+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maximizing Fuel Economy

Default Maximizing Fuel Economy

So, I finally got a job! Only down side is that the I live in Davoren Park and my job is in Parkside. (It's a 45 min to 1 hour drive)

That means that until I can buy a motorcycle, I need to get my 380 as fuel efficient as possible. Right now she is bone stock mechanically. (2008 Platinum Edition)

I know my 3000GT was programmed to run extremely rich from the factory. Is the 380 the same way, and would it be worthwhile to run a piggyback fuel management system?

Also, are there any little things I can do to get my fuel consumption down as much as possible?
    Last edited by Anhevius; 10-08-2015 at 02:47 PM.

The cost of a piggyback ECU for a reduction in fuel consumption won't be worth it if you're looking at buying a motorbike in the near future. It may pay itself off in the long term (i.e. 100,000km+) but definitely not in the short term.

The 380 is a big and heavy car so while driving with a conservative right foot and freeing up the engine a bit (90mm intake and straight through muffler) might make a little difference, there's not a lot you can do but grin and bear the consumption or change to a more fuel efficient car.
    Current Ride: 1997 NL Pajero GLS

Former Ride: 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

Pick a route with the least traffic, the least grid lock, and the least traffic lights?
    . . . . and have a light right foot.

Banned

Just put it on LPG.

Impco Sequent 56 is fantastic on the 380.

It will be cheaper than a motorbike.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhevius View Post
    So, I finally got a job! Only down side is that the I live in Davoren Park and my job is in Parkside. (It's a 45 min to 1 hour drive)

That means that until I can buy a motorcycle, I need to get my 380 as fuel efficient as possible. Right now she is bone stock mechanically. (2008 Platinum Edition)

I know my 3000GT was programmed to run extremely rich from the factory. Is the 380 the same way, and would it be worthwhile to run a piggyback fuel management system?

Also, are there any little things I can do to get my fuel consumption down as much as possible?
    Looking at you're route to work looks like full on city driving if so to be blunt the 380 is going to drink it high 15s I'd recon
    Do a run for a week see how much it costs you then weigh it up against public transport maybe drive the 380 on Monday and Tuesday the rest of the week public least that way if you go out Thursday/Friday for drinks after work you're all good remember also take into account service cost when working out how much you can also get cheaper insurance if you only drive 2 or 3 days a week
    Just my take

Well, going by what I can find in various threads here, I have decided that instead of buying a bike (which will be unrideable for me in the winter because I'm sensitive to cold), I've decided to put the money into the 380. Here's what I'm planning on:

1. Galant snorkel
    2. RPW extractors
    3. Magnaflow cat
    4. Straight through muffler

Those four things should get it down pretty well (sitting at about 9.5l/100km for my drive to and from work.) After that lot, I'm going to save up for an LPG kit, or a piggyback system to lean out the injector cycles some.

Andrew16, the default route is indeed through the city, and right through that horrid double roundabout thing. The route I take bypasses that. Main North Rd> The Grove Way> Bridge Rd/A17> Greenhill. That gets me to work quite well, and seems to be a lot more reasonable as far as traffic. I would love to take the train, but by the time I get off, the last one for the night has already gone, so I have to drive.

When it comes to the mufflers, can anyone give me some suggestions? I'd like a decent 'growling' note, but not one that drones when cruising @sub-1500RPM. Ideally, I'd like one that really sounds out at 3k RPM+ with a deeper idle note (similar to my Flowmaster 40-series single in/dual out I had on my Cadillac back in the US).

Edit: Another question, what CPSI cats have people used in these cars, and to what effect? I was thinking of getting one with 100-200, though I know some V6 engines seem to respond better to a 300CPSI cat.
    Last edited by Anhevius; 12-08-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Another dumb question added

Given that fuel consumption is a motivating factor in these mods why have you ditched the idea of a tune but decided to buy extractors?
    Current Ride: 1997 NL Pajero GLS

Former Ride: 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Red Valdez View Post
    Given that fuel consumption is a motivating factor in these mods why have you ditched the idea of a tune but decided to buy extractors?
    Mainly the extractors is to get away from the triple cat setup and into a single, then after the support work I'm looking at going with a piggyback to tune the fuel maps out. Plus I want to get the 'easier' stuff knocked out before I have to commit the car to several days of work/time to get a good fuel map on it. I do know a couple of people back in the US with the Galant that have gone for a piggyback with leaned out maps, but I'd want to have someone that knows what's what test and tweak them for me so I don't go too lean.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anhevius View Post
    Well, going by what I can find in various threads here, I have decided that instead of buying a bike (which will be unrideable for me in the winter because I'm sensitive to cold), I've decided to put the money into the 380. Here's what I'm planning on:

1. Galant snorkel
    2. RPW extractors
    3. Magnaflow cat
    4. Straight through muffler

Those four things should get it down pretty well .
    None of those items will improve fuel economy, quite the opposite.

With your intention to use LPG the RPW extractors will create a disasterous ioutcome in both fuel economy and overall reliability of the car.

Check lights will become the norm as well as a big fine for emmisions if you get caught.

You will gain absolutely nothing with that extractor kit except rattles and broken welds.
    Sorry to post a dismall opinion but that's the blunt truth.

Just do the LPG and nothing else mate.

Gotta agree with zilo.
    I went down the same route as you plan - RPW extractors, 90 mm Galant snorkel, hi-flow (200 CPI) cat, straight through rear mufflers and piggy back ECU (ChipTorque Xede) tuned for 98 RON - and although I picked up quite a bit in power and performance I did not gain any fuel economy. The whole exercise cost well over $3,000, and for that sort of money you would be much better off simply fitting an LPG system.
    The differences are that mine was a manual and I never fitted LPG.
    The only mods you list that are reasonable bang for your buck and might improve fuel economy a little are the 90 mm Galant snorkel and the free flow rear muffler.
    Now Mitsu-less for the first time in 29 years!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information