+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 380 Speedo recalibration

Default 380 Speedo recalibration

Does anyone know if it is possible to recalibrate the speedo on the 380? If so, how?
    I have a 5% error that I would like to fix but prefer not to do so by getting taller tyres.

The speedo error is an ADR regulation. All cars have it. Some slightly more than others.

Vlad is on the money.

However, the ADR do not require the speedo to be in error. The regs require it be accurate or over read up to 10% + 4km/hr. Ie, it does not HAVE to overread, but can.

The speedo error is not easy to fix electronically. You can get the cluster removed and the needles reseated, but it's not cheap - and this method might make it accurate at one speed but not at another.

Easiest solution is to oversize your tyre diameter. I measured my speedo against GPS, which was overreading. I changed to 225/55/17 and this corrected the error. It was perfect with new tyres, but now after 40,000km of tyre wear, it's over reading by 1-2km again.

You'll probably find yours reads 60 when GPS shows 55 ish?
    Last edited by flyboy; 05-07-2017 at 03:45 PM.

You could fit an Apexi RSM and use that display as your speedo (it takes the ECU speed and then can correct it) - or get a GPS that allows you to show the speed full screen and use that.

There is a minimum over read of 4kph. My Pajero over reads by 4kph which means Mitsubishi opted for speedo speed = (actual speed * 0) + 4kph.

ADR 18/03 is what @flyboy says, effective Jul 2006:

5.3. The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle. At the test speeds specified in paragraph 5.2.5. above, there shall be the following relationship between the speed displayed (V1) and the true speed (V2).

0 (V1 - V2) 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h

Before that 18/0 to 18/02 said +/- 10%

Last edited by telpat16; 06-07-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: extra char from copy and paste
    Terry M
    380 GT Series III Build 25874
    LPG
    Previous Series I VRX Build 7555

BTW the current NRMA mag in NSW is advertising a GPS driven HUD (Heads up Display) from Polaris

Can be checked out at:
    mypolarais.com.au.

Cig lighter powered and 2 speed alert settings
    Terry M
    LPG

No car in Australia was ever made to comply with ADR 2006. Conversely every car in Australia only ever complied with ADR 1989?. This speedo bullshit was another attempt by governments to guarantee that if a car was clocked by a speed camera at more than the posted limit, then the speedo police could shaft you totally. Fortunately, the car makers knew that they could not/would not comply with the governments manipulating normal production statistical tolerances to enable governments to increase their income from fines. The test case has not been run yet to show the inconsistency between state law and Commonwealth law with regard to the ADR. S107/109? of the Constitiution. No state law can be in conflict with a federal law. Every car in a showroom today is made to ADR 1989. The type test for type approval requires the speed to be accurate to +/- 10% at 3 specific speeds I think. 40, 80 km/hr and 80% of top speed(Something like that.)
    My magna and 380 reads about 6 k too fast at 110. The Landcruiser is about right.
    I drive to the speed limits
    Last edited by rumpfy; 09-07-2017 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rumpfy View Post
    No car in Australia was ever made to comply with ADR 2006.

Evidence???
    Terry M
    LPG

Sorry.
    Go to any new car dealer anywhere and check the compliance plate date. New Kia, Holden, 380, they are all 1989 dated.
    I recently went to the Magistrates court to defend a speeding charge of 88 against a 80 limit, and the magistrate asked me to explain the background to the matter. This was at the first mention. I explained the illegality of the speed limits against the ADR and the Constitutional requirements and he said that he could dismiss the matter if I pleaded guilty. There was one demerit point attached to the charge. He advised he could not do anything about the demerit point. This would be my first demerit point ever, in 50 years of driving. I took the magistrates offer and pleaded guilty. The courts will do anything to avoid technical evaluation of the tolerance limits relating to speed cameras, lasers, etc. A win for a defendant will cost the state heaps. The young lady driving the Datsun 120Y at 180 km/hr in Victoria had to prove the system was wrong before the crown accepted that the camera system was in error. That FU cost Bracks 12.6 million in lost fine money.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information