+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maximizing Fuel Economy

Sorry to say, but if you really want good fuel economy, a large V6 in a heavy car is the wrong starting point.

(Compared with a modern 4 cylinder, anyway - 2L manual Lancer, did 45 Km round trip from northern suburb - near where you live - to airport, early morning light traffic, got 6.8L/100 km.)

The worst fuel consumption comes from repeated warming up, so try to combine trips as much as you can. Go lightly with the right foot, predict traffic flow, etc.
    Save up for that gas conversion if you plan to keep the car for years.
    Last edited by MadMax; 14-08-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zilo View Post
    None of those items will improve fuel economy, quite the opposite.

With your intention to use LPG the RPW extractors will create a disasterous ioutcome in both fuel economy and overall reliability of the car.

Check lights will become the norm as well as a big fine for emmisions if you get caught.

You will gain absolutely nothing with that extractor kit except rattles and broken welds.
    Sorry to post a dismall opinion but that's the blunt truth.

Just do the LPG and nothing else mate.
    You want the truth you cant handle the truth LOL Zilo but completely right
    Anhevius have some fun with the 90mm intak a muffler, lower resonator and bonnet rubber mod, definitively a physiological power gain bout 50kw I haven't done my muffler yet but so far i haven't seen any change in my economy but seriously your getting 9.5l per 100 thats really good
    Quite abit of info on RPW extractors not much positive google it
    Zilo how much (ballpark) for the LPG conversion and what results would OP see economy wise

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew16 View Post
    You want the truth you cant handle the truth LOL Zilo but completely right
    Anhevius have some fun with the 90mm intak a muffler, lower resonator and bonnet rubber mod, definitively a physiological power gain bout 50kw I haven't done my muffler yet but so far i haven't seen any change in my economy but seriously your getting 9.5l per 100 thats really good
    Quite abit of info on RPW extractors not much positive google it
    Zilo how much (ballpark) for the LPG conversion and what results would OP see economy wise
    LPG will give you about 9-12L/100klm....although mine was supercharged...LOL

Around 400-450 k's per tank.

(400 is hammering it)

BTW...On the dyno it makes more power with LPG.

I had my first one done in Adelaide by Agostino (who also sold me a TMR380) for $4050 then the rebate which was about $2500 back then.

Most recent one was a second hand box of parts, took it all to Impco direct and they fitted it all up for $1200 inc GST.

Absolutely the cheapest way to run a 380..

$35 to fill up at the moment.

I have all the software and setup dongle for the Impco tune software too.

Last edited by zilo; 14-08-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Alright, so it's a definite on going LPG instead of the other stuff. (I'll just wait for the snorkel and muffler until later on)

Now the fun part. I did look at going LPG a while back, a local shop told me that the (I think Impco) system that puts the tank where the spare tyre goes was not legal due to the distance from the rear bumper. Will going that route cause me any grief, or did he just not know what he was talking about?

Also, anyone in SA have a shop they'd recommend to take the car to?

Banned

Give Impco a call, head office in Victoria.

The tank goes behind the back seat....its all properly engineered.

Like I said Agostini Mitsubishi did mine.
    Last edited by zilo; 16-08-2015 at 09:47 PM.

This thread is stupid. The work to make it most efficient has already been done, as seen in the below quotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anhevius View Post
    Right now she is bone stock mechanically.
    Now, the op has just started a new job meaning maybe he doesn't have thousands of dollars laying around to drop on a gas system. And probably not these other performance items, which will actually increase your fuel economy because you will be driving it harder, even though you don't intend.

I would suggest keeping the car as quiet as possible and drive smarter, look ahead in to traffic, if it's stopping just stop accelerating and roll to a stop, use the tiptronic to engine brake a little bit when coming to a stop, etc.

P.S. My brother in law just spend under $400 on a TF that gets 8l/100km around town. He "upgraded" from his 2004 BA gas falcon that does 14-15l/100km. Granted gas is cheaper, but it's not the bees knees. Sometimes it might take you 4 or more years to catch up on running costs. And when you don't have the G's laying around for the initial upgrade it can push it out further if you have to do it via finance.

So what have we learned? Sell your 380, get a $500 3.0l TF, prefer manual as it's cheaper to run, then you have your petrol money covered for the next 6 years = profit.
    Current cars: My Ralliart, XC90, & TF Wagon
    Old: My TE, TF, & TJ

I've had LPG cars for few years now. And SVI is the way to go, IF
    And its a big IF...
    You are going to keep the car for a long time...
    You might be better off selling yours and looking for one with the Factory System ( these were fitted after the POS too. ) This could save you a few grand, as the Large install rebates are now gone, although the systems are probably a little cheaper now...
    If you do a lot of Highway Km's. The LPG system is quite torquey, and it feels right at home at 100-110, Though best efficient and economical use is between 80-90 kmp'h...
    Strangely, the manuals are more economical in stop start, traffic around town etc. And the Auto is much better 1-2 litres a 100 k's on the freeway...

On a side note, there is a little mess in here about efficiency and economy. Gas is less efficient, but more economical... The Sequential Vapour injection system is the efficient type of LPG delivery ( excluding Direct injection, this wasn't avail when I did my cars ) and mixer types dont meet emission standards on that car ( I was told ) so cant be fitted anyway...

In the meantime to achieve best results for Petrol.
    Lighten the car as much as practically possible, carry the bare minimum, Skinny tyres, gentle acceleration, Read traffic lights better, Lift off if you know the lights ahead will change on you, Leave earlier, saving 15 mins on your trip will make a huge difference. Plan/Combine trips as mentioned. High ( and regularly checked ) tyre pressures, (34-38). For extreme lowering of consumption, go without the comfort and Practicalties ( safety even ) use AC sparingly, there is actually an AC controller that you can tune to turn off AC at say 30% throttle, limiting the AC compressor to running at coasting/cruising and deceleration. Turn off the engine at longer than 2 min waits. If you drive with the lights on in the day for safety, this could cost the average driver 20-40 a year in fuel. Don't run Amps and Subs. But being a smoother/smarter/traffic aware driver will net you the most savings...

Wether or not like gas is a combination of few things, old school blokes and people with shite systems will tell its not worth it, AU Falcons can get atrocious economy 18L/100 around town, worse if neglected, the negatives of refuelling more often ( sometimes ), loss of space, and systems fitted poorly or that require regular servicing.

The TW that I have has SVI gas fitted at 55k when I got it, its now over 200k, servicing that system is replacing a $15.00 filter, that I've done twice. ( Admittedly I had people had it adjusted a few time to suit me, it was either no lo end power, with great top end, or vice versa, now its a nice mix between the two ) and its quite quick despite all* sound deadening and audio gear I've added ( dynamatted roof, doors, boot etc.) Its spent half its life as an auto, and the now a manual I use 1/3 tank of 98 ( on average ) every 3 months, its important to turn that fuel over, and not let it sit... Colder climates will use more, depending on how long the car takes to reach the changeover temp..

My fathers 2012 commodore needed a $120.00 service every 10k or it refused to run on LPG, he thought that system was good. ( haha Bozo )
    I think the install LPG on your own car boat has sailed, and would get a car fitted with the gear I needed, though a Fleet car with the 380 system might require a new switch, they had a feature that constantly squealed if it was driven on petrol, ensuring the drivers kept the LPG in the system, those switches were under 50 IIRC....

The other bitch about a 380, is the 380 Gas tank holds 15L less gas than the magna tank. Refuelling is more common on the 380..
    The 380 gets around 15L/per Hundred in Peak around town, and 12-14 in the magna, they both now do 10L/100 on the open road, driven not as described in the fuel saving tips above...
    The auto magna was in the 8.5/9 L/100..
    Driven Carefully, I could squeeze better than 10's in the magna on the highway, with gas at 70 cpl, so $45.00 can get me better than 650 kms.. virtually no maintenance cost, auto changing systems ( they sequentially swap fuel feeds at 22 deg water temp ) with a combined range of around 1400 kms. Its the bee knees... The 380 isn't that good, but we had 5 years and put 80k on it... We have done alright....
    Someone on here picked up a TW VR on LPG that was as mine ( service costs unknown ) that would have been the beast to get....

Put Headers on an LPG Magna, not the 380..
    It wont matter about the Galant intake if you drive softly.
    And a straight through exhaust makes a great note that will encourage you get it high revs to hear it.. Blowing out economy ...
    Last edited by SH00T; 17-08-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    If friendly Forum Advice has saved you Time or Money, Please consider a Donation to keep the Forum Running.

The Goblin and the 380

Anhevius, what route do you take? Try getting on to Bridge Rd as soon as possible and then onto a short section of NE Rd and Park Rd and then Hackney Rd etc. Don't bother with Main North Rd.

Banned

I've had 3 lease Magnas...all were dedicated LPG factory built cars....from new.

The 380 LPG system beats the Magna hands down....

The 380 can go non stop Mel-Adel the dedicated LPG Magna could not.

Quote Originally Posted by zilo View Post
    I've had 3 lease Magnas...all were dedicated LPG factory built cars....from new.

The 380 LPG system beats the Magna hands down....

The 380 can go non stop Mel-Adel the dedicated LPG Magna could not.
    Speaking of Melbourne-Adelaide my brother and I did it once in his 3l TH and we got 7l/100km which puts it over 1000km to the tank. Whats the KMs per dollar look like with gas?
    Current cars: My Ralliart, XC90, & TF Wagon
    Old: My TE, TF, & TJ

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information