+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your year, badge, and mileage? What problems have you had to fix

Default What's your year, badge, and mileage? What problems have you had to fix

I've got the original 2005 base model db, 167, 000ks on impco gas.

- I've had to replace an ecu, (due to a misdiagnosis of a gas computer earth problem)
    -Just fixed a sagging headliner
    - replaced timing belt only (tensioner is rattling on Cold mornings)
    - did the spark plugs ,
    - replaced the carbon canister recirculation valve

And just general maintenance of oil changes etc.

Still runs great but now is developing a slight gearbox whine. Gear changes are fine though.

I want to drive this till it dies, and I've seen high ks 380s around still going. How long can I expect this car to last?

I actually maintain it quite religiously as it's been good to me.. and reliable. Hasn't cost me much as i do all my own servicing. Gas is cheap at 20 dollars a week.(around 170ks a week)

It's a great car.. kind of dorky but at this point it's a cheap run around.

Only thing I don't like is the 800 a year registration cost.

What's everyone else's experience? Wondering whether I should take this beast to 300 thousand ks

2005 GT with 106000kms - and replaced LHS driveshaft, spark plug seals, 3*window regulators - apart from that regular servicing

oh and clear coat failure

2007 Sports, Manual, 87,000km

1. Window regulators x4
    2. Indicator stalk recall
    3. Some rubber under the bonnet nibbled by rats, cosmetic only (common with Japanese rubber apparently)
    4. Timing belt done at 10 years/87,000km - tensioner and water pump were okay
    5. Sway bar bushes replaced once, but creak continually when moving forward - dealer “lubricates” them and it goes quiet for less than a week
    6. Original Dunlop tires scalloped badly and were uber noisy from 20,000km onwards - Bridgestones have been silent for 50,000km
    7. Rear vision mirror vibrates badly with loud music
    8. Sunglasses holder vibrates
    9. Clear coat on roof stuffed - not happy
    10. Factory battery did 5 years but I replaced it preventatively

Been a pretty good car overall.

2005 Model

Radiator had a split, Aircon Compressor needed replacement, Ignition lock needed replacement. A few other things. Rocker cover oil leak, I forgot that

And quite a lot of collisions. It is a sturdy car, luckily.

Engine and transmission are like new, as far as I can tell. The plastic trim has come off the sides of the front seats

Will the car make it to 300k? It doesn't seem likely. It is at 410k now. That is 890k short. :/

2006 sx done 310000 klms now purchased it with 150000klms.. owned it for 8 years only problems ever had was a thermostat and clear that faded / peeled off ...other than that regular services keeps it happy and its been one of the best cars ive ever owned

Had a 2007 Platinum manual for 5 years, in that time it had the usual services plus the timing belt, water pump, pulleys and tensioner. New thermostat, new battery, new front disc brakes and pads. Spark plugs and cam cover seals. New top hose, new oxygen sensor and gearbox oil change.
    Still the nicest car to drive that I've owned. Good on fuel, enough power, good handling and the special bit that makes you smile when you drive it. If they made new ones today I would have one in a heartbeat.

2005 VRX with 178,000kms that I've owned for just over a year now. Bought it ar 165,000kms.
    Been awesome so far (touch wood), the timing belt was done just before i bought it, Mal at Mitsfix did the belt tensioner.
    I've put a set of Iridium plugs in it. Also replaced the rocker cover gaskets, what a turd of a job geting the old gaskets off, think they were made from gorilla snot.
    Put a leather GT interior into it and a new learher steering wheel, plus a double-DIN touch screen stereo with reverse camera, also reverse sensors too.
    Replaced front and rear stabiliser bar D-mounts and serviced it, trans/power steering/coolant flushed.
    It's developed a 'jiggle' through the suspension that can be felt by the occupants, but I pulled all four struts out to check the shock absorbers and they don't SEEM to be crook. I'll organise to drop it back into Mitsfix for them to see what they reckon might be causing the problem. Apart from that, it's been awesome.
    Drove to Sydney from Melbourne for Christmas and it was flawless. GREAT aircon.
    I love it and don't plan on upgrading for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kosta View Post
    I've got the original 2005 base model db, 167, 000ks on impco gas.

- I've had to replace an ecu, (due to a misdiagnosis of a gas computer earth problem)
    -Just fixed a sagging headliner
    - replaced timing belt only (tensioner is rattling on Cold mornings)
    - did the spark plugs ,
    - replaced the carbon canister recirculation valve

And just general maintenance of oil changes etc.

Still runs great but now is developing a slight gearbox whine. Gear changes are fine though.

I want to drive this till it dies, and I've seen high ks 380s around still going. How long can I expect this car to last?

I actually maintain it quite religiously as it's been good to me.. and reliable. Hasn't cost me much as i do all my own servicing. Gas is cheap at 20 dollars a week.(around 170ks a week)

It's a great car.. kind of dorky but at this point it's a cheap run around.

Only thing I don't like is the 800 a year registration cost.

What's everyone else's experience? Wondering whether I should take this beast to 300 thousand ks

Late 2005 VRX Auto, 129,000kms.

I have replaced the driver's rear window regulator, spark plugs, timing belt, brake fluid box, auto trans oil replaced and the oil plug bolt under the sump (stripped by the mechanic by accident)

Bought the car 3 years old from the auctions with just 54,000kms and have to say that considering the years I've had it, the repairs I've done have been very minimal.

My mechanic says to not change the car as there's nothing wrong with it, drives like new.

I enjoy the power and the great gear changes, the auto feels close to a manual.
    I've run a VW R36 wagon and to 80Km/kour, we were equal, not too shabby considering they have just over 200kw.

The car has a little lifter (tappet) noise when frozen cold but disappears in a few minutes.

My insurance though with AAMI is excellent, all I pay for comprehensive cover is $610 and the current market value they have on my beast is $8400, more than it's actually worth. I do however have the leather seats, makes the car feel a lot more upper quality. (only paid $14,600 for the car anyway back in Oct. 2008)

Overall, a great car and I think it will be hard to replace, especially the great sounding exhaust, now that's it's getting older, it soulds even better.

2008 S3 VRX - still going strong at over 250k, bought in 2009 with 30k. Been a very reliable family car but is about to be replaced with a Triton, so will mainly see weekend duty now.

We've had to replace some part that stopped the heater from being warm, and only one door regulator 18 months or so ago. Struggling to think of anything else that failed.

Other than, good servicing of the car, including transmission oil every two years and this thing won't die and is too good to get rid of still.

Done all the usual things like timing belts when required and new plugs etc.
    Daily Ride - 2018 Triton Exceed - White - Stock
    Weekend Warrior: 2008 380 VRX - Mawson White - Stock
    Retired: 2003 BA XR8 - Venom Red - Lots of mods

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information