+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 380 GT Cigarette lighter outlet not working

Default 380 GT Cigarette lighter outlet not working

Hi all,

No luck with the search in relation to this issue. My 380's cigarette lighter outlet has stopped working. Fuse is fine so I was going to take it out and see if any issues with the actual unit. Not sure how you get this out. Do you remove the entire trim piece around it or does it pop out on it own? I just hoping it is not a more difficult to fix wiring issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

It has been intermittent for a while but went after I installed a reverse camera/dash cam that was powered from it. I have now wired this to the 12v courtesy light feed instead (with a 12v to 5v converter). This is actually quite useful as the body control module turns the power off to the courtesy light wiring after a few minutes thus you get a some recording after parking. Still need the ciggy light for phone charging etc.............

Steve

Best to use an add-a-circuit fuse tap to power accessories. You may have dislodged the connector behind the lighter. As to how to get to it, l will leave it to someone else.

Not 100% sure about the 380 setup, but iwn addition to a normal fuse arrangement, most cigarette lighters also have a fusible link in the actual cigarette lighter housing.

If the fuse is fine and you are getting power to the back of the lighter assembly, then I'm afraid the internal fusible link may be gone and you will need a new assembly.

Thanks for the replies. Still haven't worked out how to get the assembly out, not that I've spent much time on it as yet. If anyone has done this I'd be very grateful for any tips.

The reversing camera was getting a lot of flicker but this was due to the courtesy light power (maybe there is pulse wide modulation here with the computer control of the dimming etc?). Will use an "add a fuse" from an accessory-driven fuse and a 12v-5v converter. At the moment I have no way to power it!

I installed a duel USB outlet (in the center console) on a 12v to 5v converter. Run off a "add a fuse" adapter in the cigarette lighter fuse.

I'll leave fixing the cigarette lighter until I have the energy to pull it all apart.

Total cost $8
    Last edited by steve_bunkle; 13-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Well I tried to work out how to get this out again with no luck but in the process was able to feel behind the panel and in the process this manipulation has made it work again. Will see how long for!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information