+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Help please! Freaking headlight change!

Slight thread mine.

Four days ago my passenger side low beam (H4) headlight conked. Philips Xtreme +80. Less than six months since I had them installed.
    Got the GF to replace it with the stock (crap) H4 globe (I'm effing hopeless at changing these H4 globes, don't have the 'feel' needed).
    Then this morning the driver's side low beam conked as well. The other Philips Xtreme +80.
    That's the third time now I have blown the driver's side H4 globe, and once for the passenger side. Never blown a high beam (H7) globe. Car is five years old and has done just under 83,000k.
    Is this normal, or do I maybe have a wiring/relay/fuse problem?
    The GF is getting a bit fed up with all the H4 globe replacements, and is threatening to dump me.
    Help!
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

Mine's about 4.5 yrs old, just hit 75K, and still running original daggy bulbs. I can see the yellow in them even without your type to draw a comparison. I'll change them one day... looks too fiddly.
    Hope you can salvage your bulbs problem AND keep the girlfriend.
    Last edited by Grubco; 01-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Retired from Mitsubishi ownership after 13 years. (At least I can now open all my windows without breaking them)

Quote Originally Posted by kj380 View Post
    Slight thread mine.

Four days ago my passenger side low beam (H4) headlight conked. Philips Xtreme +80. Less than six months since I had them installed.
    Got the GF to replace it with the stock (crap) H4 globe (I'm effing hopeless at changing these H4 globes, don't have the 'feel' needed).
    Then this morning the driver's side low beam conked as well. The other Philips Xtreme +80.
    That's the third time now I have blown the driver's side H4 globe, and once for the passenger side. Never blown a high beam (H7) globe. Car is five years old and has done just under 83,000k.
    Is this normal, or do I maybe have a wiring/relay/fuse problem?
    The GF is getting a bit fed up with all the H4 globe replacements, and is threatening to dump me.
    Help!
    It is the globe mate. Anything + doesn't last. Whether it is +50 or whatever. They have a shorter life span.

DOMO KUN!!!!!!!!!!!! Mecha-wombat's Avatar

Yep I have some IPF globes in ATM but just had to replace highs

OK, dropped into SCA Wednesday arvo and bought a pair of new Calibre high powered blue/white globes, while waiting for the Osram Nightbreakers to arrive from the UK. The Osrams will be used as spares. Only $28 the pair for the Calibres, bargain.
    Got the GF to fit them last night.
    Passenger side was relatively easy, as the clip/spring was still in place, even managed to undo it myself without stuffing it.
    Driver's side clip/spring was a complete PITA to get back in, it just kept falling out. 30 minutes later and the GF is ready to spit the dummy.
    Guessed that it might be a bit out of shape, maybe a bit too 'wide' and needed some 'closing up', had a fiddle with some pliers, hey presto it went back in & stayed back in!
    So the moral of the story is that it's relatively easy for a Klumzy Klutz like me to bend the retaining clip/spring bad enough that it no longer stays in place, and it pays to 'squeeze it up' a bit.
    I now have to shout the GF dinner for all her help.
    Last edited by TreeAdeyMan; 03-12-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

just swapped out my 4 globes.
    No issues.
    Thanks for advice.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information