+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 380: leaving headlights on?

Default 380: leaving headlights on?

My TW magna has a buzzer warning in case I leave the headlights on. MY new (to me) 380 does not. It's only a matter of time before I come back to a flat battery. Is this a fault in my car? Or just the way it comes?
    Thanks

A brief, easy, search shows this thread:

http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107396

It suggests that there is a buzzer system installed in 380's.

I am not sure if it is standard across the whole range, or missing from the lower specification or earlier build models.

As I don't own a 380, I am unable to look into this much further, other than pointing to the brochure publication:

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/M...chure_2008.pdf

It is correct for S111 models, but will differ to some extent for earlier series.

Towards the rear, pages 24/25 of 28, it lists equipment specifications.

I looked, but I can't see any specific reference to a "headlight on buzzer", or similar.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; Yesterday at 12:34 AM.

Here is more discussion from another thread:

This is what I found on the workshop manual on how the lights switch works:

Headlamp automatic-shutdown function even f the lighting switch (tail lamps switch or headlamp switch) is ON, the headlamps (including the tail lamps) will automatically go off in the following conditions to prevent the battery
    from discharging as a result of forgetting to turn off lamps.
    - If the ignition key is turned from “ON” to “LOCK” (OFF) or “ACC” position with the lighting switch turned ON, and this state continues for three minutes, the headlamps will automatically be turned off.
    - If the driver’s seat door is opened during these three minutes, the headlamps will go off one second later.

NOTE: The headlamp automatic-shutoff function can be customized on vehicles equipped with a multi-center display (middle grade type). Refer to P.548-486.

Dimmer automatic reset function
    - If the headlamp switch is turned off while the high-beam headlamps are on, the dimmer switch will be reset. Because of this, the headlamps will illuminate at low beam the next time that they are turned on.
    The dimmer switch will be also reset if the dimmer switch is turned on unintentionally while the passing switch is operated.
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...=1#post1612801

Once again, I am unsure as to which 380 model/year the above information relates to.

Have you had a chance to read the owners manual yet relating to your new purchase?

It might be a good place to start.

Has it been through the recall procedure touched on in the above thread that relates to circuit boards/lights?

Mitsubishi Australia has recalled more than 110,000 vehicles over a defect with the circuit board in the cars’ turn signals and lighting switches.

The recall affects 114,862 Mitsubishi models including approximately 91,000 Colt, Lancer, Evo, Grandis and 380 passenger cars and roughly 23,000 Outlander and Pajero SUVs produced between 2004 and 2008.

Affected by the recall is the DB-series 380 built between 2005 and 2008, 2004-2008 RG Colt, 2004-2008 BA Grandis, 2005-2007 Lancer and Evo, 2005-2007 Outlander, and 2005-2006 Pajero.

The official recall notice published on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website explains:

“Due to inappropriate structure of the base for the lighting switch platform, a crack may develop in the soldering in the printed circuit board between the base and the platform caused by the repeated heating cycle of expansion and contraction.

“In the worst case scenario, the cracked portion could cause a temporary continuity failure resulting in a situation where the headlamps and/or turn signal lamps turn off, do not turn on or stay on. This may pose an accident hazard to the driver and other road users.”

[.....]
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/301502/...-board-defect/

The above recall suggests that there might be some connection between a faulty circuit board and your specific lighting problem.

I'm not 100% certain that a bad PCB is the cause, just that it would be useful to check this off your list of potential problems.
    Last edited by leadfoot6; Yesterday at 01:45 AM.

Here is another pertinent thread - found through the "Technical Archive" sticky thread.:

Quote Originally Posted by RustySpoon View Post
    I could have sworn that my headlights automatically shut-off when I turned off the ingition. Since I have reset my battery it just beeps when you leave the headlights on and turn off the ingition - and the headlights remain on.

Anyone know how to re-activate this?

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by s311_bvm View Post
    This can be found on page 3-43 of the Owners Manual.

Via the center display you can select three options, they are:
    A, Off after 1 minute,
    B, Off after 3 minutes, and
    C, Stay on

The default is A off after 1 minute
    http://www.aussiemagna.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88832
    Last edited by leadfoot6; Yesterday at 01:57 AM.

If you would like to avoid reading most of the owners manual typed out,

The headlights have an auto switch off feature, the park lamps do not and the parklamps are capable of activating a buzzer. You are able to leave the headlights on always in the 380.

Mike
    Current Ride D3 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro Sport
    Current Ride 2004 KL Verada AWD
    Previous 3rd Gen's
    TE Magna Advance
    TF Magna Sports
    KH Verada XI
    TJ Magna S2 Advance
    TJ Magna VRX LE Sable
    TL Magna VR LE
    KL Verada AWD Leather Pack

Ok thanks, looks like this won't the problem I thought it might have been.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information