+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 380 Major Service Conflicting Information

Default 380 Major Service Conflicting Information

After saving for a while, I've set aside enough to start freshening up the mechanical components on my 2005 Mitsubishi 380. The car has 211,000 kilometres on the clock and the last service didn't involve any of the major service items, so it's now due.

From experience having my Verada KJ serviced in the past, it's worth checking over and replacing the following components:
    • Timing Belt
    • Idler Pulleys & Tensioners
    • Camshaft Seals
    • Water Pump (While the Timing Belt is off)
    • Spark Plugs (Front + Rear Platinum)

And mine needs a transmission flush and brake service as well. I'd most likely have the Thermostat and Rocker Cover / Tube Seals checked while the other components are off.

I'm inexperienced with the Mitsubishi 380 though. While speaking to a Mitsubishi dealer recently, they were adamant that the Water Pump wouldn't need replacement at this service interval on a 380, because the pumps are extremely reliable and generally don't need replacement until later in the life of the car. They seemed unsure the tensioner would need replacing as well, but that's definitely being replaced - I don't take any chances with timing components.

I've experienced problems with cooling systems in other cars before, and it's become a major preventative maintenance area in my book. I intend to hold onto this car as long as possible so even if it costs extra, I'd still consider it worth it.

What are your thoughts on this one?
    Last edited by Cruiser; 21-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

The info maybe true about the waterpump.. but think of the logic and maths, if its never been changed, it MAY fail at 250,000.. the cost/labour just to change it could've been consolidated into the one service, the pumps are inexpensive.. you may as well do most of the cooling system bar the radiator itself (ie, top/bottom hose, cap, thermo, pump).

Check my post here:
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...=1#post1646050

Platinum Plugs x6, Oil Filter, Air Filter:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBISH...544f682&_uhb=1

Accessory Drive Belt:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Gates...item212419dd92

Thermostat:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Gates...item212440ee83
    Last edited by dsp26; 21-07-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    After saving for a while, I've set aside enough to start freshening up the mechanical components on my 2005 Mitsubishi 380. The car has 211,000 kilometres on the clock and the last service didn't involve any of the major service items, so it's now due.

From experience having my Verada KJ serviced in the past, it's worth checking over and replacing the following components:
    • Timing Belt
    • Idler Pulleys & Tensioners
    • Camshaft Seals
    • Water Pump (While the Timing Belt is off)
    • Spark Plugs (Front + Rear Platinum)

What are your thoughts on this one?
    The 3.8L is just a bigger version of the 3.5, so the process is identical.

You can get 3 kits:
    1. Cam belt only.
    2. Cam belt + the 2 idlers.
    3. Cam belt, idlers, water pump, hydraulic tensioner.

I use number 2 at 100,000 km, number 3 at 200,000 km.

DIY job number 1 = Cam belt + the other bits. I don't change the cam or crank seals unless there is signs of oil leakage.

DIY job number 2 = The spark plugs, rocker cover gaskets and plug seals can be done as a separate job.

I also check the external belts and idlers at the same time and decide how soon they will need replacing. This may become DIY job number 3.

There is no advantage as far as labour costs go (if you need to pay a mechanic) in combining all 3 jobs at the same time.
    Last edited by MadMax; 21-07-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Settled, replace the lot. I'd always preferred to replace the water pump to be safe at this interval, even if the existing pump is fine.

Spoke to another senior tech at Mitsubishi who clarified it. Some owners choose to forego the water pump replacement at this interval to keep costs down, but agreed if preventative maintenance is the aim, then we can swap it out now to be safe.

I'll require the assistance of a mechanic for this one, not enough experience with engine components and I'd rather start on something else first. I have a nearby Mitsubishi dealer that has helped me before with the KJ, for not a terrible amount considering the work involved.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 22-07-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

Nevermind, mechanic was initially unsure about whether to replace the pump, but went ahead and did it anyway to be safe.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 02-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information