+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow / Gold ATF in Transmission After Flush?

Default Yellow / Gold ATF in Transmission After Flush?

This one even has Mitsubishi stumped.

I picked up my car after its major service yesterday, and one of the services I requested was a transmission flush - the old fluid was looking dark. When I checked it after I got home, about a 6 kilometre drive (I haven't driven it since then), I checked the transmission fluid and found this:

According to the invoice, the transmission was flushed with 15L of Mitsubishi ATF SP-3. But correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't ATF SP-3 normally a bright pinkish-red in colour? The Mitsubishi dealer thought so, but couldn't explain why mine was discoloured. They were positive the flush was done, and that Mitsubishi SP-3 was used, but something doesn't add up.

Someone said it could be old fluid contamination with the new fluid, but this quick, to lose its colour, after a transmission flush? There's only one other result for yellow transmission fluid on AMC, and that was a transmission cooler leak letting coolant into the transmission.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cruiser; 09-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

But correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't ATF SP-3 normally a bright pinkish-red in colour?
    You are correct.

I'd say they used something cheaper and charged you for SP3.

Who was the dealer?

I would go back to the dealer, ask them to open a bottle of SP3 and show you the colour. If it is red then I would insist that they reflush the transmission with the correct fluid (at their expense, not yours). After a flush there should not be enough of the old fluid to make any great difference to the fluid colour. Cross your fingers and pray that the apprentice hasn't filled your transmission with engine oil.

For starters I wish I could charge like that, would retire sometime next year

I would say what has happened, and I have seen it before, they have dumped the fluid and refilled. Notice they charged you 15l of fluid, doubt they used it though. The old darker fluid mixes with the fresh red fluid and leaves it a tan colour.

The amount of times I have seen this is sad
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Took the 380 back to the dealer on Monday, and it does look like a possible drain and refill situation. They took the car back in, performed a transmission flush, and the fluid is now looking a lot more red than it did before. No charge, all covered under the service warranty.

I'll watch the transmission fluid colour over the next couple of weeks but it's been fine so far.
    Last edited by Cruiser; 17-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    2002 Mitsubishi KJ Verada EI 3.5L V6 Engine, 4 Speed Tiptronic, Mawson White, 202000KMs
    2005 Mitsubishi 380 DB Limited Edition 3.8L V6 Engine, 5 Speed Tiptronic, Platinum Silver, 211000KMs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information