+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 380 Standard Deck Audio In?

Default 380 Standard Deck Audio In?

An interesting thought I've been considering.

My Mitsubishi 380 ES (LE) has the standard silver-fascia double din unit installed with a Parrot CK3100 factory Bluetooth phone system. I was looking at options to add an audio input of some kind, and while an aftermarket unit is a potential solution, there's a lot to consider here - the Bluetooth system, steering wheel controls and dashboard illumination (dimmer and colour) all need to work.

Aftermarket units are cool and certainly the best option for features and convenience alone, but I like to retain the standard head units whenever possible. Call me a stickler for details but I like a consistent dashboard aesthetic and all the dashboard controls working. The Verada had the standard unit with a cassette interface, but this isn't possible with the 380.

I figured because mine has the Parrot CK3100 hands-free system installed, the audio from the phone system has to be fed to the speakers somewhere. Parrot systems seem to be installed one of two ways - through the head unit to the speakers, or directly to the left and right speakers with a dedicated amplifier. If the signal is fed through the unit, this is where I intend to tap the connection. (Provided it isn't mono, which it could well be.) If not, then back to the drawing board it is.

Now it's almost impossible to find a decent photo of the front of this unit, let alone the back! It's this one, albeit in somewhat better condition than the one pictured:

I've already looked over the Mitsubishi standard wiring diagram from the Install Doctor (https://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/...shi-Wiring.pdf) but figured it couldn't possibly be the complete connector. Whenever a call is received the head unit displays "PHONE", so there's some kind of signal being received from the Parrot system, which would require wiring that isn't listed on that diagram. Not to mention I'm fairly certain that diagram is rather old by now.

A thread on 380DB (http://www.380db.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1546) mentions a CD changer interface being present, but that seems to reference the integrated CD stacker unit and not the double-din ES base unit.

I don't know if anyone has taken photos of this unit before or happens to have one kicking about, but I'd be interested to have a look at it if someone does. If not, then it's back down to the wreckers I go - hopefully one of the cars down there has a matching setup I can use for testing.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 09-07-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

After some investigation, it doesn't appear to be possible on the standard 380 ES unit. At least not without extensive modification. I picked up a cheap standard unit in decent condition sans radio code, but for experimentation purposes it'll do fine. While it's out of the car, I decided to document what I could:

Manufacturer: Fujitsu Ten Ltd.
    Model: 122001-7040A101
    Assembly: Philippines

Front Panel

Model Information

Connection Interface

Mitsubishi Motors 14-pin Main Connection + 10-pin Remote Control Interface

Connection / Wiring Diagram

After comparison with the 380 workshop manual, this one appears to be accurate. Keep in mind however the Fujitsu-Ten Single CD Player unit does not have a CD changer input.

2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

A little late to weigh in on this one but just for posterity;

It is possible to run a signal from say a phone headphone jack etc. direct into the tuner through the antenna port. I.e. direct soldering a line through. However, it definitely is dubious at best. First of all you have to take some of the power out with a resistor of sorts. I'm not exactly sure what as I've never actually done it personally, but could be done. You will however likely get mono from the tuner.
    The way it works is basically a tuner, regardless of mode or band it's tuning from is just looking for anything operating at that band to amplify. A line signal from an ipod or the like will come through at a very strong signal on pretty much anything you tune to.

Anyway, just something that can be done.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information