+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TCM/ECU OBD2 Error Codes + Aircon Errors + Severe battery Drain

Default TCM/ECU OBD2 Error Codes + Aircon Errors + Severe battery Drain

Hi All,

Was wanting to get some thoughts on possibilities for my issues whilst I figure out how to charge the battery as I am unable to get the exact codes nor am I able to do a current draw test against each fuse. From Memory on my google search history:
    P0700 - TCM Malfunction
    P1901 - Powertrain A/T Fail (Engine Timeout)
    P2421 - evap solenoid. i don't know why this dies yearly and have to replace.
    P1769 - TCM Solenoid failure
    U1101
    U1110
    U3FFF
    U1100
    U1120
    U1121

Unsure if unrelated, but my aircon stopped working while all these codes were on. I shut the car off for an hour and cleared the codes.. had an intermittent whining sound on rear right (abs or tcl sensor??) and the codes keep re-appearing. Now my battery darins to absolute flat overnight.

RACQ jumped it last night and said the current charge was good so battery is good.

I've also read THIS thread where MM referenced aftermarket decks with steering wheel controls hooked up. I have this setup and works all ok, what is the inference to the cause from this setup? All linked to ecu and dodgy chinese stuff could short something out?

Thanks in advance.
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

Is this a case of a dead TCM that is easily replaced (possibly caused by dodgy Chinese deck hooked up to steering wheel controls) or do i actually have dodgy sensors/solenoids in transmission?
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

OK so updating obd2 error definitions based on THIS thread:

P0700 - TCM Malfunction
    P1901 - A/T fail(Engine timeout)
    P2421 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Stuck Open
    P1769 - Stop lamp switch
    U1101 - T/M CAN timeout/Not equipped
    U1110 - A/C CAN timeout/Not equipped
    U3FFF - *no reference. other threads indicate CAN communication error
    U1100 - Engine CAN timeout
    U1120 - Engine(CAN message)
    U1121 - T/M(CAN message)

So i'm guessing my ecu is maybe dead? possibly also explains louder/deeper exhaust note when it was jump started?
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

Before we start, I know you’re going to say “but the RACV said it tested fine”.

Regardless of that... how old is the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    Before we start, I know you’re going to say “but the RACV said it tested fine”.

Regardless of that... how old is the battery?
    On face value, its got a whute texta mark 16/01/2016.

Got it charged again by racq and after the drive indicator not green.

I had also disconnected ECU & TCM for an hour ehile waiting for racq, olugged back in.. jumoed.. drove around.

Left with 3x codes, P1768, U1100, U1120.

Checked obd scanner and adjusted viloktage whrn on is 12.3 to 12.8v... at the terminals on idle 13.7v
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

Wow.. quick typed on mobile.. didnt realise i put on weight at my thumbs with all those typos haha
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

I’d probably throw a new battery at it.

Many users have reported a marginal battery has thrown engine lights in the 380.

The standing voltage is not a reliable indicator of the battery’s ability to perform. Under load (such as during cranking), the voltage may be sagging way too low to run the ECU, throwing the codes.

I provide no guarantees that this will fix it, but do some searching on this website with regard to battery issues and engine/TCL errors being caused.

If you decide to replace it, don’t buy a small, cheap battery. Buy something >600CCA, a 75D23R fits the 389 nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    I’d probably throw a new battery at it.

Many users have reported a marginal battery has thrown engine lights in the 380.

The standing voltage is not a reliable indicator of the battery’s ability to perform. Under load (such as during cranking), the voltage may be sagging way too low to run the ECU, throwing the codes.

I provide no guarantees that this will fix it, but do some searching on this website with regard to battery issues and engine/TCL errors being caused.

If you decide to replace it, don’t buy a small, cheap battery. Buy something >600CCA, a 75D23R fits the 389 nicely.
    Noted, thanks for the tip.. i think now is a good reason to change... am just disconnecting the battery between drives so it doesnt drain out. advice makes sense though since the indicator is still black despite being "charged".
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

It’s a good sign that most of the codes have cleared.

The three you now have may not clear with a battery disconnect, apparently some need a MUT-3 to clear them.

Once you have a brand new battery in there, take it for a long drive. If any codes remain (and the battery was the problem) you might need to take it somewhere to get the remaining ones cleared.

Others will have more knowledge on this.

Wow... Took a long time to diagnose this. So the problem with ALL thise codes was in fact a dead battery as flyboy had suggested.

The reason for the drain... Turns out boot light was staying an as a result of the lock mechanism on chassis coming loose. When closing the bootlid, it wouldn't latch on.

Killed another battery in the process but at least it was second hand.

Thanks @flyboy for the suggestion
    2005 Mitsubishi 380GT
    2003 Nissan X-Trail ST-R

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information