+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oddball JDM-but-Aus built KR wagon

Default Oddball JDM-but-Aus built KR wagon

Hey guys,

I not long ago picked up a 1995 Diamante 30R-SE wagon - built in South Australia, technically it's a KS Verada but it an export model designated K45/F07W. It is the top of the line 30R-SE so it has the Bosch 4 channel ABS with the larger twin pots up front and vented rotors at the rear, driver's SRS airbag, full leather interior, sunroof, electric driver's seat, electric antenna and roof rails.

Some JDM specific stuff I have noticed is the Daiko-Wesbasto sunroof, Diamante insignia monsoon shields, folding door mirrors, leather interior (which I believe not even the Aus market Verada wagon received) along with a factory TV tuner/radio headunit (which has long been removed). It of course is littered with Japanese stickers in place of the English stickers. It even had some Japanese receipts hiding under the rear seat from the late '90s when it was still in Japan!

Here it is as I picked it up, and next to my Japanese built but first-sold-in-New Zealand Diamante 30R-S AWD sedan (DOHC 6G72 powered):

[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/imxzoate.huq.jpeg/img]

Some of the JDM specific stuff:

I gave it a bit of a clean up, fixed up most of the problem items (broken antenna, sagging roof lining, leaking rocker cover gaskets, replaced crackling speakers, re-glued on the coming away door seals etc), ripped off the awful roof racks that would whistle in the wind, slapped on my gen1 GTO 16" wheels and gave the tail lamps a polish up/tint/clear seal treatment:

Future plans are to do a 5-speed conversion (if/when I can find a Magna V6 gearbox!), maybe even 6G74/6G75 swap it as the 6G72 12V is just a little weak in the power department. Wouldn't mind hitting it with the lowering stick too.

Nice interior.
    Lamenting the loss of Australian manufacturing.

1998 - 2005 Mirage - still missed
    2005 - TL AWD Magna still paying for upkeep

Pre `98 - non Mitsis including two Fords, a Toyota and a Daihatsu

If you think the wagon is nice, you should see the interior of the sedan I have!

Absolutely, lets see it.

Theres some leather seats and door trims that would suit my car but they're in another state. Freight costs rule it out.

Swap in a 6G75 with a manual, it'll go a lot better than the fork truck engine you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by an observer View Post
    Absolutely, lets see it.

Theres some leather seats and door trims that would suit my car but they're in another state. Freight costs rule it out.
    Everything about the interior on the sedan feels more premium, the leather feels more supple and it's all about the little details - on the wagon the leather portions on the door trims look to be stuck on top of the existing door cards whereas the sedan door cards have the leather beautifully integrated in. The window switches on the wagon look to be straight out of the earlier generation HG/HH Galant and the door locks are from the TM-TP Magna! The whole design of the door cards is actually different on the JDM sedans, even the speaker placement is different. The ashtrays on the rear doors pop out with a controlled motion much the same as the glove box (ie they have the friction gear control). The sedan has both driver's and passenger electric seats with memory seat control, the rear view mirror is automatically adjusting, it has auto headlights etc. There's a trip computer screen that also doubles as a system monitor, and the front air vents even swing side to side on their own should you press the 'Swing' button! The climate control is the same as the early GTO/3000GT with colour animations of where the air is flowing etc. Under the steering wheel by the driver's knee there is an additional 12V cig lighter socket and the boot release is an electric push button.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob's 380 View Post
    Swap in a 6G75 with a manual, it'll go a lot better than the fork truck engine you currently have.
    Definitely a plan if I keep it for the long term. I'm living in Canada right now and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any 6G75 MIVEC goodies like cylinder heads, pistons and lower manifold section that I could perhaps convert a local 6G75 to MIVEC. I already have a couple 380 upper inlet manifolds that I am going to modify for both the Diamantes. The original 12V engine is not too bad at all, for some reason the JDM version has a few less hp than the Aus/US models but it does have a bit extra low down torque (an extra 10Nm). For something that has done almost 230,000kms it's still quiet, smooth and doesn't burn oil. Even the transmission still shifts perfectly! The 4G54 on the other hand... now that's a truck engine!

Thanks for the images, that interior is tastefully done and has dated well. Those dash numerals look similar to the tj model.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information