+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear bump stops? New shocks leaking (TJ Sedan strut/shock absorber)

Warranty for sachs dampers seems to be 3 years/60000km I just called ZF Australia and say I have to go thru the seller. Will contact mitsfix again, not sure why he told me to go directly to them

Thanks Ricciardo. Spoke to mechanic this arvo, he uses sachs (over monroe wylie) and insists there'd be no issue getting warranty if they leaked. Luck of the draw?

I suggested koni and he thought they would be too hard for my use. Which is standard ride height and springs.

Havent seen his quite yet, but he promised it would hurt. Guess he DOES have a boat to support...

Lamenting the loss of Australian manufacturing.

1998 - 2005 Mirage - still missed
    2005 - TL AWD Magna still paying for upkeep

Pre `98 - non Mitsis including two Fords, a Toyota and a Daihatsu

Quote Originally Posted by an observer View Post
    Thanks Ricciardo. Spoke to mechanic this arvo, he uses sachs (over monroe wylie) and insists there'd be no issue getting warranty if they leaked. Luck of the draw?

I suggested koni and he thought they would be too hard for my use. Which is standard ride height and springs.

Havent seen his quite yet, but he promised it would hurt. Guess he DOES have a boat to support...

I haven't had time to reply to your earlier post yet but, just quickly, Koni Red are ADJUSTABLE.

They can be adjusted on the workbench, not whilst they are in the car.

If you purchased them from Mitsfix, and if you tell them about your car(standard TL AWD) I'm sure they will be able to supply them to you with the appropriate setting.

As your car is standard ride height/standard springs, your setting will probably be softer than mine, but firmer than other brands.

Not that my car is objectionably harsh.....just firm and controllable(except for the front.....which is still on Sachs until I can organise Bilstein replacements).

My mum went with me to Adelaide almost 5 years ago when I purchased my car and on the return trip to Sydney(where she lives) and afterwards remarked as to how comfortable my car was.

She also went with me to Melbourne last year when I had the Konis and new rear suspension bushes fitted(this was after the new springs had been previously fitted).

I did not comment on, and she did not pass comment on, the suspension work, as she would not understand it all.

She still thinks it is comfortable, and makes absolutely no adverse comments about the ride of my Magna, as opposed to my brother's 2004 Jeep Cherokee, which she thinks rides quite poorly(standard ride height on standard original springs).

The Bilsteins that I specially imported from the USA(Australian retailers much too expensive for an "off the shelf" product)** to attempt to improve the ride of the Jeep helped a little, but not much.

As distance is added(40-50,000km), the Konis can be removed and adjusted on the workbench to compensate for any wear.

Ultimately, they can be fully rebuilt as necessary, but I don't think that eventuality needs to be contemplated for many a year.

At the MitsFix price of $285 for a pair incl. postage, Koni Red rears are excellent value for money in comparison to cheaper brands.

It's a shame Koni Reds are no longer available for the front.

Based on the 12 months experience with the rears, I would be happy enough to have them.

Instead, I will need to organise Bilsteins as being the only better available option to the cheaper, more available, strut inserts.

One problem is the cost, and the necessity to leave my car with the fitter who needs to keep my car for anything up to a week to carry out a comprehensive "custom" installation.

It is very difficult to be without transport in a country area that has almost no public transport.

That, and the fact that the only people who can do the job are located in Sydney, 130 km away from where I live.

Anything up to a week, and up to $1,500 is admittedy, the worst case but it would be having the new Bilstein inserts specially valved to suit my particular Dobinsons springs and the main shaft being machined to suit the Magna strut top mount, and a custom "you beaut" wheel alignment etc.

Verbally, they will not commit to a more favourable assessment.

http://heasmans.com.au/

I have had work done there previously(having specially modified Bilstein inserts fitted to my R31 Skyline which I had imported from the USA to avoid their huge markup)** and it IS good(i.e. work carried out 100% correctly with no follow up to rectify defects needed and excellent performance of the part itself even 4 years later), just expensive.

I have been a long time hoping for a second hand set(NOT COILOVERS) that has already been modified to suit a TL/TW Magna would have cropped uo for sale on eBay, but so far, no such luck.

I could then just have the local suspension shop in Nowra install them in a few hours at minimal cost.

One day, perhaps.

**EDIT - Admittedly, when I imported these Bilstein parts from the USA rather than buy locally, I did not have to pay GST at time of import.

The subsequent introduction of GST on small value imports last year will have made the local importer seem somewhat less extortionate, but still.....

I have searched high & low for a Bilstein strut cartridge insert from the USA that will fit a Magna/Diamante strut, but I just can't do so with any certainty, so it would be a big risk.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 04-12-2019 at 06:24 PM.

finally found some useful shock absorber / damper failure info [testing image linking]

Quote Originally Posted by Ricciardo View Post
    [testing image linking]
    You're up and running in no time with the Imagevenue image hosting service.

"It's flamin' easy."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information