding in rear right wheel area - Mitsub 380

Default Difficult to diagnose Grinding in rear right wheel area - Mitsub 380

I was wondering if anyone had come across this issue. While slowly accelerating from the lights turning right, there was a bang from the rear of the car. Now there is a deep metal grinding and rattle in the left rear of the car when I turn the wheel to the left. It grinds in connection with the wheel rotation speed.

I have changed the following with no success.
    Changed Hub assembly - 2 x different hub and bearings with no change!
    Change Disc Rotor - No change
    Removed hand brake shoes and assembly - No change, still grinds
    Checked the pads for cracks, stones, wear. All good!
    Checked the suspension (without a hoist) and everything appears tight.

I'm next going to put a camera under the car and film the suspension when driving.
    This is such a difficult problem to isolate. Has anyone had this before or able to point the way?
    I'm not a mechanic, just do-it-yourself 380 kind of guy.

Are you sure you have identified exactly where the noise is coming from.
    Did you get another person to travel in the back of the car to make sure it is the lefthand side.
    It could be the exhaust moving if the bang was a bracket snapping.
    Just putting a different point of view across.

Hi Rob,

Yes, we definitely made sure that the sound was coming from the right rear of the car and shook the crap out of the exhaust with no result.
    I did sit in the back seat while a mate drove. I even opened the door and had a listen. We were both convinced that the sound was coming from the right rear.
    About half an hour ago I set up a small video camera under the 380 mounted close to the right rear. The sound was a little dull mixed with a bit of wind noise. THEN IT BLOODY DAWNED ON ME!!!! It's not a crappy camera and the audio is good. THE SOUND IS DULL BECAUSE IT IS COMING FROM THE OTHER SIDE!!!!! ARGH!!!! $@#$%@#$@# That is the weirdest thing I have ever seen/heard. It's like someone knocking at the front door when they are really at the back door. WTF???

Thanks for your time in replying Rob. I'll go away now and drown my embarrassment with a few beers!! Lesson Learned Big Time :-)
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 29-08-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Good luck with the investigation, let us know what the outcome is and enjoy the beers!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information