+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which AT Fluid for the TP?

Thank you.
    I'm in a bind here. I paid $330 to have the trans. serviced and have discovered there is no fluid in the sump. I've also just realized that the vehicle wasn't put up on the hoist to have the filters etc done. I feel sick in the stomach!

Thank you.
    I'm in a bind here. I paid $330 to have the trans. serviced and have discovered there is no fluid in the sump. I've also just realized that the vehicle wasn't put up on the hoist to have the filters etc done. I feel sick in the stomach!

Sorry for the repeat. Something went wrong with the page.

Default Which AT Fluid for the TP?

Will you be so kind as to tell me what kind of AT fluid for 1990 TP EFI, please?

I hate to contradict the instruction given for checking the AT fluid, but it is incorrect.

From p. 158 of the Gregory's w/s manual 3. TRANSAXLE FLUID - TO CHECK LEVEL (3) With the engine idling, move the selector lever through all ranges and return the selector lever to the Neutral position.

I hate to contradict the instruction given for checking the AT fluid, but it is incorrect.

From p. 158 of the Gregory's w/s manual 3. TRANSAXLE FLUID - TO CHECK LEVEL (3) With the engine idling, move the selector lever through all ranges and return the selector lever to the Neutral position.

I can't drive the TP until I refill the fluid. Would something like Penrite from Autobarn do the job OK?

From "Magna Buff's" "TM/TP info page" thread:

Post #18

Automatic Information
    [.....]

To check the oil level cycle through the gears when hot on a level area engine running put into PARK, check dip stick , it needs to be between the hot and cold marks

Technical data
    Lubricant mitsubishi diamond spectrum ATF SP3 (front wheel drive automatics only) Capacity 5.8 Litres
    [.....]
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...l=1#post775317

It's just the regular grade Mitsubishi ATF still for sale from Mitsubishi dealers.

The price, last time I purchased some from Albion Park Mitsubishi over 12 months ago, was about $45 for 5 litres.

It is "backwards compatible" with the fluid that would have been in use when the TM/TP was on the market.

If you can't make it to a Mitsubishi dealer, a suitable alternative would be

CASTROL TRANSMAX MULTIVEHICLE

Input "1990 Mitsubishi Magna" into the search bar.

http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/castr_au/

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/ca...uid-4l-3371183

Pricewise, the Mitsubishi product represents better value per litre.

Penrite, and other manufacturers, will have similar products.

EDIT: It's a great shame to see Magna Buff's painstaking work uploading images documenting his work destroyed by hosting the images with "Photobucket".

There is a lesson in that for all of us.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 19-10-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Great, thanks for that.

Bud, I really appreciate that. But the outfit I took it to, is a "premier" AT centre! Go figure.

Anyway... yesterday when I was on the way home, I slowed down at a set of lights and "bang" it sounded and felt like I'd just run over a four inch deep pothole, it was that loud. Anyway I sort of tried to figure things out (Aspergers only runs in a straight line, so its taken me a while to figure this all out) checked the fluid and I felt quite ill.
    It was only done a couple of weeks ago it was done. And where the vehicle is parked on a concrete floor, here, there is not so much as a drop of any kind of fluid. Plus, I looked at the gasket on the trans. sump, and it hasn't been re-newed.

I found an outfit online, called Reliable Automatics and Auto's. It's over in Albion. I bet you'll probably know the outfit. Anyway, they have a great reputation, so on Tues. I'll get over there and sort things out.
    But only after I catch a cab to SuperCheap and get four litres of the fluid (and do a service fill) you recommended.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information