+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6g74 motor into 380

Default 6g74 motor into 380

Hi guys. Ive got a bit of an unusual question. I know of a very cheap 380 for sale-$350. Apparently its got a hole in the block. Ive got a perfectly good 74 motor out of my old verada wagon sitting around doing nothing. See where im going with this? Do you see any problems doing the reverse of a 3.8 into a magna ie basically stripping it down to the basic block and refitting 3.8 sump and manifolding ect to the 3.5?

I don’t know how you’ll run it?
    A 6g75 can go into the Magna because the standard ECU can run it, and if desired, the tune can be adjusted to better suit it.

I imagine the Bosch ECU is not compatible with the 6g74 in any sense and you’d need a full aftermarket ECU to run it. Think big $$$$ and lots of mods.

It’d be cheaper to buy a 6g75 from a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    I don’t know how you’ll run it?
    A 6g75 can go into the Magna because the standard ECU can run it, and if desired, the tune can be adjusted to better suit it.

I imagine the Bosch ECU is not compatible with the 6g74 in any sense and you’d need a full aftermarket ECU to run it. Think big $$$$ and lots of mods.
    this reply is wrong in so many ways.

op only wants to swap engines,nothing to do with ecu or anything
    Last edited by maggie3.5; 06-03-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    I am sure that any state will struggle to put on an equivalent to what MMX was, it was awesome both in the aspect of events and the social aspect after cruises,
    Maggie's "BitsaMitsi" Magna Sports

Maggie's 380 GT

Well at least I was trying to be helpful.

Tell me Maggie, how will the locked down, “torque demand” 380 ECU which is built for coil on plug, piezo injectors, fly by wire and a myriad of other sensors going run a 6g74 without throwing a hissy fit?

Sorry just re-read the original post. It reads very differently to what it did when I originally replied.

Um its the same post un modified. You mean you read the post differently not the post reads differently. I think maggie 3.5 gets it. Ibviously id run the fly by wire and coil packs on the 3.5. Everything would be swapped over except the heads and block

The issue you will have is the cam shafts. The front cam has the cam angle sensor on the cam with a threaded section and a locating groove cut into the cam

The only way you would be able to do this is by using the 380 cams and then swapping EVERYTHING external including sump and oil pick up from the 3.8 over to the 3.5

Other than this I can not see any issue, the ECU will learn mixtures etc over time and to be honest I can not see the smaller capacity being much of an issue, I dont think the trims will go off scale with this.
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Thanks for the great reply mal. Thats something i wouldnt have thiught of. Much appreciated!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information