+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 exact 6G74 rod failures on cylinder #2.......coincidence?

Default 2 exact 6G74 rod failures on cylinder #2.......coincidence?

A family members TJ wagon threw cylinder #2 rod out the upper pan a while back,it had around 250k on the clock.Standard car,but had a terminal oil leak.
    The TJ VRX I bought last year had almost exactly the same damage,ie, same cylinder,same failed rod,same upper pan damage.Not the original motor so km's unknown.
    The VRX has ported heads,aftermarket cams and headers so I would have said it probably died from having its ring revved out.
    I can't help wonder if number 2 big end suffers from a lack of oil if the level gets low or under high RPM......or is it just coincidence.
    And please,lets not turn this post into a pedantic " use the correct terminology " sh#t fight like my previous post.

Did either do much towing? Might there be a lack of engine oil cooling to certain spots under load?
    Lamenting the loss of Australian manufacturing.

1998 - 2005 Mirage - still missed
    2005 - TL AWD Magna still paying for upkeep

Pre `98 - non Mitsis including two Fords, a Toyota and a Daihatsu

I think Observer is correct, there may be that one area that has less oil under load. It would be good to know if others have had the same issue.
    Been into cars for too long

'72 LC Torana, '76 TD Cortina, '85 XE Falcon, '84 E15 ET Turbo Pulsar, '96 CC Lancer, '99 TH Magna (Current), 2011 SZ Ford Territory (Current)
    '01 TJ Magna (for my son)

The history of both engines is unknown.My "post mortem" of both engines showed overheating and breakdown of the journal/bearing and "bluing" of the bearings caused by insufficient oiling and subsequent rod failure.

What size cams are you using and how hard did it get revved? thanks

The VRX was bought with a thrown rod,history unknown.Cam grind not known but it has a much "lumpier" idle than the Ralliart.
    I have only assumed the failure was from over revving. If you know engines you will appreciate that bearing failure can be started by a number of factors and cause a subsequent failure down the track when it's not expected.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information