+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shell Helix Ultra - disappointment

Default Shell Helix Ultra - disappointment

I just switched to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 full synthetic.
    I was curious to see what improvement there would be over my usual Penrite.
    I am very unimpressed so far. First off, the way I judge an engine oil is pretty subjective, basically I listen to the engine and the n&v. I also watch fuel economy. Over time I watch colour and smell.
    Typically after a fresh oil change theres an immediate improvement in all those things.

Well I took the KL out for a few hundred k's over the weekend after changing the oil Thursday and noticed economy seemed pretty average. Also seemed to me that the engine was a little noisier than it had been under load.

Not very scientific, I know, but I'm umimpresssed so far.

I would have to strongly disagree with you.
    I have used Penrite HPR10 as well as Castrol Edge 5w40 in my 6G74 and the Shell Helix Ultra was quieter, smoother and more eager to rev.
    It just seems the more kms I put with SHU the better it gets.

I've been using SHU for the past 40-50,000km and will definitely keep using it.

As you mentioned though these tests are not scientific and in all honesty I think most high grade engine oils are quite good these days.

Judging oil by its colour and assuming that a dark colour = bad is a horrendously poor way to evaluate it
    One of the major purposes of oil is to clean. You can have all the lubricity in the world but if your bearings all clogged up with carbon it's not great....
    Your engine WILL continuously contaminate the oil with little particles of carbon, rubber, metal etc and where do you think those go? They get suspended in the oil. If you washed a load of filthy dishes in the sink and the water remained crystal clear then that means it did a rubbish job of cleaning and a lot of grease and dirt is still on the dishes
    You can spin dirty oil in a centrifuge and have it become perfectly clear again. The colour is not important whatsoever unless you know with 100% certainty that no foreign material is whats causing the colour change and it is infact degradation of the oil

I agree with Millenium.
    Also SHU is about the highest detergent and best cleaning oil there is

Get a professional oil analysis.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Nearly all reputable oils are so similar, even the additive packages are almost identical.

I'm moving away from HPR10, as recommended by many on this forum. It's just too thick.

Guys, I dk what to tell you. The N&V seemed up and the economy worse. That never happened with the Penrite full synthetic 5W-50. I know that Shell Helix Ultra is a premium oil. I actually thought it was higher quality than the Penrite, or certainly as least as good.
    I dont understand this result. I feel like draining it out and refilling with Penrite just to prove the point.

Could it be a reverse placebo type effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Spetz View Post
    Could it be a reverse placebo type effect?
    Lol, are we even here Spetz, or is it all just the Matrix... I'll take the car out again on Saturday and report back what I think.

Hmm, the only thing i found was that the oil was "over-filled" (above the max mark at cold), about 600ml.
    I cant see any reason for my result.

The other thing that was done was that the TC and rear axle oils were replaced, but i cant see how that would make a difference to my N&V or economy.

Hmm, the battery was replaced a week earlier and the car was only driven once after that before the service. I wonder if the computer was still doing its thing re shift points. I'll have to do a few more trips to let it settle.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information