+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pioneer DMH-Z5150BT

Default Pioneer DMH-Z5150BT

Installed this into my 380 Series 3 Sports last week.

Install of the headunit was fairly straight forward, but getting the factory phone buttons working was a little more involved.

1. Removed the factory deck (note that as a sports it was built on the ES platform so had the standard radio and didnít require a fascia kit)
    2. Removed the factory bluetooth parrot kit. This is a pig of a job. Itís hard to get the metal bracket itís all mounted on up and over the bottom support. Itís easy to damage one of the aircon looms which runs across the back at the bottom. It also requires crawling into the footwell as all the factory Bluetooth kit is one tangled mess of a loom and has to come out as one. From under here, youíll have to remove the loom which goes to the answer/hangup buttons (which also includes an earth point which needs unscrewing). Youíll also need to pop off the front right windshield speaker to remove the factory Bluetooth microphone, I had to pull some aircon vents out to get it pulled through to under the dash.
    Pull that whole loom back through to where the radio is, and then the factory Bluetooth setup can be removed in all its ugly glory.
    3. I installed the aerpro APP0111 (post 1999 Mitsubishi to ISO) to the car loom. I then installed the APP8PIO8 (ISO to pioneer).
    4. Removed the install brackets off the factory head unit and installed them onto the Pioneer - note Pioneer use different gauge screws.
    5. Connected the handbrake switch to ground.
    6. Robbed the SWC female connector from the factory Bluetooth kit.
    7. Purchased a 3.5mm stereo jack to wires patch cable from an online electronics supplier, such as https://www.amazon.com.au/3-5mm-Ster.../dp/B004GIKSN6 The 3.5mm jack is what pioneer use for SWC inputs. What a pain. Connected the 3.5mm jack to the connector robbed in step 6 and connected to headunit.
    8. Placed the microphone alongside the instrument cluster rather than the factory location.

This is the basic setup, and was ready to go. No SWC adapter box required as this headunit has a learning mode.

Next, I had to get the factory answer/hangup buttons working with the new radio.
    1. Robbed the factory Bluetooth system female connector that went to the answer/hangup buttons
    2. Pulled the answer/hangup button apart. Discovered the centre 2 wires are for night illumination backlighting, and the two at the top are for answer, and two at the bottom for hangup. Connected this to a new 6 core cable. Reinstalled the buttons and ran the new cable up and over the steering shaft and to the back of the radio.
    3. Patched the illumination + and ground into one of the Aerpro harnesses.
    4. Installed a 330 ohm resistor on the answer and two 330 ohm (in series) to the hangup button wiring, then hooked this into the SWC input cable. Note this wonít work without some resistors, as the aftermarket stereo is a resistive system and the stock Bluetooth answer buttons are just essentially on or off switches.

Job done. Thereís a bit of trick to getting the learning mode to work for this pioneer deck, but it programmed up well. All the steering wheel and factory answer/hangup buttons work perfectly.

The DMH-Z5150BT
    - Iím very impressed. The difference between a Pioneer DMH and AVH product is essentially that the DMH doesnít retain a CD/DVD drive (and who uses them these days anyway).
    - It connects two Bluetooth simultaneously.
    - Audio quality craps all over the factory deck
    - Apple Carplay is fast, responsive and intuitive. Would have loved this wireless, but I decided to get cable only to force me to plug my phone in when I get in the car as I have a tendency to let my phone go flat during the day.
    - Google maps is great
    - Bluetooth phone quality is incredible. So clear.

Couldnít be happier. With the deck, a few harnesses ended up being about $500 all up for a great headunit.

Well done on providing a comprehensive report specific to a Mitsubishi vehicle.

Did you take any images of the process that you can upload?

No I didnít. Probably should have!

Just a question; does any one know which manufacturer supplied the original radio in the 380 GT.
    My 380 GTL came with the top of the range radio and I am sure it has capability for registering 2 BT devices.

The original radio/cd player was manufactured by Fujitsu 10. Some 380's if optioned for it had a double din Eclipse unit (also manufactured by fujitsu 10) fitted instead of the factory standard cd slot with separate display. Mitsubishi shifted its audio supplier to Fujitsu 10 after the Rallliart Magna, as Fujitsu 10 used the Ralliart Magna to showcase the Eclipse brand to Australia.
    2004 Saphire Blue TL AWD VRX

MMAL Great place to have worked, thanks for the 16 years.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information