+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CJ Lancer ABS module

Default CJ Lancer ABS module

My in-laws have a 2008 VRX which has only done around 50 odd km and the ABS warning light is on (most of the time). I have checked this with the warranty clerk at my local dealer and have been told that this is a "throw away" and replace situation - with a cost for the part of around $2k (plus labour)
    Apparently this is not an uncommon failure situation. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    As the car is out of warranty, and as the folks are pensioners who are turning 79 in a few months, they have asked whether there is a less expensive way of getting around this problem...or what would happen if they choose not to do anything about it?
    Sadly they haven't had it serviced by their local Mitsubishi dealership for some time, so they are unlikely to get any consideration of "policy" from MMAL, despite the low k's travelled.

50 odd Km?

Nice story bro, but why go directly to the ABS unit as the culprit?

ABS module takes input from 4 wheel sensors, if one sensor is giving a silly signal the ABS light will go on randomly. (If the ABS unit was faulty, the light would be on all the time)

Look for cut wires, magnetic material sticking to the wheel sensors interrupting the signal, etc. Cost them nothing for you to have a look.

My TS did the random ABS light thing, turned out that there was ferrous shrapnel on a wheel sensor. When the ABS light is on, the brakes revert to normal non-ABS operation. Don't know it it also affects cruise control, traction control, etc.
    Last edited by MadMax; 08-01-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Thank you for your comprehensive response. The "bush mechanic" (f.i.l.) said that last week the light was on all the time when they drove down to Drouin, but when they came back he gave the module "a bit of a tap" and when they took the car out to the airport the following day, the light didn't come on. It has since come on again, so it's frustrating him more than ever. He's a Mitsu man from way back and has had a TN SE manual ECI wagon, TP SE auto ECI sedan, CE Lancer GLXI auto plus NC SWB Pajero then an NH manual LWB followed by an NJ auto LWB "Escape" - all of which have been immaculate as he's pretty fastidious with looking after them.
    I have passed your above info onto him and he asked me to thank you very much for your input. He said that he will check these items and will let me know how he gets on.
    The "50 odd km" = somewhere under 60,000 - which is about the same as I have on my '08 CH wagon, so both of them have pretty low k's for the age.

Charcoal,
    Wife's October 2007 CJ experienced a similar ABS "pump" failure at about 90,000 km/5.25 years - just outside warranty.
    Zupps Mitsubishi Mt Gravatt (Brisbane) advised it was a "common problem" and took it up with Mitsubishi on our behalf (because the car had been exclusively dealer-serviced) and we paid $500 (fitting?) only(?).
    Not what I expected from a late-model car but a reasonable outcome.
    As a result when we passed the car onto our son we bought a CJ GSR hatch last year, so I guess they got some of their $$$ back.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by KS95Dave View Post
    Charcoal,
    Wife's October 2007 CJ experienced a similar ABS "pump" failure at about 90,000 km/5.25 years - just outside warranty.
    Zupps Mitsubishi Mt Gravatt (Brisbane) advised it was a "common problem" and took it up with Mitsubishi on our behalf (because the car had been exclusively dealer-serviced) and we paid $500 (fitting?) only(?).
    Not what I expected from a late-model car but a reasonable outcome.
    As a result when we passed the car onto our son we bought a CJ GSR hatch last year, so I guess they got some of their $$$ back.
    Dave
    Hi Dave
    The dealer information that I received was also from the same source - and pretty much what you were told. The $500 sounds pretty good, based on what my in-laws were quoted.
    They have now "bitten the bullet" and had their VRX rectified by their local dealer - but were less than impressed to discover that the cap hadn't been placed back on the master cylinder. Unfortunately the care factor is sadly lacking by the technicians who actually perform the work. This is the second "incident" that they have experienced from this dealer, as a couple of years ago they had an unsecured bonnet fly up on my mother-in-law when she was on her way home after having her Lancer serviced. The dealer was very apologetic and she received a reduction off her next service bill as a goodwill gesture.
    I hope that you're having a better run with your 2.4 GSR - they look to be excellent value and a well equipped car for a Lancer aficionado!
    Last edited by charcoal; 16-03-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Did you think about getting a used ABS Module?

I would hardly call this a "common" item or issue
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Great looking wagon!

My f.i.l. is a bit pedantic about items which affect the safety of his wife's car, although he probably drives it as often as she does (the poor old Pajero, although much-loved, tends to spend a lot of time in the carport - which is why I bought him something out of the UK to eliminate the fuel in the tank deteriorating since the quad cam engine is pretty dependent on having the right octane)
    He didn't really consider a second hand one in case it would have suffered a similar problem. At least by having the dealer replace it with a new item, he can have some peace of mind, and if it does the same trick, it will be covered by warranty.

Thanks for your suggestion, nevertheless

Charcoal,
    There's an unfortunate coincidence....
    At the next service Zupps rang me to tell me that the cap was off the master cylinder and they found it wedged behind the engine.
    Rather pushed them to drain, refill and bleed but you are right, not much care there. (Peanuts and Monkeys?)
    Still worried about future issues with moisture in the system.
    Every CJ I've seen at the wreckers has had the ABS unit removed. Draw your own conclusion.
    Wife loves her GSR (red, of course) and the the CVT auto isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still hate the sunvisors though.
    Can't work out why she gets the new sporty when I soldier on with my KS Verada wagon.
    KSD

Hi Dave

Your story gave me a chuckle - it sounds like it doesn't matter which state we're in - the same sort of carelessness seems to pervade the dealerships. You did the right thing by insisting that they drain/refill and bleed, of course. They're all too quick to recommend this bit of "up-sell" when you take your car in for a service, but conversely reluctant when they have to do it at their expense!
    Interesting to read about the lack of the ABS modules at the wreckers, so it would appear that this could be a bit of an issue after all.
    My condolences to you for having to "soldier on" with your KS wagon - mate, you could do a lot worse... I loved my TS V6 wagon - particularly the exhaust note. It was a dream to drive and the only reason that we decided to trade it in was because my dear wife fell in love with a brand new Miami Green '97 Mirage. The petrol bills reduced substantially, so it helped me to cope with my sadness at having to part with my big friend. It had a set of Verada wheels which I fluked on from Bob Jane - apparently the dealer principal decided that he wanted some sportier looking wheels, so the OE wheels/tyres were traded in and were soon MINE!

Actually she keeps asking me when I'm going to put the 'Rada out of its misery and buy something newer. (had this one nearly 17 years)
    Doesn't realise what a "boy-thing" my regular trip to wreckers is... And I like my climate control and fake wood.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information