+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A dead 380

Default A dead 380

Last week I went to start the 380. It cranked over willingly but will not fire.

The NRMA attended and determined that immobiliser and keys are talking fine but no pulse can be seen on the fuel injectors.

The car was then trucked to the local Mitsubishi dealership.

The dealership diagnosed the Crank Angle Sensor as being at fault and ordered a new one at $240.
    Crank angle sensor installed and car still dead several hours labour ($135 each) have now been spent on the car and the diagnosis is that the ECU is most likely dead.

The Dealership now wants to send the ECU away to be tested.

The 380 has done 236,000 and it is hard to decided what to do next with it. A new ECU will be price prohibitive. Don’t think the dealer will install a second-hand ECU for me based on quick conversation, and I am not sure how wise it is to have the current ECU sent away.

It is a sad day.

Ring Mal?

Cant help with the ECU but suggest you hit up the dealer for recovery of the labour cost, not your fault they misdiagnosed the problem. And if it isn't the ECU, what will they try next and how much will they charge you? Give MitsFix a call on 1300 300 274. They may be able to help you out with a replacement ECU and fitting advice.

duplicate
    Last edited by MadMax; 30-08-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Get the ECU tested, the fee for that is sub $100.

My only experience of a non starting situation turned out to be the cam angle sensor. Not on a 380 though, a Lancer, error codes told all. A $5 part from the wreckers fixed it.
    Did the dealer look at error codes at all?
    Last edited by MadMax; 30-08-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Hi, thanks for all the comments above.

My 380 ended up spending 8 days at the dealers. They could not fix it. They believe the engine ECU is most likely dead but cannot be 100% confident. At first there was a code for the Crank Angle Sensor. The Dealer replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and this cleared the code. The service manager claims the engine is now getting spark and fuel but it will not fire, its like the timing is badly out.

No codes are now being generated, this is part of the thinking of an ECU fault.

The service manager advised that he phoned around and that the 380 is now so old that no organisation is doing rebuilt or change over ECUs anymore. I then asked what I should do next and was told that a wrecker will charge me to take it away and if I was lucky they may take it for free. I was further advised that a new ECU could be obtained from overseas at $1200 plus 3 hours ($135 each) to fit, however a 6-week wait would be required.

I decided to have the car towed home for me to deal with in my own time.

The first tow truck company sheared the mount for his hydraulic ram off during car collection efforts. I then got a second company who delivered my car home but they drove away with the key, I needed to wait till almost 8pm to get the car key back.
    I cannot work on the car now for about 4 weeks because of other time commitments.

My plan now is to strip out the Engine ECU, Etacs ECU, key reader and key, and to have them tested as a kit. I have found a company in Melbourne that may be able to help.

Next update in about 4 weeks.
    Last edited by s311_bvm; 09-09-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added key info

Quote Originally Posted by s311_bvm View Post
    My plan now is to
    look at the error codes, surely?

NRMA says 'no injector pulse' so there will be some very informative error codes.

Ripping things out randomly to either get tested or replaced is never a good idea.
    Last edited by MadMax; 09-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Sorry MadMax, I have left out some vital info.... Yes at first there was a code for the Crank Angle Sensor. The Dealer replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and this cleared the code. The service manager claims the engine is now getting spark and fuel but it will not fire, its like the timing is badly out.

No codes are now being generated, this is part of the thinking of an ECU fault.
    Last edited by s311_bvm; 09-09-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperplace View Post
    Thanks cooperplace, yes I am aware of that……

Unfortunately, an ECU like that is of almost no use. The problem is that the 380 key must talk with the key reader and ETACS ECU to unlock the immobiliser function and then send a coded signal to the engine ECU to start the car.

The 4 components are a complete coded set and must be handled as a set or re-coded with a MUT-3 and associated cables/software.

It is possible to purchase all of the above as a complete set from Mits-Fix, however my understanding is then that the car will electrically have a different identity and log of electronic service history and the door lock will not match the ignition etc.

Based on the above my preference is to try and have the current ECUs tested and repaired if possible. If this fails I will then likely fall back to installing a matching ECU set from a wreck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information