+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 380 Series 1 respray

Default 380 Series 1 respray

Hi everyone,

There are posts regarding this issue floating about however they're all a little dated and not for my specific model (however I understand it's much of a muchness and doesn't matter about car model).

Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a Mitsubishi 380 GT - series 1. Storm colour.

About 18 months-2 years ago the 380 started suffering from paint degradation. It's largely limited to the roof, boot, , one side of the rear part of the left side, and side mirrors (I suspect only one side as an accident from another car resulted in a partial respray some years ago).

It's looking pretty shoddy at the moment, so I was wondering how much a respray might cost?

I know there are varying degrees of quality (depending on whether it's a 'backyard job' or a full professional respray). But does anyone have any ideas or where the best place to go to may be? I also understand the car isn't that valuable any more on paper however it's performed solidly over the year and to me it runs like new (it was originally my dads car and he's had issues parting with it, and I can see why).

I currently live in Canberra (but I'm originally from Wollongong so I'm there a lot too) if that narrows the scope.

Any help would be appreciated

Ennex

Fading paint on one side only might be the result of a previous accident/subsequent repair, but it could also just be because the car is parked exactly the same way most of the time, with only one side receiving most exposure to the sun.

My brother in law's metallic silver 2004 VY Commodore, which he purchased from me when I was working as a used car salesman at Penrith Mitsubishi in 2005 and still owns, has fading only on the upper passenger side, as the spot he always parks the car outside his house(no garage or carport) is always bathed in afternoon sunlight.

Generally, if a car is damaged to the extent that the roof/turret was accident damaged to the extent that it needed respraying, the car is damaged enough to be considered beyond economical safe/repair and would probably have been classed as a non-repairable write off and not fit for retail resale to the public(parts only).

So, if the roof has been resprayed, it would probably have been due to a cause other than the vehicle having been involved in an accident.

This does not apply if the car was uninsured and did not go through an insurance assessment procedure - unlikely for a late model car but possible.

Other causes: hail, carriage of goods on roof racks, spillage of chemicals, etc.

As for respray cost, I would be surprised if you had any quotes less than 3k, with my expectation being 4k or upwards for a reasonable quality full respray.

These sort of costs might lead to a reconsideration of the need to look any further and just live with it.

My advice, as I applied to my own car purchasing decisions is - buy a white car.

My current TL and previous R31 Skyline - both white - & consequently less paint headaches.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 23-05-2017 at 03:57 PM.

The cost of a reasonable quality full respray would likely exceed the value of the car.
    Current Ride: 1997 NL Pajero GLS

Former Ride: 2005 380 GT

The one that started it all: 2001 TJ Magna VR-X
    Voted AMC /// /// QMD Best Overall Car 2011

My tj vrx had the same paint problem for a full respray was quoted $8000 so I just found a magna with the same colour changed the parts that could be changed boot,bonnet,doors etc and got the roof done for about $300 much cheaper cost me about $800 all up

Mitsubishi's paint shop was very old hat by the time the 380 came along and Australia's sun is very harsh, so it is common.

Maybe look into painting it yourself. I learnt recently on a sable VRX I purchased and it wasn't all that difficult just awful to prep. I've done easier things and harder things. It is a lot of work but It would be heaps cheaper and its a skill you keep.
    Last edited by mcs_xi; 24-05-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Former Car KH Verada XI 3.8 5 speed Auto
    Current Ride D3 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro Sport
    Current Ride 2017 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon
    Current Work Car 97 Red TF Sports 3.0 Manual

Mike

Mine has started the clear coat cancer on the roof. Not happy!

One of the heavily advertised things about the 380 replacing Magna was the improved paint processes.

They used machines for a more consistent job, but it was significantly thinner paint. There's something like 2L less paint on a 380 compared to Magna.

Pajero are painted in Japan, and have double thickness paint compared to the 380.

Yes it's a shame so many 380s look crap now because of the poor quality paint. I'm lucky to have a white one although boring at least has no clear coat. Still looks like new.
    Last edited by steve_bunkle; 25-05-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Clear coat is failing on my roof and boot. Was thinking to get it vinyl wrapped in black (car is blue). Quoted $300 for 3m wrap fitted. Still undecided whether to do it - i suspect the bonnet failure is not far away. Its hard to know what to do...

Seems as if I'm not the only one with this problem then (which isn't surprising as I've seen a lot of older 380's with this same issue). What to do :/ if only there was extended warranty? *inner lawyer is sad*

I've been thinking of the vinyl wrap too.

Why repaint when the bonnet and boot might need it in 12 months?

So disappointed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information