+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice re: Mitsubishi Express WA Van

Default Advice re: Mitsubishi Express WA Van

Firstly, Ty to the Admin for creating this category for the "others"

I have some questions regarding recent technical problems with my Van.
    * I noticed about one month ago the Van was getting harder to start each day.
    * The van has to be started on Petrol, then switched over to LPG.
    * When the Van was running on petrol, it would run really rough in idle,
    stall when stopping at lights etc(this was just happening on Petrol, not LPG).

My mechanic suggested doing a minor service, replaced ignition leads, spark plugs -2.5hrs labour - hoping this would fix the problem.($530) This was done two weeks ago.

3 days ago the Van started to violently jerk-rough idle in LPG as well, except this time the Van is blowing white smoke and leaking raw fuel from the exhaust system.

* The van has been with the mechanic since Wednesday.(Is this too long?)

the mechanic did the following;

# Took a sample of the raw fuel dribble from exhaust.
    # used a special computer to check all the injectors were working properly and mentioned something about an "oxygen centre". He stated injector number 1 was not working sufficiently, and that the cylinder is flooding with raw fuel & "somehow" ending up in the exhaust system. He does not know why.
    # He advised he has never seen anything like this before.
    # He states the spark plug were being drowned in fuel(yeh my new spark plugs..)

I do not open my bonnet or do any mechanical work - I have no mechanical skills!

**** How long does it take to diagnose this situation?

****Should I go through NRMA OR Lube Mobile perhaps to receive a better service I deserve?

**** Does anyone have any idea whats happening to my van and the associated costs involved?

cheers
    2005 - Mitsubishi Express WA Van - AUTOMATIC - LPG & Petrol - 2.4L
    (NSW)

Quote Originally Posted by MitsiExpress View Post
    and mentioned something about an "oxygen centre".
    *Oxygen sensor

Quote Originally Posted by ammerty View Post
    *Oxygen sensor
    Thank you for the correction.
    vroom!

Seems you need a new mechanic

With duel fuel cars when there is a fuel issue and gas is ok first thing that should be checked is fuel system

Doing a tune up when gas is running ok is just idiocy at its best. If plugs or leads are playing up LPG will run worse again. Hopefully there is not now damage to the motor due to the no1 cyl being constantly washed down. Get a comp test before doing anything else
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Quote Originally Posted by Madmagna View Post
    Seems you need a new mechanic

With duel fuel cars when there is a fuel issue and gas is ok first thing that should be checked is fuel system

Doing a tune up when gas is running ok is just idiocy at its best. If plugs or leads are playing up LPG will run worse again. Hopefully there is not now damage to the motor due to the no1 cyl being constantly washed down. Get a comp test before doing anything else
    Thanks for the reply. What is a "comp test"?
    My Van has been with the mechanic since Wednesday, should I have it towed home or to a NRMA service centre
    It seems too dangerous to drive home.

I did a separate post asking if anyone recommended any mechanics in Blacktown/Penrith areas (NSW), as Im not sure if someone like Lube Mobile is good or NRMA service centres perhaps?

A comp test is a compression test on the engine. Basically to make sure none of the cylinders have lost compression. itl tell u if cylinder one has been damaged or not
    Current List To Do:
    Finish rear bumper - eh il do that later
    Build a monster engine - in progress

ENJOY FINALLY DRIVING IT!!

2013 SECOND GEN OF THE YEAR!

I will ask the mechanic to do this if he has not.
    Does the compression test cost the mechanic to perform or is it just basic mechanical euipment used everyday?
    How long should my Van be sitting with a mechanic - Im a bit unsure how to proceed, Ive had no news from the mechanic at all?
    Thank you for your advice.
    vroom!

If what you state is correct then it sounds to me like this so called mechanic is useless.

LPG cars, especially those not run on fuel very often can have issues with stale fuel or in your case being in NSW you prob use that E10 rubbish, E10 loves to take up moisture and over time can cause the bottom of the fuel tank to rust like there is no tomorrow. I have had to on a number of occasions do complete fuel system replacements due to E10 being used on Gas cars as the fuel sometimes sits in the tank for months on end.

Any mechanic worth a pinch of salt should have asked you certain questions BEFORE they started on the car, in your post you state was running poorly on fuel but ok on Gas, this in itself tells me that there is a fuel system issue. Plugs, Leads etc would not be looked at initially because of this until I was able to determine that the injectors were functioning, fuel system was clean and everything was ok in that area.

Personally I think you are better to get the car moved somewhere else more reliable. If you have raw fuel running out of the exhaust then there are big issues and is also very dangerous
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

It seems like I have wasted $530 and put my trust into the wrong mechanic.
    Last edited by MitsiExpress; 25-11-2013 at 06:37 AM.
    vroom!

thank you for all the assistance.

I did get my Mitsi Van back "completely fixed" - 6 days after dropping it off. With a total cost of $741.00.

*Basically the first injector was faulty & remained open - which was flooding the cylinder.
    *Also the petrol was apparently stale.
    *New fuel filter was needed
    *the injectors were cleaned & replaced.
    *Apparently 5hours worth of labour was involved.

This problem, has cost me over $1200 to fix, when I think possibly a good mechanic would have found the cause for a lot less.

I could have got my timing belt replaced for this excessive price.
    I guess there are no good mechanics out my way?
    cheers
    Last edited by MitsiExpress; 25-11-2013 at 06:46 AM.
    vroom!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information