+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nothing to do with Mitsubishi!

Default Nothing to do with Mitsubishi!

Guys,
    I have to replace a leaking spark plug stem seal on my 84 Hiace but I can't find any information on how to do it, even in the manual. All I can find on the net refers to overseas models and the seals being in the rocker cover. With the plugs in the head I don't understand how this can be. Does anyone have any information on how to change these seals?

Tools

Got a picture of the engine showing where the spark plugs are?

If the plugs are located in the middle line of the rocker cover, simply remove the cover and you will see the spark plug tube seals.

If the plugs are on the side of the cylinder head, there won't be any tube seals.
    Last edited by MadMax; 04-03-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Max, the plugs are definitely in the side of the head. I had a quick look yesterday and removed a plug lead and it looked like the was a tube in there. They must just be pushed in from the outside and I already have the new seals so it is just a matter of the right way to replace them. It may be as simple as unscrewing the plug and being able to pull the tube out to slide a new seal on, which would be a lot simpler then anything I had read on the interweb. The seals aren't anything flash, just a rubber ring with a square profile, nothing as fancy as an oil seal. I will pull the plugs on the weekend and see how I go.

Tools

Max,
    I have added a link to a couple of photos. As you can see the one with the lead removed looks like it has a tube inserted in it. I have read on the interweb that some cars require a special tool to remove the tube. It would be handy to know if this applies to Toyota's 3Y motor which is in the Hiace, Hilux, corolla and other vehicles.

Tools
    Last edited by tools; 06-03-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tools View Post
    Max,
    I have added a link to a couple of photos. As you can see the one with the lead removed looks like it has a tube inserted in it. I have read on the interweb that some cars require a special tool to remove the tube. It would be handy to know if this applies to Toyota's 3Y motor which is in the Hiace, Hilux, corolla and other vehicles.

Tools
    Interesting setup . . . maybe head over to a Toyota forum to get some ideas?
    Try: http://www.yotatech.com/forumindex.php

I have tried a number of Toyota forums but can't find any Australian ones with any discussion on the 3y motor. I have spent a number of hours searching the web and just can't find anything. I will just have to see how it goes when I get time on the weekend.

Tools

Once you removed the plug you cant screw them out or something similar...??
    Lag Was Only Invented To Give V8s Some Hope

377kw of Turbo Charged Street Tuned Power
    Click Here To See Sexiest & Most Powerful Magna
    2011 AMC Car Of The Year
    1:17 Wakefield Park

Click Here To Visit www.4MYEGO.org

Ego, don't know. I am trying to find out so that when I get time to do it I can complete the job and not bugger it up.

Tools

All sorted. Got some time today so pulled out the plugs and as it happens the tubes are just a light gauge item held in solely by the spark plug. All I had to do was take out the plug , put my finger in the middle and pull it out.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/To...library/toyota

The seals were all hard and brittle yet only one was leaking, and they all broke in to pieces when I went to swap them. New seals are in and no oil leak any more. I was surprised it was so simple, given what I had read about other vehicles on the interweb, and even more surprised that I could not find any information anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Tools

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information