+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cars not getting much use

Default Cars not getting much use

My cars are not getting much use these days. I probably do about 300 k's a month since I moved. Most of the time I use the KH for short trips to shopping centres and the AWD gets the occasional weekend drive.

Contrast that with how I used to drive: about 80 k's every day.
    So its getting very difficult to justify 2 cars, although its so handy having a spare. For instance my AWD is currently out of action waiting on a battery. And I hate taking it shopping. I was in a shopping car park the other day and saw an old woman trying to park and then saw her back into someones pride and joy.
    Actually I hate taking the KH shopping too, . The KH paint is better than the KL's, but I want to avoid my AWD going into a panel shop, if I can.

So I'm being strongly pressured to sell the KH sad but the car is perfect with the recent engine swap, new steering and suspension, its better than ever, feels like a new car. But I'm running out of good arguments for keeping the KH.

I've had this car since new, its been everywhere with me the past 17 years. Its a hard decision. Its not worth much money, not worth it to me, but I guess I'm spending a bit on service, insurance and registration. Also the AWD needs more regular use. It shouldnt be left standing for 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes, between uses. Maybe I need to take it shopping for its own health!

I dont know what to do, actually. I can see the logic but I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea of letting it go. I'll never get anything near what its actually worth. What if things change and I need a daily again? The response to that was I can always buy another car if I want, but I know I'll never get a car in as good condition as my KH is for the same money, I'd have to spend heaps more.

I'm open to reasons to keep the car, please post some good arguments I can use!
    For example, is it really bad for the AWD to go 2 or 3 weeks between drives? Is that just a myth?
    Someone give me something I can use to justify keeping the KH!

Quote Originally Posted by KWAWD View Post
    So I'm being strongly pressured to sell the KH sad but the car is perfect with the recent engine swap, new steering and suspension, its better than ever, feels like a new car. But I'm running out of good arguments for keeping the KH.

I've had this car since new, its been everywhere with me the past 17 years. Its a hard decision.
    You answered your own question, there. Not a hard decision at all, keep them both.

When you feel you 'need to make a decision' but there is no one excellent reason for making a decision, the best thing to do is not to do anything. Take the pressure off yourself.

Just do week about on each, that's what I do.

If you need to save money, go to third party insurance, and have one registered for 3 months while the other isn't, them swap over.
    Did that for a few years while I had 2 second gen Magnas.
    Last edited by MadMax; 12-08-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    You answered your own question, there. Not a hard decision at all, keep them both.

When you feel you 'need to make a decision' but there is no one excellent reason for making a decision, the best thing to do is not to do anything. Take the pressure off yourself.

Just do week about on each, that's what I do. ---
    Lol, if the "but its a nice car in really great condition" argument had worked I wouldnt be so stressed and posting here for help about it Basically I'm being challenged as to why I need 2 cars and since my answer boils down to: "so I can reduce wear and tear on my AWD" I'm getting beaten up,

The strongest argument I've put so far is that it wont fetch much if we sell it, but then the response is, "so why are you spending good money maintaining it?"

Its also suggested that not driving the AWD frequently wasnt good for it. Can anyone confirm or deny that at least? So I can at least deal with that argument with the facts? Sometimes 2 or 3 weeks passes before I take it out, although I give it a decent run. I do notice that if more than a few days pass for either car then the tappets are much noiser at cold start.

Who is challenging you? Someone telling you how and what you should spend money on? (Guessing the wife?)

My argument has always been that two cars is a minimum, as the Magnas are old and prone to breaking down. You need the second car to go buy spares to fix the other one.

If it is the wife - tell her both cars are broken down, you and her will need to take public transport and taxis for the next six months to get around.

Alternatively, offer to sell both as they are getting old, and go buy something new. Then explain the finances involved in that.

She will suddenly realise that having two older cars and spending money on keeping them running is not such a dumb idea after all.

(Sometimes Male Logic needs some explaining and convincing. Female Logic is different.)

Works for me, anyway.

And dude, weekly use of a car is essential to keep them healthy. Sunday is my swap over day.
    Last edited by MadMax; 13-08-2017 at 09:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information