+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MS851357 Spark Plug

Default MS851357 Spark Plug

Can someone tell me whether the MS851357 spark plug from Mitsubishi is a long life or normal plug?

Thanks

normal

Ok I see,
    And if in the maintenance record it says:
    MS851357 3 PLUG-SPARK-BK

Am I correct to assume that this is for the rear spark plugs or is it for the front?

Just get NGK plugs form your local auto store, if you don't mind changing them every 40k or so do all 6 in std carbon plugs, they work just as well if not better
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

I just ordered 6 NGK Iridiums.
    I was just wondering as these plugs were changed 45,000km ago and didn't know if they were long life or not

Let us know what plugs come out, may be worth keeping if they are not copper.

NGK copper plugs go well in the 3.5L engine, they should be changed according to the manual every 45,000 km but they will easily go longer than that without problems. Same for long life single or double platinums, they go for 100,000 km or more. Don't know about Iridiums.

NOTE: don't try to re-gap platinums or iridiums, they should be gapped correctly out of the box.
    Last edited by MadMax; 05-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Yes I bought the correctly pre gapped plugs.
    45,000km from just a standard plug, are you sure? I thought their service life was around 15-20,000km?

The iridiums are said to be 60,000km and platinums are 100,000km service life.

Quote Originally Posted by Spetz View Post
    Yes I bought the correctly pre gapped plugs.
    45,000km from just a standard plug, are you sure? I thought their service life was around 15-20,000km?

The iridiums are said to be 60,000km and platinums are 100,000km service life.

I'd quite happily run NGK copper plugs for 60,000 km on a Magna, based on some I have pulled out. Double platinums I wouldn't swap out, ever.

My car is idling somewhat rough and I am hoping plugs will cure this, at least to an extent.

A few years back, I was chasing an ignition miss, (it ultimately turned out to be the HT leads) and replaced the plugs with Iridium. I thought that the engine ran smoother and had better response at lower speeds. I didn't say anything to my wife and after she drove it, she asked me if I had done anything to the car. I asked her why and she said it was running better, but still missing at lower speeds. There was a minor improvement in fuel consumption, but the difference was very slight. I sold both my Pajero and the Magna before the Iridiums wore out, but at about 45000 km, the Pajero was showing no signs of tip erosion, so I was confident that they would last up to 100000 km.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information