+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter for the 6G75?

Default Oil Filter for the 6G75?

Whats the recommended brand for the engine oil filter?
    Is there a good one I should stick to, or are they all the same?
    Also, where to get the correct drain plug gasket?
    TIA

I have used the Ryco filter for the magna on my '75 (Z456) and it has been fine.

Sump plug and gasket I just went to my local Auto One store and gave them the vin. The magna sump plug works just fine, the genuine 380 sump plug has a deeper head and from memory uses a 14mm socket instead of the magna one which uses an imperial one iirc 9/16s I think.

thanks timtam3. If any 380 owners have a different view about brand of the filter please let me know!

I used the same Z456 on my 380, never had any issues.

Either Genuine or we use Sakura and have done so for many years. Sakura is used by MANY OE manufacturers. Ryco are also fine.
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Thanks guys.

I notice the oil can look fairly clean on tne dipstick but after draining its really black.
    I understand that the cleaning agents in the oil are extracting the carbon but I'm fairly amazed it gets so dark.
    My fuel economy seems excellent so I assume this carbon is "by design" and is not a problem with the piston rings.
    I understand that unburnt gases are re-routed back into engine as an emission control, so I expect a lot of it comes from that.

I've had a look at what is involved in doing my own oil changes. Seems I need a floor jack, couple of jack stands, possibly ramps, couple of wheel chocks, oil pan, gloves, filter removal tool, rags, sockets and possibly a breaker bar on hand.
    I'm in an apartment these days and not much space for these things, either for storage of tools or working space around the car. Would probably take a year or two to recover the costs too. I dont think its worth it for me to tell the truth.

My current regime is to fully change the oil and filter every 6 months with a second oil change every 3.
    I'm not doing enough driving to base it on k's. For example, I would never get near say 3000 k's by 3 months.
    My mechanic does the drain, flush and filter at the 6 month mark while I simply siphon out the oil at the 3 month mark and refill it.
    The siphon, while slow, is great! It pulls nearly 5 liters out which must be near full capacity. I assume the filter has a bit left in it with this method, but I'm also using full synthetic long lasting oil.

I considered skipping the 3 month siphon since I'm using brand synthetic, but its so easy and the oil does get pretty dark by that point, so why not? If it looks after the engine better then its a small cost in time and money.

To be quite frank. doing an oil change at 3 months is pretty much pointless. Even every 6 months unless the car is only used for short trips is also pointless.

Modern oils and modern engines do not have the same issues as older motors (and I am talking for an example of an old Holden 202). The crank case recalculation on new motors is much better with much less blow by etc

The only engines that need more attention are Diesels. Oil going off colour is certainly not meaning you have to change the oil as it is designed with all its additives to last the 15k or 12 months, I personally recommend 12 months OR 10k which ever comes first for petrol engines not used under extreme conditions such as short trips or heavy load.
    Mits-fix E-Bay Store here

Mits-Fix on Facebook here

Completely agree with Mal.

Over servicing with synthetics is a complete waste of time, and is bad for the environment.

Check your oil level regularly (as synthetic level tends to go down a bit) and follow MMAL intervals unless the vehicle is subject to extreme conditions.

They wouldn’t warrant the drivetrain for 10 years with 12 monthly/15k oil changes if they didn’t think it would happily go for twenty years.

And if you’re still concerned, get an oil analysis. That’s the best way to see if you need to move your intervals around, rather than just throwing oil down the toilet.

I also think use of overly thick oils is common place, the misconception appears to be a thicker oil will provide better protection. It absolutely won’t, unless there’s other issues. All you’ll do is piss more fuel away, and provide less lubrication at startup.

Default Oil Filters

I'm new to owning a Bitsofmishi ... but have been playing with cars my whole life. Recently bought a TJII AWD as a play thing ... the reviews I read from 2003 Motoring Journalists suggested it was the closest thing you can get to an Audi A4 Quattro ... without the price tag & horrendous servicing costs ?

For servicing of my own vehicles I have used Penrite 'Everyday' Full Synthetic oil ... 5W/30 for my Ford Exploder 4.6L ... & now 10W/40 for the 3.5L AWD Magna. This oil I have found has gotten rid of the left over sludge & build up internally from the previous owners lack of oil (Mineral) changes on both vehicles. I have been going 10,000km between oil changes (Exploder) and am amazed at just how clean all the valve train is when I removed the rocker covers to change the gaskets.

I have long been a fan of Motorcraft filters being that I have owned the odd Ford product over the years and seeing one cut open & compared to other brands is quite an eye opener. I downloaded this a while back for reference: https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...Comparison.pdf

I lived overseas for a few years & whilst there I discovered 'JS Asakashi' filters ... and after opening one up & seeing the quality they are ... I have converted to them for all my vehicles. Stamped on every oil filter is 'Manufactured by Asaka-shi Research Lab Inc, Japan. Whether they ARE actually manufactured in Japan, I don't know but the quality compared to the internals of other name brand filters leads me to believe I have discovered a genuine value for money, QUALITY filter range.

Have been buying these JS Asakashi filters from Brett's Truck Parts ... a C805J is their equivalent to Ryco Z456 (suits 6G74 & 6G75) & costs $7.55 EACH ... A Ryco Z456 at Supercheap Autos is $18.75 EACH ! To me THAT is amazing value for such a quality filter.

Servicing with quality oils doesn't have to be expensive if you buy at the right time ie sales etc ... Supercheap Autos recently had 6L Penrite 5W/30 on special for $37.69 ... a saving of $20.30 EACH ... so I bought 2x ... plus 2x 10W/40 for the Magna ... included FREE delivery to my door !

It has taken me a lifetime to come to the realisation that there IS no 'right or wrong' ... there is just what 'works for you' ... and for some people changing their oil every 5000Km with Royal Purple full Synthetic oil Racing oil, 'works for them' ! So I'm not here to judge what others do ... just share some of my experiences and hopefully it may help others form their own opinion as to what 'works for them' !

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    Over servicing ... is bad for the environment—-.
    Well of all the points made, this one really affected me the most. I’ll think that over, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information