+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dipstick showing high oil level?

Default Dipstick showing high oil level?

Hi Guys,

I serviced my car around 1 month ago, I just checked my oil level and for the first time the oil level is around half an inch higher than the top mark on the dipstick, I checked at intervals 15 mins after driving and about 30 minutes with little deviation, any idea what might cause that?? - It's on level ground.

I'm 90% it's not overfilling but I did have it serviced at a mechanic.

Edit: This is also strange because if anything my motor has been using a bit of oil and going down on the dipstick between oil changes.

A lot of mechanics overfill, based on a not unrealistic expectation the car will burn it up.

A quiet word may be in order before the next service.
    Lamenting the loss of Australian manufacturing.

1998 - 2005 Mirage bought new, sold privately
    2005 - present TL Awd Magna bought new, still paying for the maintenance

Pre `98 - non Mitsis including two Fords, a Toyota and a Daihatsu

Agreed. The mechanic probably overfilled allowing some for the filter to fill and went a bit over. 12mm over wouldn't do any harm.
    ..."WOW...]ook. at that SVU"...said no-one EVER!!!

Unlike older cars with mechanical, cam-driven fuel pumps that could dump fuel into the sump when the pump diaphragm ruptured, I don't think there's any possibility of something similar in 3rd Gens. Yours was most likely over-filled but if you are concerned, drain some out and re-fill to the correct level and monitor for a while.

Until you find a mechanic you can trust it's worth checking a few things, like fluid levels, after a service (another example is wheel nut torque after having tyres fitted... often way too high resulting in warped discs). Not sure where you are in Vic but highly recommend Mits-Fix in Bayswater (https://www.mitsfix.com/)
    TN Wagon - Died of old age
    TP Wagon - Died before its time (murdered by the ex wife)
    TJII Wagon - Hail damaged and finally traded away after 150,000 relatively trouble-free kilometres
    Skoda Scout - Has a lot to live up to...

Worst case scenario: You may have a blown head gasket and coolant is leaking into the sump. Check coolant levels (when the engine is cold) - check the coolant level in the overflow bottle AND also remove the radiator cap. If one or both are low, this may be the cause. If so, keep checking coolant levels

Thanks for the info all - 245000kms she shouldn't be perfect and it's certainly mostly running better than ever, but just never seen it that high - interesting to hear newer cars 'don't suffer' as much from a little overflowing - if that is the case

I'm pretty sure the rear rocker seals are worn so maybe something there too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information