+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Earthing Point Horn

Default Earthing Point Horn

G'day all,

Could someone please post a picture of the earthing point/bolt on the right hand side of a TL Magna, where the horn bracket attaches too. I recently had some work carried out and and from memory I am sure there was an earth wire attached to the earth bolt with the horn. I have had a look around near the washer bottle but am unable to locate a stray earthing wire.

The workshop manual is not really clear but appears too show a wire on the grounding diagrams.

Cheers
    2004 Saphire Blue TL AWD VRX

MMAL Great place to have worked, thanks for the 16 years.

Just had a look at mine, it only has one plug to it. It may be that the bracket is the earth to the chassis. Mine still works. It may be there is a wire loose behind the driver's airbag or fuse blown on either the engine bay fuse box or the inside drivers fuse box.
    AMC///WA
    My Ride

The horn is grounded through the chassis of the horn and itís connection bolt.

There is only one wire which comes from the horn relay which carries power when the relay gets triggered.

Mike
    Current Ride D3 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro Sport
    Current Ride 2004 KL Verada AWD
    Previous 3rd Gen's
    TE Magna Advance
    TF Magna Sports
    KH Verada XI
    TJ Magna S2 Advance
    TJ Magna VRX LE Sable
    TL Magna VR LE
    KL Verada AWD Leather Pack

Cheers guys, Horn is working fine the plug was damaged.

Upon looking at the workshop manual, it does show that the horn bolt is an earth point that has a grounding wire, but I can't seem to find evidence of one. Seems strange that this earth bolt is larger compared to other earthing bolts in the engine bay. Now just trying to get to the bottom of why now my headlights flare when the ac clutch kicks in. All research seems to suggest a grounding issue as the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig O View Post
    Cheers guys, Horn is working fine the plug was damaged.

Upon looking at the workshop manual, it does show that the horn bolt is an earth point that has a grounding wire, but I can't seem to find evidence of one. Seems strange that this earth bolt is larger compared to other earthing bolts in the engine bay. Now just trying to get to the bottom of why now my headlights flare when the ac clutch kicks in. All research seems to suggest a grounding issue as the cause.
    For that I would absolutely look into the Voltage regulator. You can replace them as they do wear.

From my experience the TJ and early TL cars had some which were bad and the dodgy regs did a lot of damage to the BEM's in the cars.

But have a look at your voltage reg on the alternator, expect 200,000klms or so before replacement like most wear points on cars.

Mike
    Previous 3rd Gen's
    TE Magna Advance
    TF Magna Sports
    KH Verada XI
    TJ Magna S2 Advance
    TJ Magna VRX LE Sable
    TL Magna VR LE

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_xi View Post
    For that I would absolutely look into the Voltage regulator. You can replace them as they do wear.

From my experience the TJ and early TL cars had some which were bad and the dodgy regs did a lot of damage to the BEM's in the cars.

But have a look at your voltage reg on the alternator, expect 200,000klms or so before replacement like most wear points on cars.

Mike
    My voltage regulator had been playing up for about a year, and the other night when I was driving the headlights flared a few time and I thought when I get home I will take the regulator out and order a new one, but before I got home the headlights flared very bright again and all the lights blew except for one low beam globe, high beam and left hand low beam don't work, I was hoping it was just a fuse but I can't find a fuse that has gone so it must be globes. Hope its only the headlights and nothing else that has been damaged by the voltage surge.

Just a further update, I had the alternator replaced as a bearing was going and was the cause of a noise I had. The flaring has ceased, but I now have a slight voltage drop when the AC clutch cuts in. I measured it with a multimeter, and the alternator is supplying 14.4 volts to the batt but when the AC clutch cuts in the voltage momentarily drips to 13.5ish volts, causing my headlights to visibly dim. I had a new battery fitted at the time of the alternator replacement. I have not had this evident before. The replacement alternator was a Bosch unit @ 108 amps. I am still thinking it could be a crook earth connection?

Hi Craig,

Have a look near the fenders behind the lights on both sides. Have a check of the earth bolts there. Those are the two main earth points for the engine harness. Make sure they are clean and possibly remove the bolt, and clean the surface.
    Previous 3rd Gen's
    TE Magna Advance
    TF Magna Sports
    KH Verada XI
    TJ Magna S2 Advance
    TJ Magna VRX LE Sable
    TL Magna VR LE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information