+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: TJ Magna transmission in a KJ Verada

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoTS View Post
    Hi Spetz, just a little question by the sump do you mean the sump thing where the dipstick goes in? its mounted on side of the transmission and not the bottom, I was thinking about taking mine off and seeing if I can find the bits of the wave spring
    On page 160 of 172 in this F5a51 automatic transmission overhaul guide(covers Mitsubishi and Kia variants):

https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content...logs/F5A51.pdf

you will see the side transmission pan AKA valve body cover and the valve body itself.

You would need to remove the valve body components to get to what may be considered to be the "sump", where any nasty broken bits and pieces may end up.

To me, that would be a big and fiddly job.

In the rear cover(on passengers side behind a plastic shield once the car is jacked up and passengers wheel removed) the magnetic drain plug will be seen.

That is where it is possible to go "fishing" for any broken wave spring bits.

A flexible magnetic probe will be useful here, which is what I used to find.....well, nothing actually.

HAPPY DAYS.

A more expanded view of the side pan/valve body can be seen on page 1 of 10 of the source I posted in post #15 above:

https://www.transmax.co.nz/pdfs/MITS...A,%20F5A51.pdf

When I did my first drain & fill of my AWD transmission about 5 years ago, I was very happy to undo the transmission plug & find a complete absence of ANY foreign material, fur, fuzz, adhering to the magnetic plug.

There were no wave spring bits either.

The next drain & fill I did through the side valve cover dip stick, and I did not check for any foreign material(I forgot that I could have inserted the magnetic probe down the dipstick hole, but as I said, I forgot).

When Brendan at Mits-Fix did a complete flush 2 years ago when I had the 380 transplant carried out he made no mention of any nasties in the fluid drained.

My transmission still feels A1.

Partly because of this, I have delayed fitting an external transmission cooler.

Contributing to this delay was the lack of knowing which direction the fluid flowed in and out of the transmission.

I have now found out where to look.

The fluid flow direction is clearly shown on page 38/172 in the guide.

Looking from above, the fluid flows "clockwise".

It takes away the guesswork and fiddling finding which pipe is the warmer of the two.

Probably, flow direction would not be important using most types of cooler, or most setups.

However, I plan on using what might be termed a "directional" cooler with a built in thermostat where flow direction is important, hence the need to know fluid flow direction.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; 12-10-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot6 View Post
    On page 160 of 172 in this F5a51 automatic transmission overhaul guide(covers Mitsubishi and Kia variants):

https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content...logs/F5A51.pdf

you will see the side transmission pan AKA valve body cover and the valve body itself.

You would need to remove the valve body components to get to what may be considered to be the "sump", where any nasty broken bits and pieces may end up.

To me, that would be a big and fiddly job.

In the rear cover(on passengers side behind a plastic shield once the car is jacked up and passengers wheel removed) the magnetic drain plug will be seen.

That is where it is possible to go "fishing" for any broken wave spring bits.

A flexible magnetic probe will be useful here, which is what I used to find.....well, nothing actually.

HAPPY DAYS.

A more expanded view of the side pan/valve body can be seen on page 1 of 10 of the source I posted in post #15 above:

https://www.transmax.co.nz/pdfs/MITS...A,%20F5A51.pdf

When I did my first drain & fill of my AWD transmission about 5 years ago, I was very happy to undo the transmission plug & find a complete absence of ANY foreign material, fur, fuzz, adhering to the magnetic plug.

There were no wave spring bits either.

The next drain & fill I did through the side valve cover dip stick, and I did not check for any foreign material(I forgot that I could have inserted the magnetic probe down the dipstick hole, but as I said, I forgot).

When Brendan at Mits-Fix did a complete flush 2 years ago when I had the 380 transplant carried out he made no mention of any nasties in the fluid drained.

My transmission still feels A1.

Partly because of this, I have delayed fitting an external transmission cooler.

Contributing to this delay was the lack of knowing which direction the fluid flowed in and out of the transmission.

I have now found out where to look.

The fluid flow direction is clearly shown on page 38/172 in the guide.

Looking from above, the fluid flows "clockwise".

It takes away the guesswork and fiddling finding which pipe is the warmer of the two.

Probably, flow direction would not be important using most types of cooler, or most setups.

However, I plan on using what might be termed a "directional" cooler with a built in thermostat where flow direction is important, hence the need to know fluid flow direction.
    Hi Leadfoot6, thank you so much for all the info its very much appreciated, thank you so much, cheers Dean

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoTS View Post
    Hi Leadfoot6, thank you so much for all the info its very much appreciated, thank you so much, cheers Dean
    No problems.

I also got worthwhile information from the exercise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information