+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About 380s - Anything To Look For?

Default Thinking About 380s - Anything To Look For?

While I'm still considering my Verada restoration, I haven't ruled out looking for another car either. I've been a real sucker for punishment with this particular KJ, everything from leaking or warped rocker covers to a bad heater core, failed steering rack, driveshafts, oil pressure switch, busted up interior... and that's even after the major service, new brake calipers, new rocker cover gaskets, new radiator and thermostat, new tyres and a bunch of other things I can't seem to recall.

So I know from experience there are some common faults to watch for in the Magna and Verada models, but I haven't heard so much about the Mitsubishi 380.

It seems there are more 380s being listed than Veradas at the moment, and for relatively little money as well. Some have <140,000kms on them while others have 200,000-240,000. Some ex-government and ex-fleet cars in there as well. So I'm tempted to have a look at these as another option.

Of course they'll need the regular maintenance items - like timing belt, tensioners, water pump and so on - but are there any common design or maintenance issues to be aware of as well? From what I can tell they appear to have a fairly decent reliability record, or the issues they do have seem to be relatively minor in comparison to those experienced with my current car. Recall wise the issues seem to be fairly minor, with the exception of the fuel tank strap, but that should have been addressed on most of them by now and at the worst I can have the revised part fitted.

The build quality seems to be consistent across years as well, that is a 2008 380 isn't necessarily noticeably better than a 2006 380, although I'd like to know more about whether this is true or whether there's something I've missed.

I don't mind small issues, power windows, switches and what not, because these I can tackle myself. It's the big engine-out and dashboard-out type stuff I'd like to avoid.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Cruiser; 23-04-2017 at 03:23 AM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

There are a few threads on this - worth a look through the old threads.

The 380s are very reliable cars - the systemic issues are minor - typically window regulators. All the series seem to have the problem, but at least it is cheap to fix and DIY for about $100 each. Once replaced the windows are reliable.

Be warned that turning circle is a bitch, as well as fuel consumption in stop/start or short trips. The clear coat on most of them fail too.

Apart from that they are mechanically excellent and underrated. Bargain buying if you find one that has been well maintained. I planned on keeping my 380 for just a few years - but 8 years later I still have it as it is too good to sell for the prices they sell for.
    Last edited by rprodrive; 23-04-2017 at 05:57 AM.

2005 380 GT here. In 4.5 years and 103,000km of ownership one of the rear window regulators went (replaced the other as a precaution whilst it was at the dealer), the air-con resistor went, and the sway bar bushes were nearly on their way out so I had them replaced. They're really well built cars. I found my 380 has aged much more gracefully than my old TJ.

PS: buy my 380

Current Ride: 2018 Pajero Sport GLS

Former Rides: 2007 380 SX | 1997 NL Pajero GLS | 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

There's a mint TL on the for sale topic too

380 is awesome. Mechanically excellent, although use more fuel than a third gen. Not a squeak in the cabin, really tight construction.

My problems in 9 years/110,000km:
    1. Window regs (front) both replaced under warranty. Replacement part is the US one and won't break like the cheap Australian one which came from factory
    2. Sway bar bushes done around 60,000. I need to do again because it's clunking again, but I'm delaying because they're a pig to do without a hoist. Weekly sprays with silicon lube temp solution
    3. Roof clear coat has started failing. The bonnet and boot haven't, but the colour of the paint suggests they aren't far off.
    4. On its second battery. 380 likes a high power, high capacity battery. Small ones won't last 2 years.

That's it. Hasn't missed a beat otherwise.

Agree with the turning circle. It's the only car I know which turns worse than a third gen. Visibility is rubbish. Engine doesn't feel as refined/silky smooth as a late model third gen, but definitely a better engine. About 100-150kg heavier than third gen.
    Last edited by flyboy; 23-04-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Similar issues with our 2007 series 2 GT now with 103000km. All four window regulators failed as well as the fan resister and the front sway bar bushes. I fixed all of these problems myself with little effort. The regulators themselves are very easy to replace and reasonably priced. 30 minutes takes care of one after you've done a few (I've done 3 in my parents 380 as well). The indicator/headlight stalk can fail but most should have been replaced for free under a recall.

We also had a front wheel bearing that failed at 40000km which left a sour taste in our mouth as the dealer refused to fix it (they had it 6 times trying to find the noise and ended up giving up telling us it was the ABS pump). Paid for the repair at an independent but it didn't cost that much. Never went back to the dealer again. My parents' VRX had a rear bearing failure at 130000km.

All of these issues occurred before 60000km. Perfect since apart from a failed cigarette lighter outlet.
    We also have a 2002 Ralliart with much the same km and the 380 has certainly aged better. I'd say it still drives like new.

Personally if you want to keep one for the longer term I'd only buy a white one or be prepared to clean/polish it regularly and keep it out of the sun. The clear coat quality is bollocks. Its sad seeing so many drive around with failed paint.

Other comments regarding my experience with our 380 (owned 8 years)

Positives:
    -Ours still drives like new. Body still feels very solid
    -Great ride, especially at speed
    -Handling much better than contemporary large front wheel drives (especially the Aurion). These really corner better than people think.
    -Wheel alignment on ours has been outstanding. Only had three in 100000km and it tracks perfectly and the tyres wear evenly with regular rotations. The aligner said it was pretty close to spec last time it was done so I don't see the point wasting money every 10000km.
    -I've changed the front pads only because of squeal when cold.
    -Transmission is pretty good although downshifts can be a little slow at times. They don't have the same issues as Magna boxes. I believe failures are very rare
    -Good lazy low down torque which makes these relaxing to drive
    -Nice instruments
    -Basic servicing is easy although the timing belt is best left to the pros unless you are above average in mechanical ability. They can be quite cheap to keep on the road. Belts themselves are not prone to failure unless they have been badly installed (I'm thinking of you Astra).

Negatives:
    -Window regulators are rubbish but as stated cheap and easy to replace and replacements should be the modified parts and will then last
    -Paint on clearcoated models is poor
    -Turning circle is large but not much different than other large cars
    -Other minor failures like the fan speed controller but these are minor
    -Road noise suppression is not competitive with newer cars (our Santa Fe with all-terrain tyres is quieter). Not terrible though.
    -No curtain airbags or stability control but they get a 5 star USED safety rating. They are much better in a crash compared to all generation Magnas (MUCH better).
    -People pay you out for owning "crap cars". I get it all the time at work!

I recently lent ours to the in-laws when they visited from the UK and they loved it. Back home they drive a Lexus RX so that says something. The handling was a highlight for them after a soggy SUV

Would I buy another one? Yes! It would need to be white though...............I am boring I know

Thanks to everyone here for the advice. I ended up buying a clean 2005 Mitsubishi 380 Limited Edition several weeks ago and I'm loving every minute of it. Needs some cosmetic work and the paint would need some attention in the future, but mechanically it was well looked after and too good to pass up.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

Congratulations. You should be able to keep it going for years with few major problems. Have had ours 8 years now and it is still our best driving car.

Cruiser would you give some advice for me since I am in a similar situation to you?

I have a 2003 KJ2 Verada and have been considering getting a 380GT purely for a newer car with nicer interior etc.

My Verada is in really good condition inside and out. Paint is great, interior is spotless.
    I have replaced the wave spring in the auto, installed ATF cooler and a towbar on it.
    The car has never given me any issues other than the fact that the idle is not up to new car standards.

So replacing it with a 380 would be like I said just to have a newer car but then I would need to get an ATF cooler + towbar on it.
    Would you say it is worth the upgrade or since the Verada hasn't let me down at all just keep driving it?

Tough call.

I like the interior and overall feel of the Verada, some interior pieces just feel more solid and with the overhauled automatic in yours, I wouldn't be too concerned about its reliability either.

It'll come down to preference - if you take a 380 for a drive and like how it feels, then go for it. Personally I haven't done away with my KJ Verada, and hopefully soon enough I'll be able to repair that car and drive it from time to time as well. The 380 definitely handles better and has more power to run with, but the Verada to me has the nicer interior for the special occasions. Not to say the 380's interior isn't as good, it most certainly is, it just has a different feel and aesthetic that's good in its own way.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 30-05-2017 at 12:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information