+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: running with the front timing belt cover off?

Default running with the front timing belt cover off?

I want to run the car without the front timing belt cover in place for a week or so to observe the belt at stops
    Does anyone see any issues with this as a temporary situation

For 1 week I wouldn't worry about anything

Just be aware that any small objects thrown up into the engine bay will automatically home straight to your timing belt, I would only do this with caution.
    Why not just replace the hydraulic tensioner, they're cheap enough and give you peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew16 View Post
    I want to run the car without the front timing belt cover in place for a week or so to observe the belt at stops
    Does anyone see any issues with this as a temporary situation
    Can be done, but what are you expecting to discover?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob's 380 View Post
    Just be aware that any small objects thrown up into the engine bay will automatically home straight to your timing belt, I would only do this with caution.
    Why not just replace the hydraulic tensioner, they're cheap enough and give you peace of mind.
    I had i done 10k ago since then i get the odd start up noise but very very rarely
    I found the belt loose one day about 5k after the belt was replaced I was checking to see if the belt was actually replaced ( paranoid i know)
    My mechanic said bring it in straight away and of course it was tight again so all i want to do is get some photos and of it loose and get the whole lot replaced again and not at my expense
    I do, however, do about 450klms a week maybe i will just take it off each morning before work and then when i get home?????

You do realise it is ok/normal for the belt to be loose sometimes when the engine is off, don't you?

"all i want to do is get some photos and of it loose and get the whole lot replaced again and not at my expense"

That should raise a chuckle with the mechanic!
    Last edited by MadMax; 10-09-2015 at 07:36 PM.

The 380 tensioner actually 'rocks' so may feel loose sometimes, but as soon as tension is applied with the engine running it tightens up. I replaced the timing belt in my mum's 380 and was surprised as well by the slack. It is normal and due to the pivoting design of the tensioner.

As for driving without timing covers, no issues on both my magna and 300zx. Driving like that for years without issue.
    Last edited by martini_Z; 10-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martini_Z View Post
    It is normal and due to the pivoting design of the tensioner.
    Another theory says it is due to where the cams stop when you switch off the engine.

Why doesn't matter - it is normal. Unlike some tensioner setups that produce constant tension (CH Lancer, second gen V6) the third gen Magna and 380 can develop some visible slack with the engine off. It goes away as soon as you start the car up.
    Last edited by MadMax; 10-09-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Another theory says it is due to where the cams stop when you switch off the engine.

Why doesn't matter - it is normal. Unlike some tensioner setups that produce constant tension (CH Lancer, second gen V6) the third gen Magna and 380 can develop some visible slack with the engine off. It goes away as soon as you start the car up.
    +1 - it will be ok, don't stress. Also, I can show you what it looks like when something the size of a small pebble gets inside your timing cover..
    Mathematical!

Quote Originally Posted by Deisel View Post
    +1 - it will be ok, don't stress. Also, I can show you what it looks like when something the size of a small pebble gets inside your timing cover..
    A poorly set up - loose - cam belt will cause a rattle on start up. If it doesn't rattle, it is fine.

As for a pebble in the works - I've seen a picture of a cam cog with a section broken off it. Pebble in action?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information