+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New brake pads and rotors

Default New brake pads and rotors

At the last service I was told my front brakes are low and having a look around/think about it I was thinking of getting some DBA Sreet slotted rotors and TRW pads to suit.

Last time I got some RDA slotted and a QFM pad, from memory, but haven't been overly happy with them. I have had good luck with DBA's in the Falcon, though they were the Aussie made ones, and I have a memory that TRW make good aftermarket car parts.

What do you think?

I've heard TRW also make rotors but can't seem to find them. The other parts I can source from eBay.
    Daily ride: 2008 380 VRX - Mawson White - Stock
    Semi-retired: 2003 BA XR8 - Venom Red - Lots of mods

Interesting you should say that you have not been happy with the QFM product.

I had the combination of one of the last sets of Australian made DBA4000 disks paired with QFM HPX pads.

I was only able to get 34,000 km out of the DBA4000 disks when I got over 115,000 out of the original factory disks and pads and only changed the OEM ones out as they were glazed but had a small amount of life left.

I have since replaced the DBA4000s with RDA Slotted Roters paired with RDA Extreme Pads. This combination in my experience in providing performance equal to the DBA4000, producing a lot less dust and with 41,000 km on them have lots of life left unlike the expired DBA4000s.

Perhaps QFM pads or DBA disk only perform badly for ACT based 380s

The original thread from when I had the DBA4000 issue can be found at http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...729&highlight=
    Last edited by s311_bvm; 22-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    Proud owner of a Series III 380 SX, 1 of only 32044 380s made

I can't tell you which QFM pad I have now, it may be a different one.

I tried QFM's on the Falcon on my previous set of calipers, going so far as sending them some other pads to apply their compound to. This was with new discs again and I was less than impressed when I noticed the pad material on the front had a much smaller surface area than stock or any other pad really. It was undersized.

With such a big difference in the swept area it moved me to upgrade my caliper again to the largest PBR and I'm using their pad too.

I'll check out your thread in a moment.

I'm getting an error on the link.

Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    I'm getting an error on the link.
    Sorry I think I fixed the link and it can be found at http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...729&highlight=
    Proud owner of a Series III 380 SX, 1 of only 32044 380s made

Ok, so it looks like I have gotten a year out of my new pad/rotor combo. I went for DBA Slotted Street Series rotors (T2 I believe and I'm sure I remembered the box saying Made in Australia, so I was thinking they had changed production again) and I got a set of the HPX Pads.

After fitment I looked at my old receipt and realised my last brake change included HPX pads, but with RDA slotted rotors.

Things were good at the start but recently they have had a bit of shudder, which surprised me and today at the service they advised me they need changing very soon. Not sure on the km's traveled but I'm sure it's less than 30k, which is the worst performance from a pad/rotor combo I've ever had. The original brakes and the RDA/HPX combo got the car to more than 180k/7 years old.

The rears are finally needing changing too, but they are original, so no worries there.

So it's back to square one, I am thinking rotors without slots and looking into pad choices that aren't QFM.

Just get them skimmed, and use a torque wrench to do the wheel nuts up. Should avoid the warped disc shimmy problem.

This is the exact thing I have been trying to say to people of late

The HPX have turned to rubbish. Had the same issue here with many customers and my own cars so stopped using them. Hell in my wifes NM they lasted just under 15k, she came in with "a funny noise" and the pads were on the backing plates. I rarely drive the car so had no warning. Have the Protex 4x4 pads in the NM now, has done about 20k and still a good amount of pad left.

I personally see no need for slotted rotors for street use. Have never used them myself and most likely never will
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Well, I am sure ready for something new, that's for sure, this is beyond a joke.

What are the rest of the Protex range like? Are the rotors any good? There are sets on Ebay but they include the Blue pads, not the 4x4 or Ultra ones.

I've just replaced EBC Ultimax front pads after 75,000km with the same again. They seem to be a good, cheap brake pad ($20 inc post off ebay, though I think they were on clearance), but rather dusty.
    The rotors were replaced at the same time with Bosch rotors ($77 for the pair inc shipping off ebay). The old ones were RDA slotted and were second hand when I fitted them. I'm guessing they lasted about 90,000-100,000km total.

*Edit, I just noticed this was in the 380 section, my example was for a TJ Magna sorry...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information