+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why oil catch can is a must on a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by erad View Post
    Andrei:
    For what it is worth, my Pajero doesn't have a DPF, and as far as I know, all newer NW Pajeros don't. Certainly with the early NT models, only the autos had a DPF, not the manuals. Whatever, I am looking at doing an EGR blanking plate, but all I read conflicts with each other, I have concluded that (1) the engine will take longer to warm up; (2) the inlet manifold will stay cleaner - the main aim; and that (3) I think that it should use less fuel. I say that is should use less fuel because the engine would then get celan air all the time instead of regugitating its own exhaust gasses. EGR is put there for emission control and where I live and drive, emissions are not a problem.

Have you noticed any change in fuel consumption and performance since you blanked off the EGR?

I have a scangauge II, which is supposed to be able to clear CEL codes. Have you thought of getting one of these? Amongst other things, it allows you to monitor boost pressure, inlet air temps, cooling water, and lots of other parameters. Fortunately, I don't think that I have had any codes, so I cannot confirm this, but the book says you can.
    Oh so manual Pajeros were spared! Lucky you! To honest i didn't really notice any noticeable improvement in fuel consumption. That said when i took of the EGR pipe it already had carbon building up there, this was only after 7,000ks on the clock. Does scangauge II have a special way of clearing codes? I have been using Torque for Adroid to monitor engine aprameters and clear CEL, problem CEL comes back on after 8 hours of driving or so. Whats the max boost of you Pajero (asx runs 22psi).
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A
    14.490 @ 156kph Supercharged on LPG

Quote Originally Posted by Spetz View Post
    Andrei what exactly did the $700 carbon cleanup do, and how effective was it?
    Basically carbon build up was to a point where it severely restricted the airflow into the cylinders, car would would have no power, smoke would pour out the exhaust, horrible economy. After clean was done it was like a brand new car, i have put in catch can and blocked EGR since then.
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    I'm assuming the mess in the bucket is carbon (soot) mixed with diesel fuel.

So let me see if I'm on the ball here .
    This is what happens. In normal diesel without the DPF soot just goes out the exhaust, normally when diesel did not burn properly that's why sometime you bit of black smoke from diesel under high load. Now some genius though lets trap this soot, thast what DPF does. It obviously has to go somewhere, so the idea is when you are cruising on highway and engine is running lean, exhaust temperatures are high and soot will naturally turn into ash (passive regeneration). Unfortunately not everyone drives on the highway, so this is where active regeneration comes in, diesel is injected at the exhaust stroke, it flys out the exhaust valve at about 600c this temperature will turn soot into ash and unblock the filter. However people who do lots of short trips often turn of their engine before regen could be competed, thus filter remain blocked. and if this happens few time in a row you will get CEL about this issue and it can get to a point where DPF will have to ge taken out for a clean.

Diesel does not get into the sump via EGR, small quantities of it sips past the piston rings into the sump during DPF regeneration. The actual oil in the catch can is a result of fumes coning out the PCV valve, this appears to be not related to DPF regen issue, as my Triton has no DPF and catch can still traps lots and lots and lots of oil.

I dont think removal of DPF is illegal as not all new diesels even come with one (as i just found out for instance manual pajeros). Its a junk technology as any potential benefit on the environment you might have by not releasing soot is more than offset by the fact that you waste shit loads of fuel to burn it and instead of black smoke you have white smoke out the exhaust during the regen (so embarrassing)

I dont think this should turn you away from diesel. I never looked back, i can average just 6.0 per 100ks in the city not to mention all the torque that come with it.
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei1984 View Post
    Yep can see you did you research! What additive are you using i might give it a go to increase regen intervals.

Andrei,

From my first post in this thread: "I've been using Wynn's DPF cleaner (375 ml bottle every third or fourth tank of fuel) and just recently Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer (100ml in each tank of fuel)...". They both claim to reduce the frequency of passive regens, just in different ways.

As you guessed I have done many hours of research on DPFs, regeneration, removal, retuning etc etc, and like you have come to the conclusion that DPFs are a massive waste of time, money and resources. The 'need' for them was driven by European Greens, and they achieve nothing but extra cost and hassle for owners of modern diesel cars.
    Maybe some good news on the horizon, a possible 'hi-flo' sports DPF, see this page: http://www.carformance.com.au/blog/dpfdelete/
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeAdeyMan View Post
    Andrei,

From my first post in this thread: "I've been using Wynn's DPF cleaner (375 ml bottle every third or fourth tank of fuel) and just recently Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer (100ml in each tank of fuel)...". They both claim to reduce the frequency of passive regens, just in different ways.

As you guessed I have done many hours of research on DPFs, regeneration, removal, retuning etc etc, and like you have come to the conclusion that DPFs are a massive waste of time, money and resources. The 'need' for them was driven by European Greens, and they achieve nothing but extra cost and hassle for owners of modern diesel cars.
    Maybe some good news on the horizon, a possible 'hi-flo' sports DPF, see this page: http://www.carformance.com.au/blog/dpfdelete/
    Thanks, i will give Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer a go and will see if it increases regeneration intervals
    Last edited by Andrei1984; 16-01-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei1984 View Post
    Thanks, i will give Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer a go and will see if it increases regeneration intervals
    Mate, I didn't switch from one to the other, I'm using both at once, which seems to work.
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

Andrei:
    It is illegal to remove any anti-pollution stuff from your car. That said, how are they to know that you have blocked off the EGR pipe? I am looking to do this with my Pajero but am concerned about possible side effects. Pollution is not an issue with me because the car rarely goes near a city.

Regarding boost, I think it is about 18 psi maximum, but the actual level depends on engine revs. I get momentary boost to 22 psi, but then I think the ECu pulls it back to around 18 max. You only get that if you are towing my caravan, or going up a long steep hill. Most hills which will bringon max boost are normally too winding to allow you to use max output anyway 'cause you have to back off for corners.

It is because there is a variable vane turbo on the thing that I bought a Scangauge. I have read that it can clear codes, but as yet I haven't had the need to do so (I haven't blocked off the EGR). From what I have read on Pajeroclub.com.au, the CEL doesn't seem to come on with the later (NW) pajeros, but it certainly used to with the NS and NT models. I have emailed off to suppliers about getting a blanking plate but as yet they don't want my business....

Because you have a blanking plate fitted, it is possible that there is more blowby when the engine is on the overrun. This could cause more oil in your catch can.
    Last edited by erad; 16-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Blanking plate shouldn't affect how much blow by gases you get under load, as anything past 10 (or 15%)% of throttle and EGR valve is closed anyhow to prevent air from getting into the exhaust via the EGR valve due to boost which turbo will start to generate under load.
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A

If you have the space available, ie: 4 x 4 sized vehicle, these systems
    http://www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au...x?ID=Technical
    are claimed to increase combustion efficiency to approx 95% and reduce soot emissions which should in theory mean less work for the DPF.

Cheers
    04 TW series 2 Sedan - wrecked 2009
    03 TL AWD - donated to family member
    Current ride-2015 Grand Cherokee Laredo Wagon (VM A630 DOHC V6 3.0 diesel) - Quadralift air suspension/ ORA pack 2

Hahaha you wont believe it. I have received recall letter from Mitsubishi. Excessive blow by gasses from EGR may cause carbon deposits to form on piston rings, heat up, deform and cause engine damage. Fix is to bring the car back to the dealer to get "software upgrade" which will reduce EGR flow to safe amount.

I dont think DUH! will quite cut it.
    Last edited by Andrei1984; 16-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    16.023 @ 142kph N/A

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information