+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car Audio Advice - Short back Story - TLDR; available.

Default Car Audio Advice - Short back Story - TLDR; available.

TLDR; Down the very bottom

Hey guys, Newbie to the forums and car audio but hoping to find some help from people who know a thing or two about the mitsubishi cars ( for future questions ) and car audio ( for present questions ).

A little bit of a back story. is my girlfriend and I owned 2 holdens as our first 2 cars ( Both were complete sh*t ) after the second one died on us we were lucky enough to pick up a 2002 Mitsubishi Magna TJ Executive Limited Edition that was in IMMACULATE condition for only $5000 ( Ended up being around $8000 with the loan of 2 years ).

Everything about this car was perfect and surprisingly had ALOT of features that wowed us for such a late model car. Needless to say we were in awe at our new baby and ever since that day we have fell in love with the Mitsubishi in general, but the Magna range in particular ( Also, we are mainly fond of the late 2000-ish models for some reason ).

The car served us great, it had low k's and drove smooth, never had anything break on the car or go wrong with it for a whole 2 years ( Almost a whole 2 years ). Litterally 2-3 weeks ago from today my partner was on her way home from the beach ( 2min walk from home ) and as she was turning down the street that connects to our street, a guy hit her on the driver side rear wheel ( He was at a stop sign, not sure why he went ) Basically a T-Bone but my girlfriend was able to speed up and swerve slightly so the impact was at the back of the car rather than near the driver door/middle of the car.

The guy drove off, witness behind him sped off to get his plates and came back with them, turns out the guy lived the other street over from us so we flagged him down when he was returning home, he smelled of alcohol and we think he only came back because he lived this way ( Luck was on our side at this point ).

Anyway we had insurance and long story short after a whole back and forth thing we decided to just take the pay out from OUR Insurance rather than go through his which was going to take yonks, and we could not be without a car for too long ( Our insurance only gave us a hire car for 2 weeks ).

Now the mechanic that looked at our car was in awe at how immaculate our car was, everything about it was in almost perfect condition but sadly because there were no cars in the same model and same standard as ours being sold in VIC he had to just give us the "Best Blue Book Value" even though he thought we deserved more ( Understandable, Luck decided to leave ).

And by no means are we upset at the lack of luck on getting more for the car because we were already counting our lucky stars that my girlfriend was un-injured and we were able to flag down the idiot to get his details + the accident was so close to home. ( Still hurts as we had just put brand new tyres on, a brand new battery and got tint on the windows )

Let me remind you that we are coming up on our 2 years of the loan ( Basically 2 payments away from paying the car off, it still gets me laughing everytime i say that ). - Now it sucks that it was almost paid off and was in an accident but at the same time it was lucky that it happened at that time otherwise we would of been up sh*t creek.

We got a pay out of $4600 ( Which is still pretty good considering ) - But then you have to pay off the loan ( Lucky for us it was only a few more payments ) This brought the pay out to around 4250-ish, then we had to pay out our insurance for the rest of the year.... Guess what? Only 1 more month of that, cost us an extra $50 or something for that. ( Luck was kinda still on our side ).

Total pay out was something like $4200 or something, Now we didn't want to get another brand of car as we LOVED our magna SOOOO much, we went looking specifically for magna's, more so ones that were as close to ours as possible ( I contributed to this a little as i wanted the same exact dash boards and everything ).

Luck was on our side once again, we ended up finding a really good 2003 Magna that was almost identical to our old car ( Colour was different, gear box was bigger, window tint was better etc etc ) Basically for us it was an upgrade ( -ish? )

Anyway, we have had the car for about 2 weeks now, and it is serving us good, and we are in love with it which feels good. - That's the main gist of the story, slightly long and i apologize i tried to shorten it.

Our old magna had stock speakers that were NEVER used, and they would go HARD ( We like our music ) for stock speakers. Worst part about the new car? Back speakers blown out.. LOL no biggie, we saved some money on buying the car as it was $3700 and we pocketed like $500 so we just got some new speakers and a head unit put in.

Car Audio Part :

This is what was put in the car.

Front : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...peakers/69744/

Back : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...eakers/398155/

Head Unit : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ceiver/762706/

Originally we were suppose to have some kickers put in the front too, but the stock still wasn't in so they had to upgrade our front speakers to the alpine ( slightly more expensive ). - Side note : I think this head unit comes with a built in amp for the speakers.

Now for the questions.

Q1 : Is it going to matter that the front/back speakers and head unit are all different brands? ( I imagine it wouldn't be a massive deal, but i'm not so savvy with car audio and figured i'd ask the question )

Q2 : What type of sub and amp would you suggest to pair with this set up?

Q3 : If we should get a sub and amp, should we get an amp just for the sub, or get a 4channel for 1 set of speakers, or 4+2 channel for everything?

Q4 : Do you think the alpine speakers are better than these https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...eakers/398153/ -- The original front speakers they had no stock of.

Q5 : Would you ever pick up a sub & amp second hand ( If you were able to test them out and see it all fully working ) Just to save a bit of cash?

Q5 : Would you buy from jb hifi or suggest shopping around online for a cheaper price, finding the cheaper price online and seeing if jb or autobahn would match it?

TLDR; Had magna, Magna Totaled, Got Pay Out, Bought Magna, Put in audio, Suggest any subs & amps with current setup?

Thanks for reading ( Anyone who actually got through this wall of text ) And looking forward to seeing your replies and speaking to you guys in future with any issues i come across.

PS : Does every Mitsi have crazy turn radius? Or just the 2000-200x Models?

Edit 1 : I'm thinking of something like this https://www.autobarn.com.au/kicker-3...lifer-box-pack - if the head-unit i have is "Amplifying" enough for my speakers, i can just hook up this for the bass. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fatality; 06-12-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adjust

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay! . I don't have the biggest experience with car audio but I've installed a few systems so I've picked up some things here and there.

Q1: I'm currently running pioneers up front and kenwoods up back, and a older Sony head unit, personally I don't think it matter's that they match, I don't think I've ever had a system in a car with all matching components. I think as long as all the components are from reputable company's, your fine.

Q2: I'm running a Rockford and fosgate 500w sub with a kenwood 600w amp, this is more then enough for me, you could get a similar system for a good price. An I'm sure you'll be happy

Q3: unless your going to be entering an audio competition, I personally don't think you need a amp for all of the speakers, stock power from a good head unit is sufficient in my experience.

Q4: I don't have any experience with these particular speakers so sorry

Q5: I got my amp and sub used, amp died soon after Installation. I would recommend buying new. A little extra $$ but, your getting a new product, with warranty, worth the extra money imo.

Q6: I'm not sure about jb's and autobahns price matching situation but you could try, I doubt the savings would be substantial but you don't know until you try!.

I would recommend throwing a pm peaandhams way. Amc's car audio enthusiast, you know, the dude all the neighbors hate . He's build a killer system in his mag, hell set you up right.

Hope this helps
    Unfortunate about the accident, these Magna's are dropping like flies! But it's good to here it's sorted and your girlfriends ok .

Have a good day

Cheers for the reply, I won't be entering any audio competitions, unless someone pulls up beside me with music . Everyone keeps saying to put in Components in the front ( Which come with splitters? I think ) But i didn't really want splitters put in ( Or pay them the fee to install them anyway ) - Plus like you said it would be useless unless going into an audio comp, which i'm not. I just want loud clear bass-y music.

At the moment i can pretty much turn my back speakers into a sub ( I used to have a kicker amp/sub combo in my old holden ) And when setting the speakers to a sub, it goes as hard as the old kicker combo i had ( or just about anyway, i don't think i had as good speakers as i do now that i did in the old car ).

I've found jb having a sale for this : https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ackage/604027/ -- Which i'm probably going to end up getting installed at this point and time, that way it would be about $1000-$1100 system, and i'm happy with that and it should do the job i want it to do.. I'll have a chat with pea and see what he thinks. Cheers gert.

No worries .

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information