+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A dead 380

Quote Originally Posted by s311_bvm View Post
    Thanks cooperplace, yes I am aware of that……

Unfortunately, an ECU like that is of almost no use. The problem is that the 380 key must talk with the key reader and ETACS ECU to unlock the immobiliser function and then send a coded signal to the engine ECU to start the car.

The 4 components are a complete coded set and must be handled as a set or re-coded with a MUT-3 and associated cables/software.

It is possible to purchase all of the above as a complete set from Mits-Fix, however my understanding is then that the car will electrically have a different identity and log of electronic service history and the door lock will not match the ignition etc.

Based on the above my preference is to try and have the current ECUs tested and repaired if possible. If this fails I will then likely fall back to installing a matching ECU set from a wreck.
    Given the car's worth, why do you give a shit if it is different?

Honestly, my advice would be to simply aquire a written off 380 from pickles or some such for a couple of hundred AT MOST simply swap over any and all parts required. Then fire it up. If the timing is out, you then also have a spare engine.

Why go to the expense of testing and such for such an old car when you can get out of it by thinking outside the box.

Current Work Car KH Verada XI 3.8 5 speed Auto
    Current Ride D3 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro Sport
    Current Ride 2017 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon
    Fixup - Sable TJ VRX LE with red leather.

Mike

Not completely correct

The ECU ID can be updated with a MUTTIII to match your VIN

There is no electronic service history stored in the ECU in a 380

We should have packs here with the door lock as well OR you can use the immob / remote insert out of the key you are supplied with in your existing key to save changing key barrel and locks. All you will need to do then is recode the remote itself for the door unlock function which is quite easy to do
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Yes is totally different

Is the 380 that different to the 3rd gen? When I swapped over the ECU in my KL all I needed was some software, cable and a laptop to reprogram the ID in the new ECU to match the old one so that it was able to play nice with the BEM.

It did take a few days of research to figure out how to do it.

From memory, Bosch did the ECU for the 380 and had it locked down very tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad View Post
    From memory, Bosch did the ECU for the 380 and had it locked down very tightly.
    Correct. Any attempt to reflash will lock the ECU. Not sure if anyone has cracked it without actually changing the eprom etc in it as yet as the guy in Russia has however as they can do EvoX there may be a possibility someone will do this at some stage

Finally got back form 4 week overseas. I decided to remove the ECUs(Engine and ETACS) and get them tested as I was not overly confident in the works of the dealership.

Sent the ECUs to be tested interstate. The ECUs were successfully bench tested for 45 minutes with no issues found. They even heated the engine ECU to engine bay temperatures to try and make it fail but again it could not be faulted.

I received the ECUs back on Monday and reinstalled them. The 380 started first turn of the key.

So now I donít know what to think:
    - Perhaps dropping power to the ECUs for a number of days cleared a bug,
    - Perhaps re-seating the loom plugs improved connectivity / reduced resistance,

I guess it could all fail again tomorrow.
    Proud owner of a Series III 380 SX, 1 of only 32044 380s made

Hi s311

There is a lot of stuff in this thread about competence, reliability, ease of diagnosis, need for complex computer based equipment and operator knowledge, secrecy of design, inbuilt obsolescence, the list goes on.
    Hope you will keep us informed of any developments.
    Australia is a very big country and most of the rest of the world just doesnt understand how big it is and how difficult it can be to service modern equipment. Just throw it away, right?.
    rumpfy.

what he said ^^^ please keep us updated YER!
    AMC // Wagon Owners

Unplugging it and then plugging it back in has always been one of my standard fixes for electrical problems. It's amazing how many times it works. Never be afraid to try it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information