+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 380 key

Bit of a update on getting a new key and fob for 380 in Brisbane,old one was buggered,went to 2 Mitsubishi dealers,$420-440 for key and programming.
    Went to Amalgamated Locksmiths in Newstead,gave them old spare key,10min later out to car,programmed new key and fob,all up $220,happy camper,bugger the dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
    That is very useful info and yes I would like to see the instructions
    Cheeers
    +1 please.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
    That is very useful info and yes I would like to see the instructions
    Cheeers
    NVM. See it now.

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne all you need to do is drive to the Dandenong Market. There's a locksmith on-site (in a caravan adjacent to the fruit sales area). He has all the equipment for programming keys and his prices are very good. I bought a new spare key for our second Solara (third gen) and he charged me 80 bucks plus he came out and programmed the key for me. No...I don't own shares in his company!

As Stormie has advised, the Keyless Door Lock function (One press driver door; or One press all doors) can be programmed on vehicle's which have the Digital Multi-function Screen (where the clock is).

Press & Hold the display button for 2+ seconds to enter the Main Menu.
    Press the Down Arrow button to select "3. Next Menu".
    Press the Down Arrow button to select "2. ...Customization...".
    Press the Down Arrow button to select "Vehicle Customization".
    Press the Down Arrow button to select 'Keyless Entry System and Power Door Lock System' option.
    ..then Select your desired function.

Vehicle's without the Multi-function screen do not offer this option owner, so as Stormie suggested you would need to book into a dealership to have this function changed for you.

Just been through the key exercise with my 380.
    I lost one of the keys during a house move.
    Wanted a genuine key so bought a blank from Mitsi, took it to the local locksmith for cutting. The locky couldnt program the genuine key, but they could program their suppliers key. They tried, but their system, while it could read key codes, refused to program another suppliers key. So took the key to Mitsi, and they programmed the immobiliserer and the Remote Key Entry system. Key blank $285; cutting $25, Programming $44.
    Then, I found the lost key.
    It wouldn't start the car nor the RKE.
    Followed the instructions given here, which, is extracted from the 380 Workshop manual section 42.
    Was able to program all 3 keys with the RKE function, but the immobiliser in the lost key was not matched to the ECU. Took the keys to the locky and read the codes, but they were all different, and effectively unreadable.
    Took the keys to mitsi, and they did the immobiliser. Apparently they need to read the keys and then program the ECU. They did it gratis.
    The chip in the key is a Philips (NXP) PCF7941, and contains both the immobiliser and the RKE function, and they are separate functions. It seems that the user can program the RKE but not the immobiliser. The chip gets its power from the induction loop around the key barrel. Why any one would want to be capable of programming the RKE but not both is a mystery, but thats how it is. Sounds to me like the system is a development of the TW series where the RKE was a separate unit, but in the 380 both functions were included in the key as a result of technical developments with semiconductors. The immobiliser code in the key is encrypted, so just what is required is a mystery at this stage. As one post remarked "WTF its only a car key"
    Just for information.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information