+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "Job Cuts"

PS: Maybe this thread should be moved to another forum... it's definitely off topic now

Formerly: liverpool_rule_88 NORBY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killbilly
    It's not the Govt's fault. They designed a bad looking car...it doesnt sell.

It's not rocket science, it's MMAL's fault. I don't want to see my tax money going to flog a dead horse.
    wat he said
    [NORBY]
    TEAM
    PINK USERNAME

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha-wombat View Post
    Noise is a byproduct of AWESOME

wow
    some people here have a clue about economics
    good stuff...

I wouldn't say bad - I'd say uninspiring. The thing the government is at fault for is reducing protection for the local automotive industry.

It's not rocket science, it's MMAL's fault. I don't want to see my tax money going to flog a dead horse.
    Not correct. MMC designed the Galant so it is their fault. MMAL did the best they could with limited resources to change the donor Galant to the 380. They had a budget of $600 million of which almost a third was spent on modifications to the Tonsley Park assembly plant. Therefore less than $500 million was spent on the Mitsubishi 380 project. Ford and Holden will spend inexcess of $1 billion each for their all new models.

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
    Therefore less than $500 million was spent on the Mitsubishi 380 project.
    FF
    So for me that mean that Mitsubishi design team is overpayed, ignorant and useless, coz they redesigned Boulay’s model - nobody else. They knew from beginning that most people around the world doesn’t like Boulay’s ideas and MMJapan kick him out because of it, but MMAL was ignoring this fact and now they paying the price. BTW if I correctly remember Ford is spending appro. $25K on each new clay model. (full size). Even MMAL can afford to spend that much or even triple on each clay model, just to see how it looks before company will go ahead with project and spend so much money down the drain.. For sure incompetent person (team) took wrong decision and now many people will suffer.

Hmmmmmm...interesting arguments, and a little off topic, but..... the truth is, if Mitsubishi does withdraw from Australian Manufacturering it will be disastrous for the Australian economy.
    Is the answer to increase tarrifs? Definately NO, we don't want a return to bad old days of poor quality Australian cars!
    Do we still want an Australian car industry? Gawd I'd hope so. Its not just car imports that have gone up to 75%. People are buying imports in general in bigger and bigger amounts. And a lot of the time its to just save a few cents. Look at the recent A current affair story with orange farmers plowing orange tree's into the ground, unable to compete against cheaper imports.
    Its all very well to say if Australian business can't compete 'then too bad people will buy the imports', but I think this is a very very sad indictment on our society, and a simplistic answer. A country of 20 million with high standards of living will never compete against Asian countries that pay workers $50 a week! We really do need to get behind our local manufacturer's.
    (and yes I have always owned Australian cars, and always buy Australian where I can)
    I think the question is do we want jobs for our kids in the future, or are we happy to buy more and more imports.

Quote Originally Posted by REV937
    So for me that mean that Mitsubishi design team is overpayed, ignorant and useless, coz they redesigned Boulay’s model - nobody else. They knew from beginning that most people around the world doesn’t like Boulay’s ideas and MMJapan kick him out because of it, but MMAL was ignoring this fact and now they paying the price. BTW if I correctly remember Ford is spending appro. $25K on each new clay model. (full size). Even MMAL can afford to spend that much or even triple on each clay model, just to see how it looks before company will go ahead with project and spend so much money down the drain.. For sure incompetent person (team) took wrong decision and now many people will suffer.

NOT CORRECT.
    Mitsubishi Australia had a replacement model almost ready to go for the TJ Magna. Boulay was the head designer at the time for all of Mitsubishi's world wide design. He had the backing of Mitsubishi Japan, and over ruled Mitsubishi Australia's design, despite protests from local Mitsubishi Australia executives. What a pity, from what I have been told the TJ update that the Australian design team had come up with was a lot better looker, even though it wasn't as substantial as the Boulay redesign. I think the TJ was goodlooking (and still is) to begin with, so why mess so much with it for gawds sake, just refine it! Imagine how well the AWD would have sold if it didn't have those ugly headlights!! If only
    Anyway as they say its all history now, Boulay's design was a sales flop, he was sacked as Mitsubishi head of Design (they called it a mutual agreement to part) after other flops around the world, and the poor 380 was launched with Mitsubishi's name already being mud, and an up hill battle to sell. Who here has driven one? They are a very very good drive, and I'd recommend it.
    And who here thinks they are ugly? I think the 380 VRX and GT are lookers. The 380 was shown to numerous review groups to see if the limited funds MMAL was given to update the Galant design could be made as attractive as possible to Australian motorists. It came out on top in all of them. Poor MMAL must be wondering what they have to do. Unfortunately timing got them with huge fuel price increases (it hurt all big cars).
    But lets hope the market recovers, and more people buy 380's, falcons, Commodores and Camrys! Its good for the economy

Quote Originally Posted by wilsact
    Mitsubishi Australia had a replacement model almost ready to go for the TJ Magna. Boulay was the head designer at the time for all of Mitsubishi's world wide design. He had the backing of Mitsubishi Japan, and over ruled Mitsubishi Australia's design, despite protests from local Mitsubishi Australia executives. What a pity, from what I have been told the TJ update that the Australian design team had come up with was a lot better looker, even though it wasn't as substantial as the Boulay redesign. I think the TJ was goodlooking (and still is) to begin with, so why mess so much with it for gawds sake, just refine it!
    Hey don't know if you have noticed but every magna model (gen2 & gen3 mainly) has always shared a design relation to the lancer. The centre pillar was removed on the TL to make way for the 380 and at the same time the CH lancer also had the centre pillar removed. What I'm trying to say is that the front end always has some design relationship to the larger car being the 380 or the Magna. So perhaps looking at the upcoming GS based Sport-back Lancer's front end (also on EVOX concept) could be enlarged, slightly redesigned to appear on the future 380 models? I just looks so much more bloody agressive then any other car and really makes a statement, something Mitsu needs. If they could some how intergrate those lights, that grill onto the front end of the 380 it should and will sell like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by REV937
    The decision to use the Galant as the donor vehicle for the Magna replacement was made in 2002. This was long before Daimler-Chrysler bailing out of MMC which occured April 2004. Not long after the bailout a lot of D-C appointed people departed MMC and Boulay was one of them.

Here is some information of interest about Oliver Boulay.

MMC didn't have the final say on styling direction prior to April 2004 as D-C had controlling interest of MMC until that date. By April 2004 it was too late for MMAL as the TL/KL Magna/Verada had already been released in late 2003 and MMC had committed MMAL to the Galant. The 380 project was too far advanced to stop or change significantly. And even if MMAL could have changed from the Galant there were no other suitable donor vehicles in MMC's catalogue as the Diamante model had been discontinued.

MMAL restyled the front of the Galant after Boulay's depature. This why the 380 has a unique look compared to the Galant. This is all MMAL could do with the time and funds they had at their disposal. If they had more of both then I am confident that more changes would have been introduced.

Therefore I think you statement "So for me that mean that Mitsubishi design team is overpayed, ignorant and useless" is unjustified as you are not aware of the circumstances which resulted in the 380 being released in its current form.

FF

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information