+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FYI - '03 TL LS Stereo Wire Colour Code

Quote Originally Posted by Archon View Post
    Hearty thanks for this wiring guide, It made the installation of the new headunit easy, well, ish, soldering those wires in that confined space was a b*tch...
    Don't solder them, use block connectors. Come in strips of 12, break them off in pairs, use them for the 4 audio pairs and 1 power pair.
    Works for me anyway.

"Funny" story:
    Did my third Pioneer radio install today.
    First: (TS) used block connectors, labelled the Pioneer plug and wires with labels from the manual that came with the radio.
    Cut pairs of wires off the original car plug and transferred them to the Pioneer loom. Used location of the wires instead of the wire colours to avoid confusion, after looking up which wired did what.
    Problems: Two power connectors were reversed. Some of the speakers were not wired correctly when using fade and balance on the radio, pulled it apart and put the pairs in the right place.

Second: (TJ) Whimped out and bought aerpro connectors, all worked well.

Third: (TL) Used the method for the first one, same problems happened. Blamed myself for the first stuff up, but was extra careful this time. So one of the diagrams is wrong, either the one in the manual that comes with the radio, or the on line one from InstallDoctors.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/M...shi-Wiring.pdf

Checked this one against the workshop manual, seems legit. Must be the Pioneer info. So test out your Pioneer install before making your wiring permanent!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    Don't solder them, use block connectors. Come in strips of 12, break them off in pairs, use them for the 4 audio pairs and 1 power pair.
    Works for me anyway.

"Funny" story:
    Did my third Pioneer radio install today.
    First: (TS) used block connectors, labelled the Pioneer plug and wires with labels from the manual that came with the radio.
    Cut pairs of wires off the original car plug and transferred them to the Pioneer loom. Used location of the wires instead of the wire colours to avoid confusion, after looking up which wired did what.
    Problems: Two power connectors were reversed. Some of the speakers were not wired correctly when using fade and balance on the radio, pulled it apart and put the pairs in the right place.

Second: (TJ) Whimped out and bought aerpro connectors, all worked well.

Third: (TL) Used the method for the first one, same problems happened. Blamed myself for the first stuff up, but was extra careful this time. So one of the diagrams is wrong, either the one in the manual that comes with the radio, or the on line one from InstallDoctors.

Checked this one against the workshop manual, seems legit. Must be the Pioneer info. So test out your Pioneer install before making your wiring permanent!
    PLease dont recommend block connectors behind head units.

There exist plug and play ISO harness you can buy for FA. The additional plug is either the factory phone input plug or depending on spec, steering wheel remote wire also.

Best ever method of doing this, is to buy the harness adapter, and simply make a small extension harness with your new HU plug. SOLDER the connections and securely tape them individually and loom them so they don't move around independantly. This way, the adapter is strong, you do not destroy the factroy harness, and you can make another one if you need to replace or remove the HU later.

Here is the golden tip. Have a look at the factory harness. Mitsubishi have the best harness' of all the local manufacturers. Make your wiring match it in the context of joints and looming. Anything less than that, is a waste of everyones time.
    Last edited by mcs_xi; 10-01-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Former Car KH Verada XI 3.8 5 speed Auto
    Current Ride D3 Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro Sport
    Current Ride 2017 Skoda Octavia RS Wagon
    Current Work Car 97 Red TF Sports 3.0 Manual

Mike

Worked out the problem.
    For the lower section, it says "as viewed from the mating end of the connector", which I assume means looking into the plug openings, but it's an ambiguous statement at best.

The plug connectors are actually shown from the back of the plug, ie the side the wires go in.
    I ended up wiring in reverse, ie the back speakers come out the front, and the front out the back, and the two power leads end up transposed. (left and right still work ok though)
    Seeing I have fade and balance usually set to zero, it makes little difference.

Just as well I DIDN'T solder everything up.

PS> I LIKE block connectors.
    Last edited by MadMax; 12-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.

When looking for something else, I found a link to information(images included) that I considered might be useful for someone at some time:

http://todayguesswhat.blogspot.com/2...d-unit-in.html

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information