+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cleaning a Throttle Body

Yikes!

That picture tells a thousand words.
    I will think hard and long before separating those 2 parts.

Trimming the lenghts to shrink it back to size was inventive.

Might put a catch can on my V6 to keep the throttle body clean.
    Last edited by AQUAR; 10-06-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ts370000 View Post
    This is the gasket I refer to. As you can see it has expanded and will not fit back in where it should.

If, like me, you cannot find a replacement: I found that if you trim the lengths of it by cutting it with a sharp blade and seating pieces back on a thin bead of silicon and use excess silicon to seal cuts it will hold when put back together.

If anyone knows where to get a replacement (preferably of a material that doesn't expand in contact with whatever makes these expand. fumes?) please tell.
    Good work but was it worth the effort? Did it run any better after the cleanup?
    Last edited by alchemysa; 10-06-2015 at 06:26 PM.
    TIME IS RUTHLESS.
    Subaru Outback 2016 Diesel replaced the Magna TF wagon.

interesting question. It depends entirely on perspective.

For me, everything I do is worth it for the lesson it gives me. In this instance I learnt how to get by without a replacement gasket using readily available materials.

This was part of a complete dissasembly of the throttle body/plenum. I only hedged at desoldering electrical parts. I now have the confidence to rebuild again. That, to me, is 'worth it'.

As I rebuilt entirely a throttle body/plenum and replaced, adjusted, cleaned, repaired the lot, I don't know which particular part or set of parts led to the definite improvement I experienced when I bolted it back on the engine. Or rather, I got the combo from one of my wrecks, rebuilt that and then swapped that with the one on the engine. The engine was better for it. I can only say that rebulding that particular part did not make anything worse. I learnt something there, so any way I look at it, yes, it was worth it, to me.

As the whole thing only cost me part of a tube of silicon and I didn't have to buy a replacement throttle body because I couldn't fix the gasket I suppose financially it's a moot question.

Perhaps even by doing it and making people hesitate at undertaking something as a consequence unless feeling totally sure about it is a good thing so perhaps it was worth it to others also. Whether it's worth it for someone else to do, I cannot say. At least knowing what to expect can be good. I didn't. Doesn't always stop me. Good?, bad?...I don't know. Works for me though.

This appears to be a mirror of http://www.madmagna.com/tech/tbody.htm but without the pictures.

@ CCCMikey
    Are you just pointing out that pictures may be had in the mirror?

The OP of this thread and that mirror article are both by MadMagna.
    This thread provides for discussion by AMC forum participants on that procedure.
    Particularly of interest is the gasket issue that will have to be resolved in some way.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information